Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peter Hammill's Voice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which best descibes how you feel about Peter Hammill's voice?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
41 [53.25%]
18 [23.38%]
3 [3.90%]
8 [10.39%]
7 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 09:17
and one for the haters.

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 09:38
I'm not very experienced with the VDGG/PH discography but I havce certainly heard songs where his voice is perfect for the song.  Solo tracks like "Breakdown" and "handicap and Equality" come to mind
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 10:08
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

and one for the haters.

good thing you chose the LP version; it is way better than the CD version

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 10:39
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Despite all the options, none describe my feelings. There are some songs where his singing gives me adrenaline rushes because it's so intense and good. But there are other songs where that intensity seems over the top and I don't like it at all. So my choice would be: Love it AND hate it.

This was an unanticipated reply. It never occurred to me that people could choose mixed as distinct from neutral. On the other hand, not everything that Peter Hammill did appeals to me, especially from his solo work. But in spite of this, I still regard him as a genius with an amazing voice.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 22:26
It's poetry rather than singing - like Roger Waters, John Lennon, Bob Dylan and Jim Morrison. It's an aquired taste that requires a bit of patience.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 01:16
Most beloved of all acquired tastes.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 07:33
Love it ... his voice is like a fine instrument, Peter Hammill is tops. 

Edited by Enchant X - April 12 2019 at 08:03
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 10:04
I 'like' him from a very technical perspective.  I can sit and marvel at what all he is able to do.  But as for emotional connection, zero for me.  There is a particular vocal placement (very forward sounding but without say Freddie's brightness and purity) he uses which seems to be peculiar to British male singers.  Loads of them in Britpop/90s alt rock have it, particularly Thom Yorke (and I don't like it in his voice either).  The online voice coach Carl Wehden also uses it and again, it just turns me off. Oh wait, Halford too and again, I don't particularly like THAT quality but because he is singing metal and screaming in head voice half the time, I don't notice it so much but I really dislike it in songs like Dreamer/Deceiver.Actually, come to think of it, barring a few exceptions (and these tend to be the ones who sing in a more conventional style such as would easily cross over to America), I have always related to American singers more.  And I have never heard this kind of placement in other European singers, be they Francesco Di Giacomo or Klaus Meine or Agnetha.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 20:33
Yeah I voted, 'Love it." I think it's really great.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 10:20
I'm with it, man.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 08:58
Love it but, unlike the OP, can certainly see and understand why people would hate it.
jc
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 10:06
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

It's poetry rather than singing - like Roger Waters, John Lennon, Bob Dylan and Jim Morrison. It's an acquired taste that requires a bit of patience.

And I think that is the part that rock fans and top ten fannies, are not capable of appreciating ... it's like they are looking for all the notes in Joe Cocker's voice, or Roger Chapman's, and they simply can not appreciate the ability they have to make the lyric and the song come alive like no one else could. It's also a bit of ACTING, although that part is not as visible otherwise. Roy Harper also fits the bill ... the expression is so clear and so strong ... it stands out!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 10:09
Intensity / Dramatic Expression (sometimes over the top, I admit) !

... and being a substantial part of the  identity of VDGG, make him one of my most beloved singers in rock (not mentioning the composer, but that's not the point here and now)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 10:10
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I guess is not his voice, but his delivery that I don't really get. I don't dislike it though, it just doesn't appeal to my taste.

Well said...that sums it up for me.

Stern Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 07:10
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

... and being a substantial part of the  identity of VDGG, make him one of my most beloved singers in rock (not mentioning the composer, but that's not the point here and now)

Over the top is a hard thing to identify and use ... for example, in theater history, everyone thought that Marlon Brando screaming STELLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAA so loud, is what made Tennessee Williams and the Acting Studio famous ... it was heard LOUD AND CLEAR, so much so that they could not even film it right!

The same thing happened in England ... in the mid 50's when the so-called "Angry Young Men" stood up and created a type of theater that is not quite enjoyed in America, just like Tennessee Williams is not quite enjoyed in London! It has a tone, that is "over the top", and one could even say, that Lawrence Olivier and Richard Burton stood out in this department and then some.

In rock music, though, can we say that Roger is also over the top in his famous scream? I don't think so ... it was there to make a point, and well it did, and then some ... we we still hear it and like the song, and its powerful "gut" ... screaming for some freedom! It is an important moment and definition of that song, that might not otherwise have stood out. I would even suggest the Beatles were also guilty ... extending a piano note ... for what might not even be a point at all ... or doing a live recording walking down the street and calling it #9 and everyone thinking it is an important piece of something or other ... you can do this walking down the street ... it won't be exactly the same, but the feeling is almost the same! How's that for "over the top"? To actually think that they can do anything and we will think it is important!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 07:35
Sometimes "over the top" makes the point, that's for sure Big smile anyway the guy is not for everyone's taste and sometimes not an easy listening even for fans (not you?)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 20:58
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Over the top is a hard thing to identify and use ... for example, in theater history, everyone thought that Marlon Brando screaming STELLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAA so loud, is what made Tennessee Williams and the Acting Studio famous ... it was heard LOUD AND CLEAR, so much so that they could not even film it right!

The same thing happened in England ... in the mid 50's when the so-called "Angry Young Men" stood up and created a type of theater that is not quite enjoyed in America, just like Tennessee Williams is not quite enjoyed in London! It has a tone, that is "over the top", and one could even say, that Lawrence Olivier and Richard Burton stood out in this department and then some.

In rock music, though, can we say that Roger is also over the top in his famous scream? I don't think so ... it was there to make a point, and well it did, and then some ... we we still hear it and like the song, and its powerful "gut" ... screaming for some freedom! It is an important moment and definition of that song, that might not otherwise have stood out. I would even suggest the Beatles were also guilty ... extending a piano note ... for what might not even be a point at all ... or doing a live recording walking down the street and calling it #9 and everyone thinking it is an important piece of something or other ... you can do this walking down the street ... it won't be exactly the same, but the feeling is almost the same! How's that for "over the top"? To actually think that they can do anything and we will think it is important!

I expect you are talking about Careful with that Axe, Eugene, when you say his famous scream. I certainly can't think of any other recording using just a scream in such an effective and protagonic way. For all the extreme vocals on some metal acts and such, they all stand behind what Roger was able to do there. Still, if you want to know what that song sounds like without the famous scream, there are a few ones on the new early box sets (at least one) without the scream... some of them joined with Green is the Color. And then, there's the original studio one, which even though it actually features the scream, it's much lower in the volume (I much prefer the live version, specially the more famous one on Ummagumma).
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2019 at 17:30
Best male voice in prog. That's all I have to say.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 23:59
Hard to disagree. Scorched Earth gives me goosebumps every time I hear and really it's down to Hammill.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 23:42
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Absolutely love his voice. Very divisive prog band in general. Top tier for me.

Agreed 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>