0 [0.00%]
3 [4.69%]
4 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transitional Albums
    Posted: April 01 2019 at 08:30
A somewhat subjective list but I've seen all these mentioned as sort of in between or-on its way to become who they became-albums. I usually seem to have more love for these so-called bit of once was and what's to come-albums than most. Some consider Trespass/Nursery Cryme, Meddle, Lizard and The Yes Album as such albums but I don't really agree.

This was all I could think of from the top og my head, but I'm hoping for suggestions and some sort of discussion. Some, like Vangelis were seemingly in constant transition for over a decade and I guess there's really no wrong answers here.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 10:41
Before seeing the list, Can's Soundtracks is the first "transitional album" that I thought of, and so I am giving it my vote.  That said, I could happily vote for about half of these as there are many albums here that I count amongst my favourites.

Another albums that crossed my mind as something of a transitional album is Amon Duul II's Yeti.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 11:10
Nice list. To me, only Collage and Prologue really sound like transitional albums. Not the others.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 11:20
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Another albums that crossed my mind as something of a transitional album is Amon Duul II's Yeti.
Yes maybe I though of Amon Düül II but no album really stood out to me like that. I find Yeti fairly similar to their debut and it doesn't really give me the feel of "on the way" but rather the destination itself.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 11:25
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Nice list. To me, only Collage and Prologue really sound like transitional albums. Not the others.
Really? Well depends on how you approach it. To me it doesn't have to "sound transitional". The Magma, Miles, Art Zoyd and Can albums in the poll are the four most archtypically transitional albums with different approaches very similar to both former albums - and albums to come.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 11:43
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Another albums that crossed my mind as something of a transitional album is Amon Duul II's Yeti.
Yes maybe I though of Amon Düül II but no album really stood out to me like that. I find Yeti fairly similar to their debut and it doesn't really give me the feel of "on the way" but rather the destination itself. 

That makes sense to me.  I didn't think it was a very good example of one that is somewhat transitional.

Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Really? Well depends on how you approach it. To me it doesn't have to "sound transitional". The Magma, Miles, Art Zoyd and Can albums in the poll are the four most archtypically transitional albums with different approaches very similar to both former albums - and albums to come.

I agree on those albums.  Magma is moving more towards the traditional Zeuhl sound as exemplified by MDK rather than the more JRF sound of Kobaia.  With Art Zoyd, I might say that Phase IV was the last of the truly traditional RIO chamber rock approach of the earlier albums (which I would say reached its peak with Generation Sans Futur), and in Les Espaces Inquiets you see the move into more electronicy, minimalist-influenced soundcapes.  It does sound transitional between the early chamber music Zoyd period and the more "sterile"or "clinical" musical period of Le Mariage-up,. I actually think that one can hear the start of a musical transition with Phase IV and the introduction of Patricia Dallio, but Phase IV kept more of the classic chamber sound than later albums and Les Espaces Inquiets is the one that I would list as the transitional representative as a link between an older and newer sound (it's moving from a more classical sound to a more modern sound).

Edited by Logan - April 01 2019 at 11:52
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 12:29
In this batch, I had to go with Miles.  His fusion period is my favorite, but I also find those transitional albums (Filles de Kilimanjaor, Sorcerer, Nefertiti) leading his fusion period to be fascinating as well as great listening.  
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 12:39
First vote for Atem.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 15:18
Stand Up, which, for very personal reasons, is my favorite album of all times.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 16:06
Stand Up.....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 16:55
Stand Up is a splendid album, and can certainly be viewed as transitioning away from the blues-rock of the first album and morphing into what eventually would be considered progressive rock. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 17:28
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

In this batch, I had to go with Miles.  His fusion period is my favorite, but I also find those transitional albums (Filles de Kilimanjaor, Sorcerer, Nefertiti) leading his fusion period to be fascinating as well as great listening.  
I guess I think of Sorcerer, Nefertiti as the build-up to the transitional albums which I consider to be Miles in the Sky and Filles de Kilimanjaro. But I love them all.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 17:31
Jethro Tull - Stand Up > Renaissance - Prologue > Le Orme - Collage > Gryphon - Midnight Mushrumps > Klaus Schulze - Blackdance > Weather Report - Sweetnighter
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 17:50
Prologue is my favorite Renaissance. Going with that.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 18:33
I think "Meddle" is a fine transition from the exciting experimental phase to the crafted, classic, progrock phase of the Floyd. It still has some weirdness and eccentricity in the shorter tracks and interlude, but while Echoes is a side-long track, you can clearly hear the blueprint for the narcotic-ey blissful Gilmour-sound of their subsequent 1970s classics.

Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 18:34
Difficult for most others here to stand up against Stand Up. Such an excellent album. 

I agree that Miles' mid-late 60s albums are among his best. Filles De Kilimanjaro is an awesome album.

I voted for Soft Machine 2. There is quite simply nothing like it, including within the Soft Machine catalogue. 
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 19:05

I guess I think of Sorcerer, Nefertiti as the build-up to the transitional albums which I consider to be Miles in the Sky and Filles de Kilimanjaro. But I love them all.

I forgot about Miles in the Sky.  I'm less familiar with it than the others.  Time I made another run at it.   

He was pretty much evolving throughout that stretch.  There's no doubt that by Sorcerer he was moving beyond the cool jazz and hard bop of his past and into new musical territory, foreshadowing things to come, which is to me the essence of "transitional."  

The AllMusic review sums it up quite nicely with regard to Sorcerer:

"Sorcerer, the third album by the second Miles DavisQuintet, is in a sense a transitional album, a quiet, subdued affair that rarely blows hot, choosing to explore cerebral tonal colorings. Even when the tempo picks up, as it does on the title track, there's little of the dense, manic energy on Miles Smiles -- this is about subtle shadings, even when the compositions are as memorable as Tony Williams'' "Pee Wee" or Herbie Hancock's "Sorcerer." As such, it's a little elusive, since it represents the deepening of the band's music as they choose to explore different territory. The emphasis is as much on complex, interweaving chords and a coolly relaxed sound as it is on sheer improvisation, though each member tears off thoroughly compelling solos. Still, the individual flights aren't placed at the forefront the way they were on the two predecessors -- it all merges together, pointing toward the dense soundscapes of Miles' later '60s work."
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 22:25
I have 10 of these in my collection and they’re all pretty interesting but have voted for Cluster. Like many of the others in the poll it’s a very varied album but an immense transition and great achievement in moving from the utterly note-less, beat-less (and title-less) Cluster ‘71 to actual tunes on Zuckerzeit (via Musik Von Harmonia) and I prefer it to either.

Edited by 2dogs - April 01 2019 at 22:29
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 23:27
Vol. 2 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 00:53

I forgot about Miles in the Sky.  I'm less familiar with it than the others.  Time I made another run at it.   

He was pretty much evolving throughout that stretch.  There's no doubt that by Sorcerer he was moving beyond the cool jazz and hard bop of his past and into new musical territory, foreshadowing things to come, which is to me the essence of "transitional."  

The AllMusic review sums it up quite nicely with regard to Sorcerer:

"Sorcerer, the third album by the second Miles DavisQuintet, is in a sense a transitional album, a quiet, subdued affair that rarely blows hot, choosing to explore cerebral tonal colorings. Even when the tempo picks up, as it does on the title track, there's little of the dense, manic energy on Miles Smiles -- this is about subtle shadings, even when the compositions are as memorable as Tony Williams'' "Pee Wee" or Herbie Hancock's "Sorcerer." As such, it's a little elusive, since it represents the deepening of the band's music as they choose to explore different territory. The emphasis is as much on complex, interweaving chords and a coolly relaxed sound as it is on sheer improvisation, though each member tears off thoroughly compelling solos. Still, the individual flights aren't placed at the forefront the way they were on the two predecessors -- it all merges together, pointing toward the dense soundscapes of Miles' later '60s work."
I don't disagree and Sorcerer is all of what this Allmusic review says. The difference to me is that my two picks too contain this sort of complex, all acustic post-bop approach you find on the albums you mention - but also stretched out compositions featuring electric guitar/el piano & bass. And the differences in these compositions are found on very the same album. Its not just about the instrumentation. You can really hear Tony Williams playing in a relatively straight forward funk or rock mode as opposed to his wonderfully intimate and intricate "drum pocket somphonies". Check out how Herbie Hancock responds to that groove in the first fusion tune they ever included on an album Stuff (the opener on Miles in the Sky)

Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

I have 10 of these in my collection and they’re all pretty interesting but have voted for Cluster. Like many of the others in the poll it’s a very varied album but an immense transition and great achievement in moving from the utterly note-less, beat-less (and title-less) Cluster ‘71 to actual tunes on Zuckerzeit (via Musik Von Harmonia) and I prefer it to either.
Yeah those three first Cluster-albums are all radically different from each other but while great on its own II  still feels like the logical in betweener.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - April 02 2019 at 01:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>