Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDeep Purple is here to stay!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 11:30

Ha, I got it wrong anyway!

Essential: a masterpiece of progressive music (76%)
Excellent addition to any prog music collection (15%)
Good, but non-essential (4%)
Collectors/fans only (2%)
Poor. Only for completionists (2%)

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 11:33
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^ If you interpret it this way:

5 stars means "Essential to any prog collection which includes the genre of the album "

Then it would be possible.

Is this true? Is the new guideline? If so ok!

no, but without this amendment it wouldn't make much sense to me. How could any Prog Metal album be rated 5 stars if it has to be "Essential to any prog collection which doesn't includes prog metal "?

Well this would be obvious, that if you were reading a prog metal review, that if you don't like Prog Metal its not essential to you!

Haragei View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 11:37
I put Purple in the same vein as Led Zeppelin.  Damn good rock and roll!  Made in Japan is one of the best albums ever. 
thrang theng View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 11:48

What do you think:  there should be two parallel classifications for each review. One related to the place a single album is in somebody hearth/personal collection, subjective point of view. The second which place it should occupy in a PROG classification, objective point of view. IT is like distinguish between favorite and best.

Take my fire
Take my food and water
Forget about those promises
Of social good and social order...
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 11:52
Originally posted by thrang theng thrang theng wrote:

What do you think:  there should be two parallel classifications for each review. One related to the place a single album is in somebody hearth/personal collection, subjective point of view. The second which place it should occupy in a PROG classification, objective point of view. IT is like distinguish between favorite and best.

You can make the case for how excellent you feel the album is in your review, and rate its "proginess" in the star rating! Simple enough! For example I gave Sheer Heart Attack a glowing review, but gave it only 3 stars!

QUEEN* Sheer Heart Attack*
Review (Permanent link) by Ian Cownie @ 3:24:33 PM EST, 7/29/2005

3 stars  —  Queens brilliant third album is one of my very favourites. Brighton Rock, what an album opener. A truly stupendous, exhilirating ride and a hard rocking song that sounds like nothing else i can think of. Theres a nice mixture of differnt styles from the iconic Killer Queen to the plodding,hypnotic She Makes Me. There are just so many great songs on here Flick Of The Wrist, Now I'm Here ( a single release along with Killer Queen) and In The Lap Of The Gods! Its more consise than Queen II and paves the way nicely for A Night At The Opera. Wonderful stuff!

Edited by Snow Dog
krauthead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 12:07

Originally posted by maidenrulez maidenrulez wrote:

I dont mind deep purple as much as i do mind Queen infact

Same here!

*Dancing madly backwards on a sea of air* - Captain Beyond
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 12:22

You can make the case for how excellent you feel the album is in your review, and rate its "proginess" in the star rating! Simple enough! For example I gave Sheer Heart Attack a glowing review, but gave it only 3 stars!

QUEEN* Sheer Heart Attack*
Review (Permanent link) by Ian Cownie @ 3:24:33 PM EST, 7/29/2005

3 stars  —  Queens brilliant third album is one of my very favourites. Brighton Rock, what an album opener. A truly stupendous, exhilirating ride and a hard rocking song that sounds like nothing else i can think of. Theres a nice mixture of differnt styles from the iconic Killer Queen to the plodding,hypnotic She Makes Me. There are just so many great songs on here Flick Of The Wrist, Now I'm Here ( a single release along with Killer Queen) and In The Lap Of The Gods! Its more consise than Queen II and paves the way nicely for A Night At The Opera. Wonderful stuff!

Of course ... I did the same with Steve Vai - The Ultra Zone. I simply took one star off the rating.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 12:24
Originally posted by krauthead krauthead wrote:

Same here!

Listen to this:

http://www.progarchives.com/mp3/Queen%20-%20Queen%20Ii%2009. %20The%20March%20Of%20The%20Black%20Queen.MP3

and then tell me which Deep Purple song is more progressive (I realy want to know).

thrang theng View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 13:46

Very good explanation and clear example. Maybe this advice should be added to the rating system along the reviews guidelines, to give the reviewer, specially if he is newby like me, the feeling of the philosophy behind it. It might be before the explanation of the rating system to underline the final statement "not every album that you enjoy will be a perfect "masterpiece." (Progarchive reviews guidelines).

Take my fire
Take my food and water
Forget about those promises
Of social good and social order...
Philrod View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 16:47
Deep Purple have some prog moments, such as April, on their third album.
krauthead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 17:09

Same here!

Listen to this:

http://www.progarchives.com/mp3/Queen%20-%20Queen%20Ii%2009. %20The%20March%20Of%20The%20Black%20Queen.MP3

and then tell me which Deep Purple song is more progressive (I realy want to know).

Well, I can say I own Queen's first album and I ain't proud of it, 2-3 songs are so so rest pure crap.

I own all Deep Purple official albums from their beginning to late 70's, really hard to tell mate because to me Queen don't have any progressive songs, some smells of it here and there though, Deep Purple maybe not so progressive either their live performances are often progressive IMO.

Deep Purple have done lots for the rock genre and what have Queen done as big as that (I really want to know).

