Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

saddest beautiful songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 22:29
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Kansas - Dust In The Wind
Genesis - Blood On The Rooftops
ELP -Lucky Man
Kate Bush - The Man With The Child In His Eyes
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Oh yes, Dust in the wind, but I guess more than a sad song, it is rather utterly depressing.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 23:22
PETER HAMMILL - Four Pails
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 23:35
Art Bears - On Suicide .

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 01:30
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

ELP -Lucky Man

Oh yes, Dust in the wind, but I guess more than a sad song, it is rather utterly depressing.

if you think of it more in spiritual terms then it's not so bad , to me anyway
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 05:42
Procol Harem - So Much Between Us
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 08:17

When it comes to sad or poignant tunes, two that come to mind are:

Epitaph (King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King)

Hey You + Is There Anybody Out There! (Pink Floyd - The Wall)

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 09:13
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 14:00
Here's my entire "Beautiful Sadness" playlist:

The Raven That Refused to Sing and Drive - Steven Wilson
Deathless - Haken
House With No Door - VDGG
Epitaph/... - King Crimson
Routine - Steven Wilson
Red Dust Shadow - IQ
Painters - Jewel
Black Flame - Renaissance
Losing It and Tears  - Rush
Blood On The Rooftops - Genesis
I Turned You Down - Riverside
The Permanent Way - Big Big Train
Leave Me With Tears - Dragon
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats - Genesis
Bells for Her - Tori Amos
Tears in The Rain - Arena
Rhayader Alone/Fritha Alone/Epitaph - Camel
C'est La Vie - ELP
Crystal Shades of Loneliness - Turid
Still I'm Sad - Yardbirds
Island of Souls - Sting
Second Life Syndrome - Riverside
Rain - Uriah Heep
Isolation Years - Opeth
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence 2: About to Crash - Dream Theater
Alone - Blues Traveler

Edited by zwordser - March 30 2019 at 14:31
Z
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 22:24

ELP -Lucky Man

I don't know which spiritual set of mind could help. In the end, it just says we are nothing, anything we do will in the end be nothing. How can we put that in a spiritual redeeming perspective?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 22:25
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

When it comes to sad or poignant tunes, two that come to mind are:

Epitaph (King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King)

Hey You + Is There Anybody Out There! (Pink Floyd - The Wall)

Epitaph is indeed one of my favourite vocal performances ever, and indeed it's full of such desperation I can hardly think of anyone perfoming it and doing justice to it... Jakko certainly has failed in his own attempts.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2019 at 19:06
Not prog, but Brian Johnson's band previous to ACDC, Geordie, had a beautifull, sad song named "Oh Lord". They also had a song named "Natural Born Loser" which is more of a rocker, but the lyrics are quite sad and depressing.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2019 at 19:54
Helmut Koellen's song "The Story Of Life" is sad and beautiful in the same breath, about someone who "lives the high life", and doesn't understand even why he does. Helmut's vocals are really dear on this one.

Edited by presdoug - March 31 2019 at 19:55
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2019 at 20:31
prog related, Tom Rapp's Snow Queen.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f06N9gZRkY

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2019 at 22:24
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Not prog, but Brian Johnson's band previous to ACDC, Geordie, had a beautifull, sad song named "Oh Lord". They also had a song named "Natural Born Loser" which is more of a rocker, but the lyrics are quite sad and depressing.

If we are mentioning non prog beautiful sad songs... well, there's a song from The Rolling Stones that seems to be mostly ignored but that I do love and that just came to my mind. Memory Motel, one of my favourites from what little I know from the band, rather long for the band's standards (at just over 7 min), and very melancholic sounding (sorry if this has just about nothing to do with the songs you mentioned either).
gerunding View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerunding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 02:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7hbqxnhzU8

The diluted half music video version of this song ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxVNOnPyvIU ) is a contentious version that skirts the line between neo-soul resurgence and objectification. Completely, and in the context of the album, the false start from ?uestlove, the song is given credence, in and of itself. Strong in its first strum-plinks, coming in at 6/4, this is D'Angelo's (Michael Archer) masterpiece. The audio feel like an interpolation of the music video, and the stress of the tinny guitar (at first, anyway), serves as a perfect backdrop for the way the song progresses. The interesting thing about D'Angelo's lyrics are how they feel perfectly crafted as an homage to a bygone era, essentially becoming a post-modernist sound collage (think NEGATIVELAND's "U2") of what is essentially, "I'm here for love-making". Furthermore, on the direction of the music video, producer ?uestlove questioned Archer, asking if he was receiving oral stimulation in the music video. The music video rose in a meteoric fashion, eclipsing the musical talent of Archer, which lead to a subsequently tumultuous tour. In an attempt to please his fans, Archer would take every moment possible to maintain his physique, to the point of starvation and physical exhaustion. On top of that, Archer felt his music meant nothing to his fans, as he was essentially that "hot dude from that sexy video," becoming even more disenchanted with his musical pedigree. Eventually, he overcame his insecurities, fighting them with the comments that he'd rather just be fat, over anything. Archer's story served for a long time as a precaution to being objectified in many ways, even staring in his own Eddie Murphy-type sex sting. In spite of that, as well as sloppily mixing the political and sexual in his latest album, "Black Messiah," D'Angelo has persisted, lending his southern Virginia ways to the likes of Red Dead Redemption 2.

Edited by gerunding - April 01 2019 at 02:16
ForeverFloyd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForeverFloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 09:09
Alice in Chains often produce sad and beautiful songs, best of them;

Nutshell

Another one that I feel should be listed:
Seventh Wonder - Tears for a father 
Lydianlover View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 12:47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtbuUwUksRI

I love this song as well. 

Very sad song especially the lydian part. Feels like a song about somewhat offing themselves unable to continue with existence.  Listen to 1:56 - 2:32

Also, Arena - Elea, pins and needles, friday's dream.

Also post more concept like albums similar to the arena songs I mentioned. I want more music like them. You really limited goosebumps driven music is.

Lydianlover View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 12:51
Here are more

Jonas Lindberg - on the horizon

Shadow gallery - hope for us, Alaska
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 14:16
PETER HAMMILL - Easy to slip away, In The End
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 16:08

ELP -Lucky Man

I don't know which spiritual set of mind could help. In the end, it just says we are nothing, anything we do will in the end be nothing. How can we put that in a spiritual redeeming perspective?

To me that is entirely the point. Livgren was searching for a meaning or purpose to life. A lot of Kansas songs are about this seeking something. I find this honest and refreshing and indeed spiritual rather than depressing. I've never taken it that way. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>