Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

which songs gives you "'goosebumps''

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 10:21
on Meddle when youv heard the entire first half, Seamus is finaly sizzeling out and scilence....than   <<PING>> tension and scielnce, another PING,the sign that Echoes is, Echoes IS. the first PING and the succesing pings in that piece and its contextual 'story' gives me shivvers down my spine, goosebumps, and tears of awe.

Edited by Icarium - October 21 2019 at 10:22
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 06:02
PT: Lazarus.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 06:50
Same here - "Echoes" - an epic and uplifting song almost beyond compare! Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 22 2019 at 06:51
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 08:17
Certain sections of many songs qualify but for a full song it would be the sadly ignored Dear Father by Yes. Never fails to touch me deeply like no other can.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 04:29
Karn Evil 9 1st Impression Part 2
Fripp's guitar on the intro to Starless
The chorus chord progression of In the Court of the Crimson King
The Barbarian by ELP
The climax to Larks Tongues in Aspic Part 1
The closing section of a Time and a Place by ELP

BTW Do geese get goosebumps?
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 04:37
Gong - I Never Glid Before.  The moment when Steve Hillage's guitar just cuts in and takes over
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 04:38
side 2 of Dark Side of The Moon
And Time 
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 04:39
Queen - Las Palabras De Amor
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 04:54
sort of fitting since I just popped him in but a easy choice for it never fails to induce goosebumps, hair standing straight on arms, head and .. umm.. other places.

pure musical perfection whose effect does not dim after hundreds.. perhaps thousands of listen. but only gets stronger. 

Sequenze e Frequenze
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 06:03
non prog, Vienna - Ultravox
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 06:30
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

non prog, Vienna - Ultravox

This means nothing to me
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 23:46
Vienna
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 00:55
I honestly don't remember all songs that gave me goosebumps at some point, but I do know there are three great places to get them, in my case:

Supper's Ready.
If I'm very much into it, I get the goosebumps as early as "The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man". You, can't you see he's fooled you all <-- that's the spot. Sometimes I have the same reaction during "Ikhnaton" (waiting for battle!), "Willow Farm" (Feel your body melt) and "Apocalypse in 9/8" (In blood he's writing the lyrics for a brand new tune).
But the main reason I brought up Supper's Ready is the last part, "As Sure as Eggs is Eggs" because I get the goosebumps almost every time. It's strange really. I try not to listen to this song more than 3-4 times a year just to preserve that emotional and honest reaction to Lord of Lord, King of Kings, New Jerusalem bit.
And I swear I'm not exaggerating! Last time it happened was a week ago or so, once more I was amazed how it affects me after all these years.

Scorched Earth - Arrow - The Sleepwalkers.
My hypothalamus is usually responding to Godbluff's awesomeness in the middle of "Scorched Earth", but I also get goosebumps in the latter parts. The intensity is crazy here, hazardously contagious stuff.

Ommadawn Part 1.
The only section that leaves me a bit cold is the frantic fetal movement at the end (ear-piercing guitar solos). All the rest is magnificent and extremely goosebumps-worthy.

So these three are almost sure bets. I have to mention King Crimson for causing goosebumps with at least 6 different albums at some point, last time I got it was in the middle of "Cirkus".

YoniFloyd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoniFloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 16:42
• Pink Floyd: Shine On You Crazy Diamond (both parts), Welcome To The Machine, Time, Dogs, Pigs, Echoes, Comfortably Numb
• King Crimson: 21st Century Schizoid Man, Epitaph, Lizard, Exiles, The Night Watch, Fallen Angel, Starless
• Yes: Close To The Edge, The Gates Of Delirium
• Genesis: Firth Of Fifth, Get 'Em Out By Friday, The Musical Box
• Rush: La Villa Strangiato, YYZ
• Lez Zeppelin: Since I've Been Loving You
• Camel: Lady Fantasy, Rhayader Goes To Town
• Can: Paperhouse
• Death: Trapped In A Corner, Spirit Crusher
• Deep Purple: Child In Time
• Dream Theater: Learning To Live
• Eloy: Poseidon's Creation
• Iron Maiden: The Phantom Of The Opera, Powerslave, Infinite Dreams
• Judas Priest: Painkiller
• Los Jaivas: La Poderosa Muerte
• Metallica: Fade To Black, Welcome Home, One, And Justice For All (the song)
• Opeth: Bleak, Windowpane
• Pantera: Domination, Floods
• Primus: Harold Of The Rocks
• Queen: Innuendo
• Radiohead: How To Disappear Completely, Sail To The Moon
• Rage Against The Machine: Killing In The Name
• Rainbow: Stargazer
• The Doors: Light My Fire
• The Who: Quadrophenia (the song)
• Tool: Lateralus (the song), Rosetta Stoned
• Wishbone Ash: Sometime World
• Wobbler: From Silence To Somewhere (the song)
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 19:54
Talk Talk - "I Believe In You"

GingerFox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GingerFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2020 at 10:27
Agreed!
Where my country at?
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2020 at 10:40
Even for someone like me who's not a big fan of King Crimson, you've gotta love their Mellotron epics:- "Starless", Epitaph", "Cadence & Cascade" and "The Court of the Crimson King". Thumbs Up
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2020 at 23:08
It's the hooks that give me the goosebumps and one of the best hooks that comes to mind is Spock's Beard's Walking On The Wind when after about two minutes there's a beautiful bass line followed by moog and then the full chorus comes into frame.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2020 at 13:34
KC Starless, the point at which Fripp finishes his long climb up the scale and WAILS on that high note

Camel/Happy the Man, Eye of the Storm

Many other Camel songs, come to think of it — Breathless, Ice, Hymn to Her (the “why don’t we know” part), Drafted
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 16:41
Camel - Lunar Sea, For Today, La Princesse Perdue, Fingertips to name a few.
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome, The Same River, I Turned You Down
Genesis - The Cinema Show, Firth of Fifth, The Fountain of Salamacis, Can Utility and the Coastliners, to name a few.
Strawbs - Benedictus, Autumn, The Hangman and the Papist, Down by the sea and several others.
Horslips - King of the Fairies, Dearg Doom, Sword of Light, Furniture.
Mostly Autumn - The Night Sky, Evergreen, The Gap is Too Wide, Viking Funeral amongst many more.
Wishbone Ash - Throw Down the Sword, Valediction, Ballad of the Beacon
Gryphon - Midnight Mushrumps, Spring Song, Ein Kleine Heldenleben
Renaissance - Mother Russia, Black Flame, Ocean Gypsy
IQ - Widows Peak, Guiding Light, Leap of Faith, The Road of Bones and many more
Pendragon - Breaking the Spell, Master of Illusion, many more
Marillion - Jigsaw, Easter, Forgotten Sons
Just a few!

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>