Poll Question: Pick your favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [17.39%]
38 [82.61%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 09:14
Renaissance gets the nod for this poll.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 10:54
Renaissance.......but I do like the fist 2 Earth and Fire lp's.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 14:48
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Renaissance easily.  I do enjoy E&F's first few albums but rarely listen to them.  The title track of "Marching Children" is absolutely stupendous, though, and I have a soft spot for any band with a track called "Tuffy the Cat".

Tuffy indeed.LOL.
B-side instrumental.Dread to think how the lyrics would have been.Big smile
Shake & bake.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 07:54
Renaissance are top quality in every way, very few bands could challenge Renaissance at what they achieved, I'm listening to them now as I type and its great stuff.  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 19:11
Started listening to Earth & Fire again thanks to this poll and they are a lot better than I remembered them to be. Wouldn't change my vote but E&F have this fun Canterbury lite vibe which I love in prog.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 07:19
I voted for Renaissance although I really like Earth & Fire too. For anyone who wants an introduction to the Symphonic Prog of Earth & Fire, I can highly recommend the 2-CD compilation album below. I should mention that they turned into a Disco band in the 1980's though. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 15 2019 at 07:20
freed View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote freed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 03:41
I am really surprised that no-one mentioned the Atlantis LP with the Atlantis suite which for me is one of the best records ever. Jerney Kaagman has this superb voice, and all the matching instruments are in place, too. 'Song of the Marching Children' is rightfully mentioned by many, but then in reviews 'Atlantis' is downgraded as similar... How is that possible? While 'Maybe Tomorrow Maybe Tonight' even today stands out as an enticing hit single of those years.
By the way, one of my similarly favorite bands is Renaissance, right from the get-go in 1969 when I saw them live in Switzerland in their first incarnation. Ever since, I followed them and have almost all their vinyls up to 'A Song for all Seasons'. Happy to have found them, but also grateful for 'Earth and Fire'.
expand y-our mind, expand y-our world at planetwork.org
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 04:33
Originally posted by freed freed wrote:

I am really surprised that no-one mentioned the Atlantis LP with the Atlantis suite which for me is one of the best records ever. Jerney Kaagman has this superb voice, and all the matching instruments are in place, too. 'Song of the Marching Children' is rightfully mentioned by many, but then in reviews 'Atlantis' is downgraded as similar... How is that possible? While 'Maybe Tomorrow Maybe Tonight' even today stands out as an enticing hit single of those years.
By the way, one of my similarly favorite bands is Renaissance, right from the get-go in 1969 when I saw them live in Switzerland in their first incarnation. Ever since, I followed them and have almost all their vinyls up to 'A Song for all Seasons'. Happy to have found them, but also grateful for 'Earth and Fire'.

Atlantis ,to me, is just as good as SotMC,and I totally love the mellotron drenched MTMT single.
Glad you brought it up.
E&F had a short but fantastic run.First 5 albums are incredible .
Shake & bake.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 04:58
Renaissance kick as of late, and I'll finally own that damn record! Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 08:07
 I have to listen to E&F again.  I do remember Atlantis being close in quality to its predecessor.  What is the first E&F (s/t) like?

Edited by kenethlevine - July 28 2020 at 08:07
Politician View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Politician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 13:16
Renaissance have the more substantial oeuvre (five truly great studio albums, two very good ones, all the rest at least moderately good) so I have to give them the edge over Earth & Fire (three truly great albums; the rest range from moderately good to mediocre to truly dire).
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2020 at 03:46
Renaissance for sure, but Earth & Fire has some excellent albums until 1975 included.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12