Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some TV series/ mini-series that I have loved

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Choose any favourites (multiple votes enabled)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [3.45%]
2 [6.90%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.90%]
3 [10.34%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [17.24%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.45%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.45%]
3 [10.34%]
1 [3.45%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [13.79%]
4 [13.79%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some TV series/ mini-series that I have loved
    Posted: March 01 2019 at 11:03
I had to limit this list more than I would have liked, and I generally avoided sitcom sort of ones (otherwise Yes Minister/ Yes Prime Minister and The League of Gentlemen would be here). I would have liked to include Death Note, Chocky (as with past polls of mine), Dead Set (love Brooker stuff), Life on Mars, Stranger Things, other Potter series such as Pennies from Heaven and Karaoke/Cold Lazarus, and various others. I didn't put much thought into this, but all of these have been special to me at some time or times in my life. I did add Misfits together with In the Flesh.

Hopefully there's something here for most every taste. Please vote for and mention one of the choices in the list if you are to mention an "other" otherwise please just make your own list. And if you only know one, please feel free to vote as it is not a contest. Those who do not speak English as a first language might be at a disadvantage with my choices.

Black Mirror
Blakes's 7
Das Boot (80s TV mini-series, there is a recent one I haven't seen).
Brideshead Revisited
The Bridge (Bron/Broen)
Dekalog
Doctor Who
Fargo
First Born (mini-series from 1988)
Game of Thrones
House of Cards Trilogy (BBC)
I, Claudius
Inside No. 9
In the Flesh
The Kingdom (Riget)
The Outer Limits
The Prisoner (McGoohan)
Psychoville
Real Humans (Äkta människor)
The Returned (Les Revenants)
The Singing Detective
Star Trek
The Twilight Zone
Utopia
Westworld

Any recommendations based on any of these would be wonderful (these days I tend to focus more on documentaries, especially ones on cults such as Wild, Wild Country. I have Netflix Canada, but find it hard to find series that interest me (I liked Peaky Blinders and The End of the F***ing World, Residue, Crazyhead...).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 11:20
Blake's 7
Doctor Who
I, Claudius (I used to scream the place down as a child due to the title sequence! )
And The Prisoner.

Some good choices in there and all I can recommend is Lexx! Although I'm probably the only one to do so.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 11:46
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Blake's 7
Doctor Who
I, Claudius (I used to scream the place down as a child due to the title sequence! )
And The Prisoner.

Some good choices in there and all I can recommend is Lexx! Although I'm probably the only one to do so.

I worship His Divine Shadow. I love LEXX (haven't see it in quite a few years). Before joining this forum, I was at a LEXX forum.

A Lexxy limerick of mine:

There once was a cannibal called Giggerota,
Whose carnal app'tites couldn't be any hottah.
She preferred to eat meat
Ever tender and sweet,
Cause with her long tongue she would lick it a lotta.

EDIT: Found some of my lame fanfic is still archived at a site (I was known as FunkET at lexx.com):

http://littlelexx.net/forum/showthread.php?729-Li-l-Lexx-Tales-From-The-Erogenous-Zone

Edited by Logan - March 01 2019 at 12:10
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 12:09
Interesting! But how great was the whole Fire & Water story from the third series?
And even then the series after had the best visual joke of "Let's not try to look suspicious" as they push a drained Kai across a huge green field in a shopping trolley with Xev in her costume and Stan's boiler uniform. I just love the pov shot of an officer in a car as they drove past and saw them try to slip away.
Little things like that made the show but tell it to anyone who wasn't there and they won't believe etc...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 12:28
I never got around to seeing all of the fourth series, but I do remember those (and saw everything that came earlier). I especially loved the first mini-series (season one). Weirdly enough since I haven't thought about Lexx in quite a while, it came up twice today (early this morning when talking to my wife).

I love the darkness, the the black comedy of it, and absurdity of Lexx, and it had such enjoyable characters.

For another good series with black comedy elements and a level of naughtiness, I would recommend Misfits if you haven't seen it.

Edited by Logan - March 01 2019 at 12:33
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 12:47
voted Thrones but was a big ST:TOS fan, also enjoyed Fargo very much, first season of Westworld too.

