Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Close To The Edge (Yes): Form and Substance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Close To The Edge (Yes): Form and Substance
    Posted: March 15 2019 at 15:14
Close To The Edge: Album number one, here in PA.
It includes three songs: Close To The Edge (side A), And You And I, and Siberian Khatru (side B).

Close To The Edge, the song: Everybody here knows this suite very well... 
But is it a real suite? How is his structure?
After having heard this suite for many years, here's to you my evaluation.

Close To The Edge (18:42) begins with country noises and a carpet of keyboards that gradually increases the volume, then comes an instrumental intro guided by Howe's guitar, which works on two lines: one does the solo, the other an underlying phrasing at great speed, which in fact marks a faster pace than that of Bruford's drums, which he prefers, with his creative jazzy style, not to beat too much on the snare drum, but works the rhythm at the hips. Meanwhile, Squire throws slashes with his mixed bass very high. The impression is therefore of listening to a polyrhythmic piece, without true melody, very well chiselled, refined, sophisticated, produced by the virtuosity of the musicians, which lasts about two and a half minutes, when Anderson's singing arrives to signal that it is time to start with the serious part, the storytelling.

It is always Howe's guitar that leads, this time painting the melody, flanked by Squire's bass. The melody continues for a minute (up to about 3:50), then the rhythm stops and, punctuated by Bruford's drums, begins the hyperspeed rhythm that characterizes the strophes of this long song. This time the keyboards of Wakeman arrive to support Howe's guitar, and together with Bruford's drums they beat the rhythm, while Squire produces some turns of bass to make it more lively. Anderson's singing begins, with its glacial timbre, and the very high, contralto tone, which somehow transcends the rock music in the background, turns off the heat like covering it with a white, pure, celestial liquid, and this it is the contradiction of Yes, well-marked by the critic Scaruffi: the romantic, warm, sentimental rock base is accompanied by the vocals of Anderson, cold, celestial, like icy water that extinguishes the fire. Therefore, a discrepancy is created, a conjunction of opposites, which produces a conflicting result, because Anderson's voice would be more suitable for slower, fluid, rarefied atmospheres of air or water, such as some kraut rock music (Hosianna Mantra) or some Canterbury (Wyatt) or the more recent post-rock. Instead this voice is associated with a melodic rock music, with a good rhythm, which tends to act more on a corporal than an astral level. All this produces conflict but also fascination, leaving in the music of Yes something that clashes, conflicts, but that makes it at the same time more fascinating, more stratified, less univocal, less simple, because it moves simultaneously in two opposite directions. It is clear that Anderson's voice really characterizes the music of Yes and not everyone likes it. The fact that it goes on another level with respect to the music, combined with its super-high tone, almost falsetto, it could irritate or tire many listeners. Personally it took me several years to get used to Anderson's vocals, since I come from the classic (heartland) rock. I know that many lovers of classic rock do not tolerate Yes more for the voice of Anderson than for their song, convoluted and full of virtuosic instrumental pieces.

But ... Let's go back to the song! The singing arrives: strophe, second strophe and immediately the chorus that then fades into a short solo by Howe that connects it to the bridge, at a more relaxed pace, then again comes the refrain, which in the final salt of tone touch a solemn epic climax ("I Get Up, I Get Down").

This structure, in fact an easy-listening melodic beat song, represents the backbone of everything in Close To The Edge.

A piece of connection follows where Squire's bass is in evidence, then the keyboards report to the main melody: strophe, second strophe, chorus. All played with a different rhythm by Bruford and with greater use of the bass. In the refrain, more Wakeman's keyboards begins to be heard. Then bridge (where Howe's guitar feels good and there is an intermittent super high-pitched sound, I don't know if it's still produced by Howe or by Wakeman), then new chorus, which ends when we're at 8 minutes.

