Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Musical Moron - rise of the Non Musician

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 11:03

That said, loosen up a little or just don't play with him. If he didn't think your advice was applicable, maybe it wasn't as far as his goals are concerned. Or maybe you didn't really demonstrate well enough how it could be applicable. People retain information they care about. What he needs to know is why he should care about the info that's being presented to him. No need to rant about him on the internet. What kind of music does he play?
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 11:14
Semi related, I find those commercials with people and puppets and whatever else singing cutely off key irritating as heck. 

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Dragon Drop View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 12:21
I once had a co-employee who was like that with computers. He thought he knew all about them, but OMG -- if his job involved using a computer, the company would have been bankrupt in 10 minutes. I think he was a night watchman or a security guard.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 14:37
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Where I sympathise with Dave is that I'm a believer in the notion that if you know nothing about a subject you should shut the f**k up about it. Knowledge and expertise are actual things, and there are few people more tiresome than the loquacious man with an opinion about everything and a clue about nothing.

That man is head of our executive branch of government with millions of similar types around every corner that put him there. It would be a beautiful thing if they/he would just stick to being bad at music.
It did occur to me that the description fit Individual #1 quite well...perhaps he can play the maraccas.

We have our own versions this side of the pond too, sadly.

Edited by Mascodagama - March 01 2019 at 14:38
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 14:46
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Hilarious -

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 15:22
This thread needs a soundtrack and a reminder of the reality of the world.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 02:23
Thanks, folks. It's not - honestly - an ad hominem attack on one individual - there are countless thousands like him - not is it "just don't play with him" - it was more a case of - for ten years, not even being able to get away from him or pull him up. "Works environment". 

You know when some nut case appears on a show like "Britain's got talent" - and they're clearly utterly talentless and self deluded and argumentative ? Now imagine not being able to get rid of them. For ten years. 

I think I mentioned I've been a teacher, and I go absolutely out of my way to help anyone. If someone is interested in learning music, I will help them, no matter what. The world needs more musicians  - proper ones. 

What it doesn't need is more people who THINK they're musicians, who show off the little they do know to appear "important". God, no. It used to happen back in the 70's and 80's, but with the rise of the internet, people are convincing themselves that watching a few YouTube videos and reading a few Wiki pages that they are some kind of authority. It seems to becoming endemic.

Musical snob, no. Everyone on this forum enjoys music which is written and performed by people with a high degree of skill. Progressive music stands out like a rare island in a sea of mediocrity and lack of talent. Let's encourage proper musicianship and the dedication it takes to craft proper music. And hope the idiots all go far, far away. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 02:28
As for "orchestral musicians are not musicians", which certain rodents on this forum like pulling me up about. 

Put an orchestral musician in an improvising jazz gig - they won't be able to play.
Put a non sight reading jazz musician in an orchestral setting - they won't be able to play.

Ditto for studio and live musicians (in a lot of cases). 

But that's not the argument here. The argument is that a chord jingle jangler is not any form of musician. They are someone who just plays by rote, it's like some kind of musical paint by numbers. Yes, they might enjoy jingle jangling, but when they start imagining that they're possessed of a massive talent, they've crossed the line of acceptability. 

The problem is that we only have one catch all term, "musician". 

Perhaps it's important that musicians create something. Where I think it becomes interesting is when they create something unusual and interesting - and it's their own work. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 10:06
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

So what? Not everyone has the same skills, motivation, knowledge, practice, and time to become proficient, let alone master, an instrument -- or any subject for that matter. If jingle-jangling some chords and blabbing technical nonsense is his speed, let him! I'm sure he's happy.

Your post sounds awfully judgemental and snobby, calling someone a moron, idiot and imbecile just because they're not as good as you.

Peter Michael Hamel in his book ... FROM MUSIC TO THE SELF ... which is not a fun read for most of us, I do not think, since it is very academic and very much a book that puts down pop music and the aforementioned folks that do not know music.

There was a joke in it, though that I have always remembered.

There was an old man playing an instrument on top of the hill, and it had one string, and he kept plunking it ... and saying ... I GOT IT ... I GOT IT ... and everyone that came by would say ... WHAT's HE GOT?

The only part that bothers me about the comment is not Dave's real thought though ... I think he merely means at least folks that want to communicate musically, SHOULD/COULD have a reasonable knowledge of something or other ... in order to make this communication work ... however, even Dave forgets one of the most important things in music ... and you can find it in Robert Wyatt's book, when they were recording Syd Barrett ... and after an attempt to record some song, one of the guys turned to Robert and asked ... what key is he playing in? ... and Robert says ... he don't know the keys ... he just plays!

