Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

which songs gives you "'goosebumps''

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 17:31
Magma live gives me goosebumps, especially the live version of "Ẁurdah Ītah"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 17:40
This is too personal.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 06:46
Not so much whole songs but guitar solos, particularly closing ones, often give me goosebumps. Examples being

Throw Down The Sword (Wishbone Ash)
The Door (Neal Morse)
Comfortably Numb
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 22:12
The one song that ALWAYS gives me goosebumps is "Watcher of the Skies" on the LP "Genesis Live!"  

The raucous cheering and applause at the opening Mellotron chords always sends me into orbit!  I cannot help but to clap and cheer along every time I hear it!  

Here, dig it!  HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!  Clap

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 07:26
Schicke & Fuhrs & Frohling's Pictures.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
YoniFloyd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote YoniFloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 00:45
the starless final part with that bass you know the last oneWink

that's all

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 03:37
This is the tremendous epic which never fails to send shivers up my spine and brings me out in goose-pimples, especially the thumping bass line and magnificent keyboard solo.  Look out for the surprise ending where Rick Wakeman transforms into Merlin the Magician. Thumbs Up

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 10:04
^'King Arthur' always came off to my ears as an excuse for Wakeman to get some of his drinking buddy-musician friends together and have a party.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
YoniFloyd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoniFloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 00:19
the keyboard solo close to the edge oh man gets me every time
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:50
The violin solo in Rush's Losing It.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 11:32
I don't really tend to get goosebumps or shivers listening to music. Usually, no matter how strong the emotional reaction or mental reaction I have, it doesn't manifest itself physically. However when I heard the 1980 live version of Rush's Xanadu included in their Permanent Waves 40th Anniversary box set, hearing Alex play the opening theme with his heavier PeW era tone rather than his AFTK era tone made me turn my head and just listen in awe.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
PrimeReviewsMusic View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrimeReviewsMusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 14:34
The ending of Close to the Edge is always sure to do it! Also, the "murder scene" during the song Scene Nine: Finally Free in Dream Theater's Metropolis Part 2 always ends up giving me chills.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 23:24
The closing reprise of CTTE gets me every single time, no exception. NOW THAT YOU'RE FINE NOW THAT YOU'RE WHOOOOOOOOLE!.....SEASONS WILL PASS YOU BY....I GET UP!....I GET DO-WN!!!....

That is pure etherial angelic frequency condensed into vibrations suitable for human perception, my friends.

Also, unrelated to the above, but the more listens I give this, the more I'm convinced this might actually be a perfect 5/5, 10/10, etc. progressive rock track (instrumental, no vocals, Italian, don't worry lol):

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 00:50
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The one song that ALWAYS gives me goosebumps is "Watcher of the Skies" on the LP "Genesis Live!"  

The raucous cheering and applause at the opening Mellotron chords always sends me into orbit!  I cannot help but to clap and cheer along every time I hear it!  

Here, dig it!  HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!  Clap

It's one of the best openings to a live album I've ever heard. I love it too. To be honest I like the mellotron intro to Watcher.. more than I like the song overall. This live version is better than the studio version IMO.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2021 at 10:07
Hatfield & the North's The Yes No Interlude.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2021 at 11:36
Yes- close to the edge
  "   - The gates of delirium
Genesis -supper's ready
  "       firth of fifth (steve's guitar solo especially)
Spock's Beard -the doorway (ending part especially)
Anglagard - Jordrok 
Gentle Giant -three friends
VDGG -pilgrims
Mike Oldfield -tubular bells (especially towards the end of side one with the instrument naming section)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 08 2021 at 11:48
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 04:25
I have couple tracks that can do this trick :)
It seems most of these are connected to vocals. Hmm interesting :) Anyway, here they are:

Yes "Awaken" (ascending vocal melodies at the begining and the same when they comeback later)
Pink Floyd  "Careful with that axe Eugene" - Pompei version (Waters' scream) 
Swans "In my garden" - the way Jarboe sings - so gentle and otherworldy <3
Van der Graaf Generator - "The plague of lighthouse keepers" - the way Hammil builds the tension leading to the eruption around 11th minute. 

And one is instrumental music related:
King Crimson "Sailor's tale"  - there is a part  around 4:33 which sounds like the whole Universe just exploded and started running ahead, if it makes any sense :)

Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 04:59
Ninet Tayeb's vocals in Steven Wilson's 'Routine' (especially when listened while watching the film).

Even at a soundcheck, she's pouring every ounce of emotion in!

Edited by Ronstein - January 29 2021 at 05:17
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 10:53
Moon Safari's "A Kid Called Panic" from Lover's End. Absolutely GORGEOUS.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 11:36
Just played "Afraid of Everything" from Pendragon's Love Over Fear for the first time in a while, that gave me a severe case of the goosebumps, especially when Clive Nolan hits the piano arpeggios in the middle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>