Following is a piece centered on low tones that introduce us to the instrumental break dominated by Wakeman. The music slows down, the rhythm section disappears, the song is deconstructed, leaving only abstract landscapes dominated by keyboards. It seems to be in a cold cave and in fact you can hear the sound of drops falling. Wakeman combines the sound of the synthesizer and comes the singing of Anderson, in a doubled voice, at ease in this ethereal atmosphere. He starts again from the bridge, sung with slow rhythm, alternating with choirs of the chorus. This time Anderson's singing is intimate, confidential, and alternate to the choirs: my opinion is in this context that gives the best of himself, when his singing is confidential, and does not stand on the high notes ... or alternatively, when it grows on the high notes, if it is flanked by a melodic musical crescendo, and it's just happening now: the vocals "I Get Up, I Get Down, I Get Up" push the music to its peak, a marvelous epic, majestic, solemn climax after the long bridge / chorus; the voice rises in tone, and then the Wakeman church organ follow the vocals, and it sounds perfect for this musical juncture. We are a little longer than 12 minutes, and finally the song touches one of the highest peak of quality in the entire Yes's discography. Still Anderson, singing: "I Get Up, I Get Down", he leads the organ to lower notes, and after just over 14 minutes, the rhythm of the melody returns, with Bruford distinguishing it again from jazz preciousness.

The keyboards come back, and finally the singing starts again, on the hyperspeed rhythm with which it started the song: strophe, second strophe, bridge this time before the chorus, and finally again: "I Get Up, I Get Down", which closes in fading returning to the initial country noises.

Close To The Edge, in my opinion, is not a real suite. It is a song strophe-chorus dilated to no end, which repeats the chorus (refrain) 6 times in total. Yes have created a new song format, they take a commercial easy-listening song with a strophe-refrain-bridge-refrain structure and then they dilate it, speed it up, slow it down, accompany it with changes of rhythm and arrangement, support it with instrumental digressions and get to almost 20 minutes: and here’s to you a beat song disguised as a classical suite. The (high-class) operation unites a simple substance: an easily accessible music, to a complex form: its clothing with a high quotient of virtuosity, refined arrangement, polyrhythmic instrumental pieces. 

And now, if you want, free discussion.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - March 15 2019 at 15:47
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 17:31
As a massive yes fan, Chris Squire fan, and CTTE fan boi...

...I agree completely with your assertion. CTTE is not a a suite. I can't say I really personally care, however. Total Mass Retain, for the time, has such a solid and free grooving bass line. That section of song is extremely underrated in combination with Anderson's vocal/lyrical delivery. Yes definitely created a new song format as you said.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 18:48
Very good analysis of the music. I used to worship this album back in the day (late-80’s....) but not as much now. I think the first few minutes of the title track sounds like a train-wreck. I dunno what happened to me
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 19:47
Where Close to the Edge' becomes unique is that it does not exploit any of the structural tricks and compositional conceits used by its contemporaries. Where Emerson would assimilate classical sources and themes into his own creations and Genesis would segue shorter song and instrumental fragments into a pseudo suite, 'Yes' dispense with either approach entirely. Close to the Edge's title track is a pop song, yes, one mother of a long one to be sure, but still a pop song for all that. Don't let the 'P' word cause your heckles to rise here, as I mean 'popular music song' and not in any pejorative sense.

Furthermore:

There are no traces of classical symphonic writing to be found.(Which often explains their 'symphonic prog' label stubbornly refusing to adhere to the bottle) Jazz and blues vocabulary are absent. Riff based composition is nowhere to be seen.

These are observations, not criticisms as there is much to admire and cherish on this very fine album but I do think it is long overdue some sort of critical revision as for way too long CTTE has become akin to prog's (white) elephant in the room.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 20:28
Close to the Edge a pop song? Hah. I guess all the songs on dark side of the moon and wish you were here are pop songs too. :D Not to mention all PG era Genesis songs. If CTTE is a pop song then it doesn't sound like any pop song I've ever heard not to mention the fact it's maybe just a little bit too long to be a standard pop song.LOL

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 15 2019 at 20:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 02:14
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Where Close to the Edge' becomes unique is that it does not exploit any of the structural tricks and compositional conceits used by its contemporaries. Where Emerson would assimilate classical sources and themes into his own creations and Genesis would segue shorter song and instrumental fragments into a pseudo suite, 'Yes' dispense with either approach entirely. Close to the Edge's title track is a pop song, yes, one mother of a long one to be sure, but still a pop song for all that. Don't let the 'P' word cause your heckles to rise here, as I mean 'popular music song' and not in any pejorative sense.

Furthermore:

There are no traces of classical symphonic writing to be found.(Which often explains their 'symphonic prog' label stubbornly refusing to adhere to the bottle) Jazz and blues vocabulary are absent. Riff based composition is nowhere to be seen.

