Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Bands With Violin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: There are many great ones. Another silly impossible poll. Pick favs.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [3.38%]
10 [6.76%]
20 [13.51%]
43 [29.05%]
31 [20.95%]
14 [9.46%]
25 [16.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scruffydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Bands With Violin
    Posted: November 03 2019 at 12:51
PFM.

But if it's Curved Air related then Darryl Way's Wolf is a good option and often forgotten about.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 06:02
Gentle Giant with brother Ray Shulman is quite tallanted violinist
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 04:59
giving it to the other.. ELO.. and especially to Wilf Gibson.. the Keith Emerson of prog violin.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
HarryAngel746 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryAngel746 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 03:54
Of these bands, I think I'm the closest to Mahavishnu.

With others I will mention the wonderful early English band East of Eden.
The music is wonderfully rude and the violin of Dave Arbus has a very rustic character.
I mean mainly the first 2 albums, the hit "Jig-a-Jig" and the more polished 3 album.
The first album definitely opens the door to the past, forgotten times.
Waterways
Bathers

An additional curiosity is the American band Streetdancer, whose 1976 album Rising is a cool (maybe not so heavy) trip towards the Mahavishnu style, but with a large dose of originality (e.g. oriental elements).
Violin may not dominate, but it's a coherent element of the whole and show off when needed.
Rising 1976
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 19:02
Dregs

Yeeeeeee haw!
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 23:07
Curved Air, not that they're any better than the other bands named, but because the violin is so fundamental to their style of music.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 18:42
Not impossible for me to choose:  Curved Air.  I didn't vote again so as not to dilute my vote for them.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 07:38
Il Castello Di Atlante
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 07:11
I'm going with Bent Knee. I've been really enjoying their music lately.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 07:04
Voted Jerry Goodman and Jean-Luc Ponty but would've had to think harder if you'd have included ASTURIAS, BELIEVE, and, especially, KBB. Akihisa Tsuboy is AMAZING!!!!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 06:53
I chose Curved Air even before I saw who was included in the poll. Smile
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 09:39
Not much of a Kansas fan. David Cross is excellent but I'm going with Jerry Goodman of Mahavishnu Orchestra. Awesome violin work!
Songs cast a light on you
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 09:27
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

It's difficult to argue against anything Jean-Luc Ponty contributed to (as good as Jerry Goodman, Mark O'Connor, Eddie Jobson, and Geoff Richardson were). The award winning fiddler cut his teeth going toe-to-toe with Stéphane Grappelli!

Stephane Grappelli actually passed his violin on to Jean-Luc Ponty, who in turn passed it on to Didier Lockwood.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 09:24
It's difficult to argue against anything Jean-Luc Ponty contributed to (as good as Jerry Goodman, Mark O'Connor, Eddie Jobson, and Geoff Richardson were). The award winning fiddler cut his teeth going toe-to-toe with Stéphane Grappelli!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2019 at 15:59
Never listened to 
Bent Knee and Dixie Dregs.

Mahavisnu ok, they are great but… I need time to listen better…

UK: good albums but they are not the early and genuine prog… they sound like already listened…

Kansas? I know only some songs by them but, in my opinion, they are not at the same level of the other bands in this poll. I cant say that Kansas is a great band. Good, ok, but not great. I cant compare Kansas with King Crismon….

So, I voted for Kc and Curved Air.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 12:57
Crimson...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 11:02
Conventum
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 08:30
This is a good one, several fine options here, I went with the Dregs. 

Edited by Argo2112 - May 06 2019 at 08:31
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 08:06
Quella Vecchia Locanda
Asturias
Kansas
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 07:08
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Could have voted for everybody but if it's violin that stands out, love the playing of Darryl Way in Curved Air.

NP: VIVALDI ... with Cannons! (of course!) ... both versions!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>