AND, if Robert is right, and I think he is considering his experience and expertise, I would imagine that Dave also needs to learn to listen to things, and not be so methodical about how he plays his OWN music ... and I think even other musicians, that are not as concerned with "keys" as they are with the flow of the material regardless ... and it's not like the 20th century was the one that took keys and threw them up in the air like Burroughs did with words ... it's not about "melody" necessarily is my thought altogether. I'm sure Dave will disagree with me on this. But I doubt that he will comment fairly ... his work is too "methodical" for my tastes, although it is VERY NICE and has wonderful moments!

Edited by moshkito - March 09 2019 at 07:28
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 10:20
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

What it doesn't need is more people who THINK they're musicians, who show off the little they do know to appear "important". God, no. It used to happen back in the 70's and 80's, but with the rise of the internet, people are convincing themselves that watching a few YouTube videos and reading a few Wiki pages that they are some kind of authority. It seems to becoming endemic.

Musical snob, no. Everyone on this forum enjoys music which is written and performed by people with a high degree of skill. Progressive music stands out like a rare island in a sea of mediocrity and lack of talent. Let's encourage proper musicianship and the dedication it takes to craft proper music. And hope the idiots all go far, far away. 

The only thing that scares me, Dave, is that the assumption is that the only thing that can possibly be called MUSIC, is the stuff that can be defined and delineated by the standards that music history has given us.

The main issue, as I see it, is that this has prevented a lot of folks, HERE AS WELL, that will not listen to music from other cultures, because they do not "follow" the same music rules that are "established" ... instead of using what their culture taught them.

This was specially bad in the 60's when a lot of African music became available and heard ... and a lot of folks were calling many of those things "not music", or "cheap music", or worse ... the old lady coming out of the EAST MEETS WEST concert our choir class went to see in Chicago, with Menuhin and Shankar, and in her group of ten women, of which she was undoubtedly the queen, she says ... "how can they call all that improvisation ... music!"

True improvisation, is about no rules, no definitions and no structures ... with the hope of finding something within it. AND it WORKS, in theater with actors ... and I believe it also works in music, as exemplified by the early folks in Germany and what is considered "krautrock".

But, eventually, we always return to "what we know" ... see that film tribute concert for Jaki Liebzeit ... and Michael Rother wanted to play without a rehearsal, and when you see and hear him ... it's like the early "krautrock" all over again ... not a single feel of "western music" ... and I doubt that many of them even gave a darn about which key anyone was in ... it just works together somehow ... and even with no structure being defined, there it is ... live ... in front of you!

On a Bruce Springsteen special, the violinist SHANKAR, is playing with Bruce, and he stops and asks ... wow man, what key are you in? ... and he says ... you no worry Bruce, you just play and I join in on you! Hindu music has different structures and things that we do not recognize or understand, too! And I suppose that we could say ... listen to as well!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 11:52

The problem is that we only have one catch all term, "musician". 

Perhaps it's important that musicians create something. Where I think it becomes interesting is when they create something unusual and interesting - and it's their own work. 

I use the term differently ... "musician" is the bar professional, that sometimes most of the pop bands and folks around you and I, are ... unfortunately!

The others, I call "artists" because they know a bit more than just "music" ... and how to color it so that it means something and it talks in its own language ... something that we all love!

Musicians, are a dime a dozen, you could say, and the basic learning in school and college and university, does not an "artist" make whatsoever, although there are a lot of very good "technicians" that know how to cover their abilities so well, that it makes it hard to tell the difference ... in fact, sometimes it blurs the difference badly!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 17:49

As for "orchestral musicians are not musicians", which certain rodents on this forum like pulling me up about. 

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

A lot of classically trained musicians can't play anything without sheet music, would you label them as "non-musicians" as well? Tongue

We did disagree on this issue on a much older thread from which I did quote you earlier. Is a wombat/Vompatti a rodent? You appear to be getting us confused. It might be best you take the matter up with Vompatti

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 08 2019 at 18:36
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 20:17
Hi,

BTW, I would not call that person a "non-musician". I keep thinking that a DAW wannabe musician is probably more like it! Change this note and invent a human feeling ... hmmmm ... you think robots will do it better?
www.pedrosena.com
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 21:04
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

A lot of classically trained musicians can't play anything without sheet music, would you label them as "non-musicians" as well? Tongue

We did disagree on this issue on a much older thread from which I did quote you earlier. Is a wombat/Vompatti a rodent? You appear to be getting us confused. It might be best you take the matter up with Vompatti

Most certainly not.