These are observations, not criticisms as there is much to admire and cherish on this very fine album but I do think it is long overdue some sort of critical revision as for way too long CTTE has become akin to prog's (white) elephant in the room.

Exactly. It's a pop song, but it's not really "pop" per say. One of the best, most amazing things about Yes, is, they really did have their own style, sound, and approach to composition. CTTE, even with a critical observation, continues to reveal more and more epic-ness to me over time (very few albums do this).

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 04:28
^The substance is a (good) pop song. The form is a superb vortuosistic and extremely well arranged suite, 
with moments of great pathos and moments of sophisticated polyrhythmic rhythm.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - March 16 2019 at 04:30
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 05:28
^Agreed. Many on PA just seem to suffer from an irrational fear of those musical elements their Prog heroes happily acknowledge as being taken/inspired from pop music: Popphobia?

(Catchiness is only bad if it's a disease...)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 09:48
I really don't get how it's a pop song. I haven't studied music composition or music theory so maybe you guys know and understand something I don't but I don't hear verse chorus verse in the song structure and I don't hear anything that would make it pop. Plus, how many other 20 minute pop songs can you think of? If it really is a pop song then does that mean "dogs," "echoes," other long PF songs and "supper's ready" are pop songs? What about thick as a brick? 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 10:46
Interesting... is there a 3:30 version of the essential pop song bits around? I think I half agree with the analysis... or maybe 75%. Chances are that condensed to 3:30 it wouldn't work that well, the basic melody is nice once in a while but would probably get on my nerves if it and the chorus would make the whole song. But then, I'm not sure, would really like to hear this to find out. What I do think they got right here is that the different parts, as different as they are, make a pretty coherent whole and there are themes and motifs that connect it all. Yes, this is based on a melody and chorus that are quite accessible and straight, but elements to shake things up are woven in at any time. They never really leave the "straight song", yet they subvert it from beginning to end. 

That said I have to admit I hardly ever listen to the studio album, because compared to the versions on Yessongs all songs sound quite lame and constructed to me.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 12:11
Fantastic album....perhaps  my favorite by them though the Yes album and Fragile are damn near as good imho......but I'm not sure I would place it as number one of all time on the prog rock list here at PA though obviously the votes are there. Regarding what should be no. 1....imho that should probably rotate from month to month since there are so many excellent bands and albums. I would have a hard time deciding what album I would place at no 1 on any given day.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 15:20
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Interesting... is there a 3:30 version of the essential pop song bits around? I think I half agree with the analysis... or maybe 75%. Chances are that condensed to 3:30 it wouldn't work that well, the basic melody is nice once in a while but would probably get on my nerves if it and the chorus would make the whole song. But then, I'm not sure, would really like to hear this to find out. What I do think they got right here is that the different parts, as different as they are, make a pretty coherent whole and there are themes and motifs that connect it all. Yes, this is based on a melody and chorus that are quite accessible and straight, but elements to shake things up are woven in at any time. They never really leave the "straight song", yet they subvert it from beginning to end. 

That said I have to admit I hardly ever listen to the studio album, because compared to the versions on Yessongs all songs sound quite lame and constructed to me.
Damn straight !! Yessongs is beyond incredible. What a whopping Live document. And the mind-blowing Roger Dean artworks to boot.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 17:04
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Close To The Edge: Album number one, here in PA.
It includes three songs: Close To The Edge (side A), And You And I, and Siberian Khatru (side B).

Close To The Edge, the song: Everybody here knows this suite very well... 
But is it a real suite? How is his structure?
After having heard this suite for many years, here's to you my evaluation.

Close To The Edge (18:42) begins with country noises and a carpet of keyboards that gradually increases the volume, then comes an instrumental intro guided by Howe's guitar, which works on two lines: one does the solo, the other an underlying phrasing at great speed, which in fact marks a faster pace than that of Bruford's drums, which he prefers, with his creative jazzy style, not to beat too much on the snare drum, but works the rhythm at the hips. Meanwhile, Squire throws slashes with his mixed bass very high. The impression is therefore of listening to a polyrhythmic piece, without true melody, very well chiselled, refined, sophisticated, produced by the virtuosity of the musicians, which lasts about two and a half minutes, when Anderson's singing arrives to signal that it is time to start with the serious part, the storytelling.

