Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl Verdict

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 01:52
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Records On Wheels in Dundas, Ontario... the dude is a total proghead as well.
I don't get that way as often but I'll keep it in mind. There must be other Records on Wheels around. I remember there was one in Masonville Mall in London.

I don't know how many RoW are left, but I knew of 5  back in the 70's (two of them on Yonge), and they varied a lot from one to the other... the one next to Sam The Record was rather  OK, because of the direct vicity of Sam and Vinyl Museum, but the one closer to Bloor St was really very very very very average.

The best one by a mile, IMHO,  was the one in Mississauga (on Dundas Street, if you can believe LOL), where the owner looked like Roger Earl (of Foghat & Savoy Brown fame).... The guy always had time for me, and I never came home with a an album I didn't love. If he had the time, he would let me listen to it with headphones. I doubt it survived all these years, though.

You might also want to check out Bert's Vortex records (provided he hasn't retired by now): it's probably still  on Yonge & Eglinton (when I used to frequent the shop, it was close to Jarvis & College). Bert wasn't a proghead at all, but knew what albums were best of almost every band. Cool dude, and I went to him to sell most of my collection went I crossed back the pond in 91, because the man was fair)
Best second hand record shop back in the 70's & 80's (and not IMHOBig smile LOL)
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 06:37
Since 2016 I started collecting records and recently got Alan Parsons Project first 3 albums on vinyls as it stands and Steve Hacketts - Voyage of the Acolyte , slowly building up the collection 
CYMRU AM BYTH
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 06:40
Few vinyls I have come across have got some dirt on them and light scratches which havent been issue much but are Wet wipes safe to use on vinyl ? 
CYMRU AM BYTH
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 10:57
Originally posted by PROGMAN PROGMAN wrote:

Few vinyls I have come across have got some dirt on them and light scratches which havent been issue much but are Wet wipes safe to use on vinyl ? 
Iso propyl alcohol diluted with distilled water is better...baby wipes, etc.  can leave residue.
Unless u can find wipes with no oils or perfumes in them.

Edited by dr wu23 - May 16 2019 at 11:05
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 00:23

Do not use wet wipes.......Get a gallon of distilled water and mix in a few drops dish liquid, non fragrant. Get a couple spray bottles, one with the mix and one with just distilled water for the final rinse. You can use a microfibre towel to scrub the record and another one to dry it.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 16:22
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I lived in the Whitby area for 3 years and had a hard time finding a great place that was consistent with records near mint condition having been spoiled by some of the shops around the Denver/Fort Collins area where I lived before.  I seemed to have the best luck hitting the flea markets in the Whitby/Oshawa area, but I had a hard time finding one that was consistent, and ended up just hitting them all.  I now live near Chatham and the best thing I have found is trading/selling with other collectors in the area.  There is a good antique/flea market store on the east side of Stratford where I've been able to get some great stuff from time to time, like King Crimson, Zappa, Nirvana and some punk bands, but they can be pricey at times.  Anyway, if you find anything, let me know and I'll do the same, otherwise I hope you have better luck than I have.

Oh, oh...tell me more! Stratford? I just started a managemant job at a plant in Palmerston that has a second plant in Stratford. I oversee groups at both facilities so I dither back and forth. I was there today and visited a place called
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 16:24
Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

Another great record store that may be closer to you if you are coming from London or Guelph is Encore Records in Kitchener. The owner is also a huge fan of prog (he even brought the Acoustic Strawbs to Kitchener way back - resulting in the Full Bloom live recording). I only get there roughly once/year, but it seems a number of prog fans get together there on many Saturday afternoons to chat. 

Looney Tunes record store in Burlington is also good - last time I was in (in a different location) the place was a bit of a mess but the owner is really knowledgeable and a prog fan, and the store has lots of great rare music.

And of course there are tons of vinyl places in Toronto now too
Nice, Kitchener isn't bad, 45 minutes. I don't get to Burlington ever really. I definitely need to head to TO.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 16:26
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I don't get that way as often but I'll keep it in mind. There must be other Records on Wheels around. I remember there was one in Masonville Mall in London. There's a Sunrise Records at Stone Road Mall in Guelph, but aren't these chains mostly 'current' pressings usually 180g stuff that's been remastered or remixed?
Some records badly needed a remix, think original Genesis pressings of SEBTP. There are versions, depending who mastered it, that are muddy sounding. My original press is that way, the 2008 Nick Davis remix versions are brilliant, plus he did them as 1/2 speed mastered......Again, check them on Discogs and also Steve Hoffman Forums, those guys there REALLY know their vinyl and which issues sound best, regardless if new/reissue or original version.
I am one that is fine with new issues, especially when a VG+ version of an original is difficult to find or is priced super high.......Try finding a VG+ version of LZ I/II/III/IV and not pay less than $30, new is about the same. Rush Moving Pictures mastered by Bob Ludwig (RL in the deadwax) is also pricey, AC/DC BIB is the same, RL stamped is tough to find at a reasonable price.

