Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis and Melody

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misenum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis and Melody
    Posted: April 26 2019 at 17:20
Awhile ago a friend of mine said he didn't like Peter Gabriel era Genesis because in his own words, "Genesis just doesn't have any melody in their music". I never quite understood what he meant by this as I don't have enough knowledge to determine just by listening if a song is melodic or not. I'm a big fan of Genesis and was wondering if anyone could explain whether or not their music tends to be melodic or not. What exactly makes a song melodic and how does that affect someones enjoyment of that particular piece of music?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 17:37
Your friend is right.  Of course technically, any notes stung together in a normally pleasing and musical way is a melody, but I think he means Gabriel's vocal complements (not to mention his lyrics) are far too complex and experimental to be easily recalled, sung, understood or immediately appreciated by most people and many musicians too.   Gabriel's later solo work is much more 'melodic' in that way.   Neither approach is better--  one could say Genesis' progressive era was compositionally superior, but artistically any of Paul Simon's work is just as good as any of Peter Gabriel's.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 19:09
That's like saying Yes and Pink Floyd don't have melody. Genesis had it but not in an overtly catchy way maybe until they became pop superstars. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 19:36
^ But Yes and Pink Floyd did often have distinct and memorable melody, Genesis not so much.

Edited by Atavachron - April 26 2019 at 19:37
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 19:48
I think that's a bizarre criticism of Genesis... They've got plenty of melody. Try singing the vocal line of Dancing With The Moonlit Knight without any words; I think it's quite pretty on its own. Or imagine the vocal line from the beginning of Supper's Ready played on flute... actually you don't need to imagine because that's how the 2nd movement ends. It's a strong enough melody that it can effectively be adapted instrumentally.

I think a good way to imagine "melodic" music is to look at something that's not very melodic. For example, the song "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers; popular song, gets played on the radio all the time. Imagine if the vocal part on the verses was played on an instrument... It would be one note over and over again. There's no really shape to it; it's all a flat line.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 20:48
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ But Yes and Pink Floyd did often have distinct and memorable melody, Genesis not so much.

I suppose that's ultimately a matter of opinion.

Supper's Ready, I know what I like, Fountain of Sulmacis, the lamb title track, carpet crawlers, dance on a volcano, stagnation, etc. Not memorable? I would say they were as much as any early Yes or PF. They weren't as big simply because they weren't on a major label and didn't get a lot of radio airplay.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 26 2019 at 20:49
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 20:58
It's not that those cuts weren't quite memorable as pieces of music, it's that they were entirely forgettable as well-edited, professional songs that are of high quality and at the same time digestible.   I think of anyone from Joni Mitchell to the Police to Black Sabbath.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 21:18
As little as I know of music theory, I would say there are very beautiful melodies on Genesis Gabriel era songs, that's why I like them. Perhaps they are not as catchy, and that's what makes your friend say so.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 21:22
Tony Banks is Mr Melody--and he has always been with the band with and without Peter---so the premise is silly Banks is one of the best melody writers ever---add Hackett into the mix and you had magic--although the whole band is an amazing group of individuals .
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 21:24
Originally posted by Misenum Misenum wrote:

Awhile ago a friend of mine said he didn't like Peter Gabriel era Genesis because in his own words, "Genesis just doesn't have any melody in their music". I never quite understood what he meant by this as I don't have enough knowledge to determine just by listening if a song is melodic or not. I'm a big fan of Genesis and was wondering if anyone could explain whether or not their music tends to be melodic or not. What exactly makes a song melodic and how does that affect someones enjoyment of that particular piece of music?

Atavachron has addressed where your friend's POV comes from and it is similar to George Starostin's approach also.  If I recall, he too didn't necessarily rate the melodies of Genesis very high.  

I think it is more apt to say they don't really have melodic MOTIFS delivered by way of vocals in their tracks. If you take Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, it doesn't really stick with the Can You Tell Me Where My Country Lies vocal melody.  Rather, that refrain itself keeps developing and morphing.  "Dance right on through the night/Join the dance" is the only real motif here and it only makes two appearances in the entire track.  Similar is the case with Cinema Show.  Just for comparison, Beethoven's Symphony No.9 has more repetitions of the motif in the first three or more minutes itself than does Dancing with the Moonlit Knight. 

You can see the difference already when they get to Trick of the Tail.  Squonk in particular has a much more catchy hook.  In a way, what Banks said is not wrong. It took getting Gabriel and eventually Hackett too out of the way for Genesis to start writing the pop songs that maybe he and Collins were always capable of. 

So is it good or bad?  Depends purely on what you want from music.  I am comfortable with both approaches.  Gentle Giant too have a very non cyclical approach to writing vocal melody and their melodies too are often way too complicated to be memorable by themselves. Writing catchy melody with ample number of re-iterations isn't the be all end all either.  I mean baby baby o baby baby, if you get the drift. 