It is always Howe's guitar that leads, this time painting the melody, flanked by Squire's bass. The melody continues for a minute (up to about 3:50), then the rhythm stops and, punctuated by Bruford's drums, begins the hyperspeed rhythm that characterizes the strophes of this long song. This time the keyboards of Wakeman arrive to support Howe's guitar, and together with Bruford's drums they beat the rhythm, while Squire produces some turns of bass to make it more lively. Anderson's singing begins, with its glacial timbre, and the very high, contralto tone, which somehow transcends the rock music in the background, turns off the heat like covering it with a white, pure, celestial liquid, and this it is the contradiction of Yes, well-marked by the critic Scaruffi: the romantic, warm, sentimental rock base is accompanied by the vocals of Anderson, cold, celestial, like icy water that extinguishes the fire. Therefore, a discrepancy is created, a conjunction of opposites, which produces a conflicting result, because Anderson's voice would be more suitable for slower, fluid, rarefied atmospheres of air or water, such as some kraut rock music (Hosianna Mantra) or some Canterbury (Wyatt) or the more recent post-rock. Instead this voice is associated with a melodic rock music, with a good rhythm, which tends to act more on a corporal than an astral level. All this produces conflict but also fascination, leaving in the music of Yes something that clashes, conflicts, but that makes it at the same time more fascinating, more stratified, less univocal, less simple, because it moves simultaneously in two opposite directions. It is clear that Anderson's voice really characterizes the music of Yes and not everyone likes it. The fact that it goes on another level with respect to the music, combined with its super-high tone, almost falsetto, it could irritate or tire many listeners. Personally it took me several years to get used to Anderson's vocals, since I come from the classic (heartland) rock. I know that many lovers of classic rock do not tolerate Yes more for the voice of Anderson than for their song, convoluted and full of virtuosic instrumental pieces.

But ... Let's go back to the song! The singing arrives: strophe, second strophe and immediately the chorus that then fades into a short solo by Howe that connects it to the bridge, at a more relaxed pace, then again comes the refrain, which in the final salt of tone touch a solemn epic climax ("I Get Up, I Get Down").

This structure, in fact an easy-listening melodic beat song, represents the backbone of everything in Close To The Edge.

A piece of connection follows where Squire's bass is in evidence, then the keyboards report to the main melody: strophe, second strophe, chorus. All played with a different rhythm by Bruford and with greater use of the bass. In the refrain, more Wakeman's keyboards begins to be heard. Then bridge (where Howe's guitar feels good and there is an intermittent super high-pitched sound, I don't know if it's still produced by Howe or by Wakeman), then new chorus, which ends when we're at 8 minutes.

Following is a piece centered on low tones that introduce us to the instrumental break dominated by Wakeman. The music slows down, the rhythm section disappears, the song is deconstructed, leaving only abstract landscapes dominated by keyboards. It seems to be in a cold cave and in fact you can hear the sound of drops falling. Wakeman combines the sound of the synthesizer and comes the singing of Anderson, in a doubled voice, at ease in this ethereal atmosphere. He starts again from the bridge, sung with slow rhythm, alternating with choirs of the chorus. This time Anderson's singing is intimate, confidential, and alternate to the choirs: my opinion is in this context that gives the best of himself, when his singing is confidential, and does not stand on the high notes ... or alternatively, when it grows on the high notes, if it is flanked by a melodic musical crescendo, and it's just happening now: the vocals "I Get Up, I Get Down, I Get Up" push the music to its peak, a marvelous epic, majestic, solemn climax after the long bridge / chorus; the voice rises in tone, and then the Wakeman church organ follow the vocals, and it sounds perfect for this musical juncture. We are a little longer than 12 minutes, and finally the song touches one of the highest peak of quality in the entire Yes's discography. Still Anderson, singing: "I Get Up, I Get Down", he leads the organ to lower notes, and after just over 14 minutes, the rhythm of the melody returns, with Bruford distinguishing it again from jazz preciousness.

The keyboards come back, and finally the singing starts again, on the hyperspeed rhythm with which it started the song: strophe, second strophe, bridge this time before the chorus, and finally again: "I Get Up, I Get Down", which closes in fading returning to the initial country noises.