I just caught the first four episodes of ST:Discovery.   Good stuff, reminds me of what was tried with the Battlestar Galactica reboot.   May keep watching.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 13:00
I enjoyed the first season of Discovery a lot (have yet to see the second season).

I was very critical of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica when it came out, even thinking that Galactica 1980 was more enjoyable, but I grew to love the show as it progressed.

Another modern SF show that I enjoyed was the anthology series Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams ("Crazy Diamond" with Steve Buscemi being my favourite of the series, some other episodes I really enjoyed too). I love Philip K. Dick, and I was disappointed in the series overall (I prefer other modern anthology series such as Black Mirror and Inside No. 9, as well as classics such as The Twilight Zone and Outer Limits).

Edited by Logan - March 01 2019 at 13:01
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 13:12
dont' know many of these, but the ones I do, I basically like. (Jury is still out for me on Black Mirror...have only seen 5 or so episodes and at the moment I think I like the idea more than the execution...one day ill watch the rest)

Westworld is my favorite of the above, over Doctor Who and Game Of Thrones 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 13:15
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I enjoyed the first season of Discovery a lot (have yet to see the second season).

I was very critical of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica when it came out, even thinking that Galactica 1980 was more enjoyable, but I grew to love the show as it progressed.

Another modern SF show that I enjoyed was the anthology series Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams ("Crazy Diamond" with Steve Buscemi being my favourite of the series, some other episodes I really enjoyed too). I love Philip K. Dick, and I was disappointed in the series overall (I prefer other modern anthology series such as Black Mirror and Inside No. 9, as well as classics such as The Twilight Zone and Outer Limits).

Yes it was a 'reimagining' more than reboot.   I was impressed they took what had become a pretty grim & clueless show by the third season (the original), and gave it some balls.  I also appreciated the photography and production, it was one of the first series to use that extreme zoom-in/out "damn the focus,full speed ahead!" way of filming an action sequence.

As for the old Zone, Serling was one of a kind, a war veteran who'd seen a lot of nasty combat and had much to say about the human condition.   We won't see his like again.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 13:21
Trek — on a TOS kick right now.

TZ and OL, of course. Love 'em.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 13:44
Didn't really enjoy The Bridge, disliked most of the main characters of House of Cards and saw only half of the first season of Game of Thrones (should come back to that one someday)...

other

Edited by Barbu - March 01 2019 at 13:48
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 14:02
I have yet to see Vikings.

^ Was it the British or American House of Cards that you saw? I haven't seen the American one, but I thought that the British one was brilliant (preferred it to the novels, though I read the novels after watching the series). I love how Shakespearean it is, and despite Francis Urquhart being despicable, I enjoyed his character so much, but chacun son goût.

There are quite a few French series that I do like, and it's kind of sad that I only added Les Revenants (I loved it).

Edited by Logan - March 01 2019 at 14:11
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 14:23
^ The American one, most people I know liked it but afaic I've waisted my time with this one.

The first four Vikings seasons are excellent, dude. Haven't yet seen the last two.

Some series from Québec you might like: Omerta (of course), Fortier, 19-2, Minuit le Soir, Les Invincibles..

Edited by Barbu - March 01 2019 at 14:56
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 14:48
Vikings was good--  not great but good.

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 15:46
^ Katheryn Winnick presence definitely raise it to excellent.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 15:47
I caught some of one called The Last Kingdom before, that I was quite enjoying, which I suppose would be similar to Vikings.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 16:09
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^ Katheryn Winnick presence definitely raise it to excellent.

She is good, except for the whole penis-severing thing.

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 13:40
Well, with Star Trek on the list, none of the others need apply (although Twilight Zone deserves an honorable mention).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 13:55
^ the Zone really was an amazing one of a kind series, I still see episodes I never have and they're almost always good.   I also notice the photography, lighting and general production to be excellent as compared to Outer Limits or Hitchcock Presents.   It's held up beautifully.

voted TZ and Game of Thrones

Edited by Atavachron - November 26 2019 at 13:57
 Post Reply Post Reply