This is why I love digging thru bins.........I found CAN~Soundtracks mint condition, original press UA label with the film strip cover version, paid $18.......you can see here what it's Discogs value is. I nabbed it and quickly ran to the counter and paid for it, then ran home!! I have seen it for $130 online...

Funny you mention SEBTP, I found one of the remix vinyls in Guelph and had my sweetie buy it for my birthday. 9 more days till I get to hear it !
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 16:33

I don't get that way as often but I'll keep it in mind. There must be other Records on Wheels around. I remember there was one in Masonville Mall in London. There's a Sunrise Records at Stone Road Mall in Guelph, but aren't these chains mostly 'current' pressings usually 180g stuff that's been remastered or remixed?
Some records badly needed a remix, think original Genesis pressings of SEBTP. There are versions, depending who mastered it, that are muddy sounding. My original press is that way, the 2008 Nick Davis remix versions are brilliant, plus he did them as 1/2 speed mastered......Again, check them on Discogs and also Steve Hoffman Forums, those guys there REALLY know their vinyl and which issues sound best, regardless if new/reissue or original version.
I am one that is fine with new issues, especially when a VG+ version of an original is difficult to find or is priced super high.......Try finding a VG+ version of LZ I/II/III/IV and not pay less than $30, new is about the same. Rush Moving Pictures mastered by Bob Ludwig (RL in the deadwax) is also pricey, AC/DC BIB is the same, RL stamped is tough to find at a reasonable price.

This is why I love digging thru bins.........I found CAN~Soundtracks mint condition, original press UA label with the film strip cover version, paid $18.......you can see here what it's Discogs value is. I nabbed it and quickly ran to the counter and paid for it, then ran home!! I have seen it for $130 online...

Oh, and now that I read the whole post...I have LZ III with the wheelie thing on the cover, mint condition as well as IV, HOTH, Physical Graffiti,Presence and ITTOD...all mint ++ and gatefold covers. Just to name a few of the gems.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 16:36

I don't get that way as often but I'll keep it in mind. There must be other Records on Wheels around. I remember there was one in Masonville Mall in London.

I don't know how many RoW are left, but I knew of 5  back in the 70's (two of them on Yonge), and they varied a lot from one to the other... the one next to Sam The Record was rather  OK, because of the direct vicity of Sam and Vinyl Museum, but the one closer to Bloor St was really very very very very average.

The best one by a mile, IMHO,  was the one in Mississauga (on Dundas Street, if you can believe LOL), where the owner looked like Roger Earl (of Foghat & Savoy Brown fame).... The guy always had time for me, and I never came home with a an album I didn't love. If he had the time, he would let me listen to it with headphones. I doubt it survived all these years, though.

You might also want to check out Bert's Vortex records (provided he hasn't retired by now): it's probably still  on Yonge & Eglinton (when I used to frequent the shop, it was close to Jarvis & College). Bert wasn't a proghead at all, but knew what albums were best of almost every band. Cool dude, and I went to him to sell most of my collection went I crossed back the pond in 91, because the man was fair)
Best second hand record shop back in the 70's & 80's (and not IMHOBig smile LOL)
Noted, I'll investigate further...or for our American viewers...farther LOL
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 16:36

Since 2016 I started collecting records and recently got Alan Parsons Project first 3 albums on vinyls as it stands and Steve Hacketts - Voyage of the Acolyte , slowly building up the collection 
Excellent beginnings...Keep goin' !
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 16:42

NO !!!!! Get a small soft sponge and use warm very lightly soapy water. squeeze out most of the liquid from the sponge and then proceed to wipe with a vigorous circular motion Hitherto unknown to the people in this area but destined to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology, here we go...rub it !!!!

Oh, and then rinse off under a light running tap of fresh cool water and dry with a lint free cloth.
That's the best / safest way that I know of.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 16:45
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Iso propyl alcohol diluted with distilled water is better...baby wipes, etc.  can leave residue.
Unless u can find wipes with no oils or perfumes in them.
While IPA evaporates away I think repeated or extended use will compromise the integrity of the vinyl. Any materials engineers out there want to chime in?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 16:46

Do not use wet wipes.......Get a gallon of distilled water and mix in a few drops dish liquid, non fragrant. Get a couple spray bottles, one with the mix and one with just distilled water for the final rinse. You can use a microfibre towel to scrub the record and another one to dry it.
Man...I should have read ahead...what he said.Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12