Close To The Edge, in my opinion, is not a real suite. It is a song strophe-chorus dilated to no end, which repeats the chorus (refrain) 6 times in total. Yes have created a new song format, they take a commercial easy-listening song with a strophe-refrain-bridge-refrain structure and then they dilate it, speed it up, slow it down, accompany it with changes of rhythm and arrangement, support it with instrumental digressions and get to almost 20 minutes: and here’s to you a beat song disguised as a classical suite. The (high-class) operation unites a simple substance: an easily accessible music, to a complex form: its clothing with a high quotient of virtuosity, refined arrangement, polyrhythmic instrumental pieces. 

And now, if you want, free discussion.

nice..  Clap  It iis like I have said many times over the years. Yes were fans of pop music, not jazz, not classial music. Their stated goal was to merge pop music with instrumental validity.  The structure of CttE is of a standard pop song  intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/middle8/instrumental-break/verse/chorus/outro format.

The difference was of course that on CttE they took the hooks and melodies one finds on standard pop songs and expanded upon them. That was the genius of it.  And as one reviewing wag was famously said, if it hadn't been perfected to olympian standards.. you would have the sonic equivalent of Celine Dion's My heart will go on...the Love Theme from the Titanic pumped into your brain.. or at least till you lost your marbles and blew your f**king brains out to escape the torture.  It wasn't like standard prog 'epic's.. don't like a section.. just wait.. it will change due to cut and paste.. song fragment structures of nearly every single prog epic ever done. It was a purely single composition.. the first and only 18 minute pop song.

well done sir... here.. have another  clappie.. Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 17:20
^ ......and Asia crafted Pop songs without expanding on themes.......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 17:21
There's lot's of songs that have that verse chorus structure. It doesn't make them pop songs. Country, vocal jazz, indie rock, alternative rock, metal, etc. Lot's of different genres(most in fact)have verse chorus song structures and yet they are not pop. But if having those structures makes it pop then pretty much anything except the most out there or deliberate prog stuff could be called pop. "Run to the hills" by Iron Maiden has a verse chorus structure(not to mention lot's of neo prog). Is that pop too?

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 16 2019 at 17:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 01:41
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Steve Howe was also in Asia, so are we surprised?!

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 02:48
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Steve Howe was also in Asia, so are we surprised?!
Word.......
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeepingElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 06:40
I think the punctus saliens here is that "Close to the Edge" is more or less a sonata form - but the difference between the sonata form and the pop song is mainly one of size. The sonata form goes like this:

Intro - main theme - second theme - main theme - second theme - development - main theme - second theme - coda

A pop song goes like this:

Intro - verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge/solo - verse - chorus - outro

As you can see, the same structure, only that in the sonata form, the verse is called "main theme", the chorus is called "second theme", the bridge/solo is called "development", and the outro is calld "coda". And, of course, a sonata form is much longer than a pop song. Everything is just bigger. That's all!

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 07:26
^ I think what we might recognise as traditional song structures existed in antiquity as folk music long before the development of classical sonata form in all its myriad variations. Conflating the two seems as much of a stretch as putting soda in a wine bottle and calling it Chateau de Fizz Wink. It's what the identifiable sections contain and how that thematic material is developed as to where the difference perhaps lies: Contrasting keys are an identifying feature of sonata form e.g. between the exposition/recapitulation sections and such modulations are the exception in pop music. The development section in sonata form is very often treated as tonally unstable or at least ambivalent which is very rarely the case in pop songs. Verse-chorus form is also more sectional i.e while an exposition usually has a transition between 1st and 2nd themes bringing us to the new key, in Pop songs, verses tend to move straight into choruses and if there’s any pre-chorus in between, its role is typically to build up dynamic energy rather than to modulate to another key centre. However, these are all very broad brush strokes and I don't necessarily disagree with the gist of your post but let's guard against thinking pop song structures 'grew out of' any historical classical forms.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeepingElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 08:46
You are right, there is more than size what distinguishes the sonata form from the structure of a typical pop song (which, as you observe, dates back to folk songs and is much older than the sonata form - so if one grew out of the other, it is the sonata form growing out of the song form and not the other way). There is a lot of stuff going on in a sonata-form piece that usually isn't found in a pop song, such as the second theme being in the dominant key to the main theme's key, complex modulations in the development, and other stuff you don't find in a typical pop or folk song.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>