But qualitatively, it is possible to say Yes were stronger at writing melody because their music wasn't any less progressive than Genesis for it. Similar is the case with King Crimson.  The vocal motif of Starless is in essence quite simple and memorable though the track per se is very complex.  The guitar motif of Starless is also simple yet effective. So I don't know that Genesis ever completely figured out this aspect of prog.  Where you take a simple idea that could be used in pop music too and snowball it into something gigantic. This is pretty much the Keith Emerson definition of prog (and Tarkus again is a good example of it).  They (Genesis) preferred complicated noodle instead.  But it's still a nice noodle methinks.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 21:26
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Tony Banks is Mr Melody--and he has always been with the band with and without Peter---so the premise is silly Banks is one of the best melody writers ever---add Hackett into the mix and you had magic--although the whole band is an amazing group of individuals .

I think the question worth exploring though is whether Gabriel somewhere constrained Banks from writing as memorable a melody as he could have in his own right.  Because there is a marked difference in the approach to writing melody once Gabriel gets out of the way.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 21:38
Thank you rogerthat for articulating things better than I ever could (Gentle Giant a good comparison).   Interesting that Gabriel, once he warmed-up as a solo artist, matured, and got more more focused, also began doing more specific motifs, 'songs' if you will. 

Great topic BTW, ripe with potential for discussion & debate.

Edited by Atavachron - April 26 2019 at 21:40
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 22:05
I've always felt Gentle Giant was particularly good at reusing motifs throughout a song, Pantagruel's Nativity being a prime example (opening synth line = "How can I laugh or cry?" melody = guitar melody before the heavy part = horn part underneath solos = trumpet part after solos... a lot of mileage for quite a simple melody). Of course, they loved to embellish the melodies with strange harmonies and a lot of counterpoint, so it's not always apparent.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 22:06
^ True they were more disciplined than early Genesis ~
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 22:09
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

That's like saying Yes and Pink Floyd don't have melody. Genesis had it but not in an overtly catchy way maybe until they became pop superstars. 

The song "That's All" comes to mind immediately.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 23:27
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I've always felt Gentle Giant was particularly good at reusing motifs throughout a song, Pantagruel's Nativity being a prime example (opening synth line = "How can I laugh or cry?" melody = guitar melody before the heavy part = horn part underneath solos = trumpet part after solos... a lot of mileage for quite a simple melody). Of course, they loved to embellish the melodies with strange harmonies and a lot of counterpoint, so it's not always apparent.
True, I was thinking more of songs like Panurge.  But even so, yes, there is a lot more repetition of the melody. The melody itself is often very complicated though. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 23:33

It's not that those cuts weren't quite memorable as pieces of music, it's that they were entirely forgettable as well-edited, professional songs that are of high quality and at the same time digestible.   I think of anyone from Joni Mitchell to the Police to Black Sabbath.

Confused
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 06:07
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

For example, the song "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers; popular song, gets played on the radio all the time. Imagine if the vocal part on the verses was played on an instrument... It would be one note over and over again. There's no really shape to it; it's all a flat line.

Not sure if ruined the band or augmented it but I am laughing my head off at your example and applying it to other Killers songs.
Genesis melodies were more stretched at the start and became more condensed as they got poppies.
We don't talk about the album produced by the grubby convict, but even that album had powerful Gabriel melodies.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 06:53
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I think the question worth exploring though is whether Gabriel somewhere constrained Banks from writing as memorable a melody as he could have in his own right.  Because there is a marked difference in the approach to writing melody once Gabriel gets out of the way.

I think if you watch all the interviews with the band on the making of all the albums--I have numerous times--
seems Banks was always a huge force in the band---and Peter mostly put his foot down on the lyrical part of the music not the music melody per se---I mean the band acts like they wrote all the music and Peter just came in and wrote his lyrics all over it.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 07:46

Your friend is right.  Of course technically, any notes stung together in a normally pleasing and musical way is a melody, but I think he means Gabriel's vocal complements (not to mention his lyrics) are far too complex and experimental to be easily recalled, sung, understood or immediately appreciated by most people and many musicians too.   Gabriel's later solo work is much more 'melodic' in that way.   Neither approach is better--  one could say Genesis' progressive era was compositionally superior, but artistically any of Paul Simon's work is just as good as any of Peter Gabriel's.

I think the best way to describe "melody" was that if you could whistle it, that (usually) was the melody of the piece of music.

However, in the 20th century, a lot of music went around and around such a way as to make the "melody" difficult to find, and rock music, in its simplicity, still lives by melody way too much, making most of the music formulaic and repetitive, if not boring. As a further example, take a look at a lot of jazz, where a "melody" might be there but is very hard to bring out by itself. Some folks even said that the only melody in Miles was when he opened his mouth, which is strange, but those are the bits that we remember him by!

BTW, I would hardly even come close to mentioning GENESIS as a good example of ... far too commercial with a jingle on the side (so to speak) to make it look like it was better composed than it really was. There is, way better composed material out there than GENESIS was able EVER to come up with!

Try Gentle Giant instead and stop thinking about "melody". Just close your eyes and listen!

Edited by moshkito - April 27 2019 at 07:48
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>