As nouns the difference between marsupial and rodent is that marsupial is a mammal of which the female has a pouch in which it rears its young, which are born immature, through early infancy, such as the kangaroo or koala, or else pouchless members of the marsupialia like the shrew opposum while rodent is (senseid)a mammal of the order rodentia, characterized by long incisors that grow continuously and are worn down by gnawing.

As adjectives the difference between marsupial and rodent is that marsupial is of or pertaining to a marsupial while rodent is gnawing; biting; corroding; applied to a destructive variety of cancer or ulcer. 
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 21:35
I don't know what this has to do with Wombats, which are reptiles.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 02:28
Just like ducks, then ? 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 02:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

So what? Not everyone has the same skills, motivation, knowledge, practice, and time to become proficient, let alone master, an instrument -- or any subject for that matter. If jingle-jangling some chords and blabbing technical nonsense is his speed, let him! I'm sure he's happy.

Your post sounds awfully judgemental and snobby, calling someone a moron, idiot and imbecile just because they're not as good as you.

Peter Michael Hamel in his book ... FROM MUSIC TO THE SELF ... which is not a fun read for most of us, I do not think, since it is very academic and very much a book that puts down pop music and the aforementioned folks that do not know music.

There was a joke in it, though that I have always remembered.

There was an old man playing an instrument on top of the hill, and it had one string, and he kept plunking it ... and saying ... I GOT IT ... I GOT IT ... and everyone that came by would say ... WHAT's HE GOT?

The only part that bothers me about the comment is not Dave's real thought though ... I think he merely means at least folks that want to communicate musically, SHOULD/COULD have a reasonable knowledge of something or other ... in order to make this communication work ... however, even Dave forgets one of the most important things in music ... and you can find it in Robert Wyatt's book, when they were recording Syd Barrett ... and after an attempt to record some song, one of the guys turned to Robert and asked ... what key is he playing in? ... and Robert says ... he don't know the keys ... he just plays!

AND, if Robert is right, and I think he is considering his experience and expertise, I would imagine that Dave also needs to learn to listen to things, and not be so methodical about how he plays his OWN music ... and I think even other musicians, that are not as concerned with "keys" as they are with the flow of the material regardless ... and it's not like the 20th century was the one that took keys and threw them up in the air like Burroughs did with words ... it's not about "melody" necessarily is my thought altogether. I'm sure Dave will disagree with me on this.

Mosh, please refer back to the bit where I said that people who didn't know what they're talking about should kindly shut the f*ck up. 

You're right. I disagreed with you on it. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 07:21

Originally posted by mosh mosh wrote:

AND, if Robert is right, and I think he is considering his experience and expertise, I would imagine that Dave also needs to learn to listen to things, and not be so methodical about how he plays his OWN music ... and I think even other musicians, that are not as concerned with "keys" as they are with the flow of the material regardless ... and it's not like the 20th century was the one that took keys and threw them up in the air like Burroughs did with words ... it's not about "melody" necessarily is my thought altogether. I'm sure Dave will disagree with me on this.

Mosh, please refer back to the bit where I said that people who didn't know what they're talking about should kindly shut the f*ck up. 

You're right. I disagreed with you on it. 

You just hate it when an argument shows up that goes against your form. The bad side of your comment is that I only quoted some other folks ... it wasn't about me ... so your comment is really unfair and mostly an acknowledgement that your opinion is not complete, and not as well thought out as you thought you had it! AND ... above all, you are pretty much stating that Peter Michael Hamel, and Robert Wyatt, or even Syd Barrett, are idiots that do not know music. and would not have a valid comment on the subject. PMH does, and he is not nice about it, but you would never even consider reading that stuff ... too haughty and knowledgeable for your tastes!

AND ... btw, I didn't get personal about it. You did!

Edited by moshkito - March 09 2019 at 07:25
www.pedrosena.com
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 09:24
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 10:53
I have been playing and learning guitar ,for over 10 years ,genius is a rare thing ,but even with a advanced skill ,one cannot have talent without commitment and experience.I do not profess to have talent but my skills have improved ,by having lessons and daily practice ,so the non-musician without knowledge or any kind of musical theory, cannot, really appreciate, the professional musician contributions.

Edited by grantman - March 10 2019 at 10:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>