Poll Question: Whos the most legendary musician /your favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [50.00%]
20 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 13:14
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I haven't explored Manfred Mann's music much as I haven't heard anything that opened up new and exciting horizons for me (had I got to know his music more when young, as with APP, I might feel different).

For me he did, but this is rather my personal story. I heard Watch before I had heard any other prog consciously, and it made a huge impression on me, but of course had I started my prog journey with another band, it'd be different. Opening new horizons may indeed not be his major skill, however his take on cover versions is pretty unique in my view.
That said, I still find all the Earth Band material between Solar Fire and Watch very attractive and well done, also bits and bobs before and after. Nightingales and Bombers is an incredibly tight and sophisticated rock album with a wonderful down-to-earth sound, it still ranks among the very best for me.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 13:52
Manfred Mann.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 16:06
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Everybody's discussing Vangelis but my Mann is actually in the lead. Tongue

Is he? Wink
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 05:47
Regarding Vangelis, I consider his collaboration with Jon Anderson (Short Stories, Friends of Mr.Cairo) and Aphrodite's Child as excellent and exceptional. His instrumental music, with possible exception of L'Apocalypse, leaves me rather cold. Manfred Mann's albums starting with Solar Fire until Angel Station, or even Chance are excellent. Although Vangelis has his peak moments during those collaborations perhaps higher than MM, I'd choose MM because of higher amount of music appealing to me.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 08:48
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Everybody's discussing Vangelis but my Mann is actually in the lead. Tongue

Is he? Wink

Now again.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 23:43
Vangelis  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123