Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog Songs covered by String Quartets/Cellos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Songs covered by String Quartets/Cellos

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 03 2006
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terra Australis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Songs covered by String Quartets/Cellos
    Posted: April 12 2019 at 04:57
I have a couple of CDs of Tool music played by String Quartets which sound great... This week I have been listening to 'Break of Reality' (three Cellos and a Drummer) which also do fabulous covers.

It occurred to me today that I would love to hear one of my favourite King Crimson tracks done by a String Quartet or a group of Cellos ( not sure what that is called).

Does anyone know if 'Fracture' has been covered by Cellos or a String Quartet?

Also, what track would you like to hear covered by a string section...


Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.com
Back to Top
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 22 2010
Location: Indiana
Status: Offline
Points: 11311
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 11:10
I don't now of any prog being done in a classical manner but Crimson Jazz Trio vol 1 and 2 do some nice acoustic  versions of many great KC songs.....you can ck it out on you tube.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Back to Top
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 02 2016
Location: Philly burbs
Status: Offline
Points: 2901
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 11:36
Nope, not really. I know there's a quartet that did mostly Metallica covers called Apocalyptica but as for pure prog I don't know. I never came across any though.
When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.
Back to Top
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avatar
Forum Moderator

Joined: April 05 2006
Location: Utopia
Status: Offline
Points: 16914
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 12:15


Here's FraKcTured arranged for strings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDj-zmNfwXM



Keing Crimson arranged for cello and piano: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE73_V31Mpo

Edited by Logan - April 12 2019 at 12:16
"Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself" (The Prisoner).
Back to Top
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 09 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 3196
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 20:41
There's a "Jethro Tull The String Quartet" album, which unfortunately, was not as good as it could have been, maybe because Ian Anderson insisted in singing a few songs, and his voice is quite gone by now, or maybe because some of the arrangements were sub par for the potential the songs had. However, there are a few interesting tunes on that CD.
Back to Top
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 14 2017
Location: Schenectady NY
Status: Offline
Points: 145
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 23:03
This isn't going to be very helpful but there is a Japanese cellist who did a fine cover of Larks Tongues In Aspic, Pt.2.

Heard it late at night on the radio here at work a couple of years ago. No more than three of four years. I was stunned. Stunned to hear it, and then at how good it was.

It came second, I believe, in a series of covers by this same artist. The first was Purple Haze, and that was good, too. But almost fell off my chair when Larks followed.

"Hey! This is...!"

Sadly, and I apologize; I am sorry - I do not remember who did it. I cannot find any info regarding the work. I hesitated even posting to mention anything about it, and am even now questioning doing so.

Except I know it exists. And, that it's good!

Again, apologies for my ignorance,

Frank
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
Back to Top
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 03 2006
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terra Australis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 03:40
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I don't now of any prog being done in a classical manner but Crimson Jazz Trio vol 1 and 2 do some nice acoustic  versions of many great KC songs.....you can ck it out on you tube.

Thanks for reminding me. I have these and they are great! Have to get them out for another listen!
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.com
Back to Top
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 03 2006
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terra Australis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 03:48
^ Thanks Logan for the ones you posted, these are great!
I did find the version of Frakctured too:

But I would love Fracture! 




Edited by Terra Australis - April 13 2019 at 04:02
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.com
Back to Top
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 03 2006
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terra Australis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 03:52
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

There's a "Jethro Tull The String Quartet" album, which unfortunately, was not as good as it could have been, maybe because Ian Anderson insisted in singing a few songs, and his voice is quite gone by now, or maybe because some of the arrangements were sub par for the potential the songs had. However, there are a few interesting tunes on that CD.

Thanks Manuel. I would be interested in this too if not for Ian's vocals... Cry
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.com
Back to Top
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 03 2006
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terra Australis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 03:54
Originally posted by Frankh Frankh wrote:

This isn't going to be very helpful but there is a Japanese cellist who did a fine cover of Larks Tongues In Aspic, Pt.2.

Heard it late at night on the radio here at work a couple of years ago. No more than three of four years. I was stunned. Stunned to hear it, and then at how good it was.

It came second, I believe, in a series of covers by this same artist. The first was Purple Haze, and that was good, too. But almost fell off my chair when Larks followed.

"Hey! This is...!"

Sadly, and I apologize; I am sorry - I do not remember who did it. I cannot find any info regarding the work. I hesitated even posting to mention anything about it, and am even now questioning doing so.

