FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZappa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zappa
    Posted: July 16 2004 at 23:30

I would like to know where to start.  I am at a library borrowing FREAK OUT but after reading some reviews here, figure it isn't perhaps the best Frank Zappa introduction.

Unfortunately there is no HOT RATS or WE'RE IN IT FOR THE MONEY here.  Should I take FREAK OUT with me, or don't bother?

Which is the most 'progressive' sounding of all his albums?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Spanky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2004 at 23:51
Where is Joren when you need him?
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 00:54

Moonchild:

Hi.  I am not the Zappa maven that Joren is, but I think I can be helpful here.

Zappa actually had quite a few "periods," so there is not really one album that is "representative" or a perfect introduction.  By all means, get Freak Out, since it is his first album, and it cannot hurt to see where he started.

The other albums (in chronological order) that I recommend are: We're Only It For the Money, Hot Rats, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, 200 Motels (a rock opera of sorts), Just Another Band from L.A., Overnight Sensation, Apostrophe (my personal favorite), and One Size Fits All.  Those are in his "early," "second" and "third" periods.  His "fourth" period arguably begins with "Zoot Allures."

I'm sure that Joren will "weigh in" as soon as he gets the chance.

Happy listening!

Peace.

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 11:47

May I add a couple of titles to Maani's suggestion: Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo. Once you've digged Hot Rats or Overnite Sensation or One Size Fits All, W/J and TGW (my all time Zapa two faves) are the essential Zapa numbers.

Regards.

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 12:02
IMAO "Freak Out" is a great way to get started on the original Zappa sound; the first thing I ever heard of his was "Sheik Yerbouti" back when it was new, and the first album I bought after that one was "200 Motels". Those three alone give you a pretty good representation of Frank's development. It's hard not to love "Joe's Garage" too.
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 16:57
Originally posted by Moonchild74 Moonchild74 wrote:

I would like to know where to start.  I am at a library borrowing FREAK OUT but after reading some reviews here, figure it isn't perhaps the best Frank Zappa introduction.

Unfortunately there is no HOT RATS or WE'RE IN IT FOR THE MONEY here.  Should I take FREAK OUT with me, or don't bother?

Which is the most 'progressive' sounding of all his albums?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

I agree with maani that "We're Only It For The Money", "Hot Rats" and "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" are REALLY FANTASTIC ZAPPA records, but they might scare you if you are unfamiliar with his work, because they are REALLY WEIRD. If you think you can handle it, go ahead!

IMO, "Freak Out" is a little bit of an amateuristic and primitive album for Zappa standards. It's more FUN than REAL GOOD STUFF. But it was my first Zappa album and it got me interested in his music, so maybe it'll work for you too.

But here's the advice I give in the bottom lines of the biography I wrote for the ProgArchives (you can find it in its original context on http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=1023):

Here’s a small list of ZAPPA-records I recommend. They’re all must-haves, and some of them may be a good starting point for people who are unfamiliar with his work. Firstly, all of his albums with the early MOTHERS (except for “Cruising With Ruben & The Jets”) are very good. I think the best ones are “We’re Only In It For The Money”, “Uncle Meat” and “Weasels Ripped My Flesh”. “Freak Out!” is less interesting, but it does have great historical value, for it was, in my opinion, the first progressive rock record ever. Zappa’s second solo-album “Hot Rats” contains some great instrumental (except for CAPTAIN BEEFHEART’s vocals on “Willie The Pimp”) jazzrock. “Hot Rats” is definitily among his best albums. But, if you are unfamiliar with ZAPPA’s work, the albums of THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION and ZAPPA’s solo-albums from the sixties may scare you off. If you’d like some more accessible music, you could start with “Over-Nite Sensation”, “Apostrophe (')” or “One Size Fits All”. They’re all great jazzy bluesrock records. ZAPPA’s most poppy record was the controversial “Sheik Yerbouti” though. It contains many accessible ZAPPA-classics, with very funny lyrics. You could also start with a compilation. “Strictly Commercial”, “Have I Offended Someone?”, “Cheap Thrills” and “Son Of Cheep Thrills” are all decent compilations, that give you a nice insight in what diverse kinds of music Frank ZAPPA made.

In short , good starting points, IMO:

1.  WEIRD AND THE MOST PROGRESSIVE (EARLY MOTHERS AND SOLO): "We're Only In It For The Money", "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" "Hot Rats" (The latter being very different from the others. Very jazzy, instrumental, a lot of improvisation)
2.  JAZZY PERIOD, MORE ACCESSIBLE: "Over-Nite Sensation", "Apostrophe (`)"
3.  POPPY PERIOD, MOST ACCESSIBLE: "Sheik Yerbouti", "You Are What You Is"
4.  DECENT, CHEAP COMPILATIONS (COVER ALMOST ENTIRE CAREER): "Cheap Thrills", "Son Of Cheep Thrills"

I hope this was helpful to you.  Have fun discovering Zappa's Universe!

(discography and all lyrics can be found at this website: http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/albums/)

Edited by Joren
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 17:23
I love "Joe's Garage" myself. 'Can't say why, it may be nostalgia as it came into my life at one of its happiest periods, or it might just be a great album.
Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 17:34

"We're Only In It For The Money" is my absolute favourite Zappa album - but a close second (for me) is "Ship Arriving Too Late to Save A Drowning Witch". It's much more like hard/heavy rock in overall texture, and features "Valley Girl", Frank's only top 10 hit. OK, it might not have been top 10 in your country, but it was a single nevertheless... it's also got Steve Vai on it, which fact makes it worth the money by itself.

Raelrules View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 17:42

Just about all and anything , but in terms of accesibility probably Joes garage I and II, you are what you is, Tinseltown rebellion is for you, If you're into some more jazzy type of stuff hit waka Jawaka, hot rats, the grand wazoo, if jazz rock is your deal try one size fits all, apostrophe and overnight sensation, if you're into social critique anything after mothers of prevention (who am trying kid anyhting before mothers of prevention also) Whatever, its all grand, and whatsmore easily available through any e-mail outlet. Lucky you if you're just beginnning to get into the poodle freak.

Cheers Rael

emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 17:46
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

"We're Only In It For The Money" is my absolute favourite Zappa album - but a close second (for me) is "Ship Arriving Too Late to Save A Drowning Witch". It's much more like hard/heavy rock in overall texture, and features "Valley Girl", Frank's only top 10 hit. OK, it might not have been top 10 in your country, but it was a single nevertheless... it's also got Steve Vai on it, which fact makes it worth the money by itself.

I was just thinking about SATLTSADW. VG is a classic, and your mention of Vai reminds me, "Us and Them"is a great double!

Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2004 at 15:19
Originally posted by Raelrules Raelrules wrote:

Just about all and anything , but in terms of accesibility probably Joes garage I and II, you are what you is, Tinseltown rebellion is for you, If you're into some more jazzy type of stuff hit waka Jawaka, hot rats, the grand wazoo, if jazz rock is your deal try one size fits all, apostrophe and overnight sensation, if you're into social critique anything after mothers of prevention (who am trying kid anyhting before mothers of prevention also) Whatever, its all grand, and whatsmore easily available through any e-mail outlet. Lucky you if you're just beginnning to get into the poodle freak.

Cheers Rael

"The poodle freak"

("Arf" she said)

Post Reply Post Reply