*Dancing madly backwards on a sea of air* - Captain Beyond
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 17:50

Very good explanation and clear example. Maybe this advice should be added to the rating system along the reviews guidelines, to give the reviewer, specially if he is newby like me, the feeling of the philosophy behind it. It might be before the explanation of the rating system to underline the final statement "not every album that you enjoy will be a perfect "masterpiece." (Progarchive reviews guidelines).

This is not really an explanation but my personal view and my interpretation of the sites guidelines. I'm sure there are those who would disagree!

Dream Theater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 17:55
I don't care about Deep Purple 
[IMG]http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/Images/Travel_Article_Library/Sacred-Travel/Machu-Picchu-350.jpg"> [IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/panchopc1/machupicchu-1.jpg">
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 08:55

Same here!

Listen to this:

Well, I can say I own Queen's first album and I ain't proud of it, 2-3 songs are so so rest pure crap.

I own all Deep Purple official albums from their beginning to late 70's, really hard to tell mate because to me Queen don't have any progressive songs, some smells of it here and there though, Deep Purple maybe not so progressive either their live performances are often progressive IMO.

Deep Purple have done lots for the rock genre and what have Queen done as big as that (I really want to know).

Seems we're going to be buddies with you, krauthead!

Deep Purple are progressive also in the studio: Lazy, Pictures of Home, Fools (listen to that ~9 minute song carefully!!!) The Mule (especially studio version) Space Truckin (both studio and live versions!!!)

even some examples from their not-so-prog-at-all period: Burn (title track), Might Just Take Your Life, Stormbringer (title track), This Time Around/Owed to G, You Keep On Moving...

not to mention their first three, which somehow gave direction to the genre!

I hope there are enough examples above to meet the demand required by March of the Black Queen.... (I like that album too. This and Night at the Opera are the 2 real prog albums of Queen, along with proggy debut, IMHO)

Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 21:29
   Deep Purple definitely deserves its place here on this site. Well, it was actually a surprise to me to see them here but I realised the importance of this band as a proto-prog band DUE TO Jon Lord's experiments on early Purple albums (the Rod Evans era). The awesome musicianship of these artists throughout time , in all line-ups is another reason why this band deserves to be HERE, on a prog music site.

Edited by Cristi - August 07 2006 at 12:13
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 03:17

That's easy;

Right from the start they used intricate vocal harmonies - a bit like Uriah Heep's, but more so. These were way beyond other bands of the time - and way beyond anything any band is doing now. In fact, if a band does anything that sounds remotely intricate in the vocal harmonies department, then they get compared to Queen.

Brian May's legendary guitar playing runs the gamut - there are few styles he doesn't touch upon, unlike Ritchie Blackmore (as a random example), who had blues influences and "Classical" influences (a few cycles of fifths, major and minor scales and that's about it).

Queen used tape loops to create massive walls of sound that very few bands have managed to imitate - and it's not easy to write melodies that work with each other. I've composed rounds in the past, and they're downright fiendish. This is a hugely innovative (read Progressive) aspect of Queen.

Freddie's piano playing may not have been Rakhmaninov - but neither were Kieth Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Tony Banks et al. He created some excellent moods with what he did on the piano - think of "Death on Two Legs" as a single example.

Freddie's vocals. 'nuff said.

Now onto the music itself: Where to start? All the songs are so completely different, immersed in styles from various eras - and not simply limited to Rock music either. How can it not be Prog?

But the biggest clincher of all is the use of skillfully composed pieces of music that have a spontaneous feel - not a jam session, but music that evolves and develops as you listen. This is the absolute core of the definition of Prog Rock.

And you can hear this on their very first albums.

If you have ears, that is

Edited by Certif1ed - August 07 2006 at 03:18
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
S Lang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 07:55
Certif1ed, I take some exception of what you said about jam sessions, a form I love and enjoy as much as carefully crafted pieces.

I do have recognition for Queen, although it's not a band that I listen to often and I say it in a sense of preferences. I still don't understand how one of my favourite singers Paul Rodgers ended up there?

Wasn't this poll about Deep Purple though ?   Wink

I see Purple as Heavy Prog and they'll always have a place in my collection.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 08:56
A question was asked, so I answered it - the correspondent really wanted to know!

Just to clarify I have no problem with jam sessions - I didn't say that there was anything wrong with them, I was merely making the comparison - they're just not an intrinsic part of Prog Rock, although they are an essential part of its creation.

Edited by Certif1ed - September 20 2006 at 08:58
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 11:26
Originally posted by Dream Theater Dream Theater wrote:

I don't care about Deep Purple 

ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused have you ever listened to Deep Purple? If your answer is yes, then give a logical explanation for not liking them. That is if you can...
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 12:17
'I don't care about Deep Purple'....ah, profound. Personally, I voted for their inclusion and was a huge advocate of it. I think people should listen to their first 4 albums and they should be able to see how Deep Purple were an early progressive act, not to mention the prog over most of their other albums to this day ('Rapture Of The Deep' was the most progressive for years). Also, it didn't make sense that most of the band's followers of the era were here and they weren't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>