Except I know it exists. And, that it's good!

Again, apologies for my ignorance,

Frank

Ahhhh! Now I want to hear it... No need to apologise. As you say, at least we know of its existence. Maybe someone else will find it. Smile
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.com
Back to Top
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Joined: March 16 2007
Location: Boston
Status: Offline
Points: 8296
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 07:20
Check this out on AltRock


A Chamber Quartet playing Avant covers.
Ian




Back to Top
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 04 2007
Location: Grok City
Status: Offline
Points: 8161
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 20:54
Hi,

How about the reverse? Groups playing actual string quartets or equivalent? Like Gryphon, Terje Rypdal (check out EOS), Third Ear Band, and many others?
... none of the hits, none of the time ... now try finding your own mirror/art! www.pedrosena.com
Back to Top
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 03 2006
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terra Australis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 03:00
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Check this out on AltRock


A Chamber Quartet playing Avant covers.

This is pretty cool. Thanks!
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.com
Back to Top
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 03 2006
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terra Australis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 03:02
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

How about the reverse? Groups playing actual string quartets or equivalent? Like Gryphon, Terje Rypdal (check out EOS), Third Ear Band, and many others?

Good idea too. However, I am more interested in Classical musicians playing Prog stuff at the minute. I still would love to hear Fracture performed by a quartet. 
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.com
Back to Top
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 04 2007
Location: Grok City
Status: Offline
Points: 8161
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 08:13
Originally posted by Terra Australis Terra Australis wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

How about the reverse? Groups playing actual string quartets or equivalent? Like Gryphon, Terje Rypdal (check out EOS), Third Ear Band, and many others?

Good idea too. However, I am more interested in Classical musicians playing Prog stuff at the minute. I still would love to hear Fracture performed by a quartet. 

As much as I like the idea, the results often are not as inspiring and neat as original music that actually gives a solid tip of the hat to something that is "idealistic" at best.

Personally, I don't like to see classical musicians doing anything, but their "written and accepted" material ... and the reason is that most of those folks are not very good at improvising and adding to the space in the music ... and it takes away some of the beauty of the work for me ... I got to see Jean Pierre Rampal try to do some of this stuff many years ago, and it was terrible ... absolutely awful ... and of all the classical folks doing pop ... it's even hard to find folks that are solid on it ... maybe with the exception of Rachel Flowers, but she is almost the opposite ... she's more about showing us what GREAT compositions sound like on a piano (specially Keith), and so on.

Part of the problem might just be that "popular music" and a "top ten scenario" will not accept something different and a classical this or that becomes a freak ... a total freak that only a handful of people will see and it won't be recorded. 

My best example for how some folks that do classical music can do rock music, will always be CARAVAN and the NEW SINFONIA ... a wonderful album ... where the orchestra almost walked out because they wanted to get paid more for something that was already losing money ... but was magnificent in its design and performance. AND, of course, the rock/pop fans hate it because it is not "progressive" like the top 5! And in so many ways, this band was showing how classically oriented and intelligent musically they really were ... but that idea is not progressive because it does not have some show'y person in a cloak ... of fake gold!

Oh wait ... another version of STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN ... this time by Pink Martini in Portland ... so you can fall asleep on it!

Just sad and sick at the same time!


Edited by moshkito - April 15 2019 at 08:18
... none of the hits, none of the time ... now try finding your own mirror/art! www.pedrosena.com
Back to Top
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Joined: October 31 2006
Location: Italy
Status: Offline
Points: 8599
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 03:15
Not a quartet as they have 3 strings, a sax and a vocalist...but try Quintorigo. 
Lots of covers from Deep Purple, Hendrix, Kraftwerk, Bowie, Mingus, but their own material, in particular the first albums with John De Leo deserve to be listened in front of translated lyrics.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
Back to Top
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 03 2006
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terra Australis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 16:42
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Not a quartet as they have 3 strings, a sax and a vocalist...but try Quintorigo. 
Lots of covers from Deep Purple, Hendrix, Kraftwerk, Bowie, Mingus, but their own material, in particular the first albums with John De Leo deserve to be listened in front of translated lyrics.


Thanks for this. Had a listen to them and I enjoyed it. Great version of Highway Star and Show me Your hand is very cool.
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.com
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.328 seconds.