Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A selection of albums from 1969

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which of these do you enjoy the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [9.43%]
2 [3.77%]
1 [1.89%]
2 [3.77%]
2 [3.77%]
4 [7.55%]
2 [3.77%]
1 [1.89%]
3 [5.66%]
3 [5.66%]
2 [3.77%]
1 [1.89%]
15 [28.30%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.77%]
7 [13.21%]
1 [1.89%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A selection of albums from 1969
    Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:32
This is a selection of albums from 1969 with psychedelic qualities, please choose a favourite. Feel free to vote even if you know little from the list.

Edited by Logan - May 20 2019 at 08:36
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:38
High Tide - Sea Shanties

Edited by Cristi - May 20 2019 at 08:47
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:39
For me, it's a tie between Ummagumma, The Soft Machine's Volume 2, and It's a Beautiful Day. There are a few I don't know, but others in this list, like Monster Movie, Songs of Experience, An Electric Storm etc, are quite good.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:42
Soft Machine with no doubt about that.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:43
lots of albums that I consider to be great in this list: Can, Amon Düül 2, High Tide, Arzachel, Kevin Ayers, It's a Beautiful Day, East of Eden, Quintessence, Family, Pink Floyd, Soft Machine. very hard to choose

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:48
Abbey Road LOL
I can't choose. Too many greats.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 09:38
From the list : High Tide "Sea Shantesi"

My List :

Jethro Tull - Stand Up
King Crimson -  In The Court Of The Crimson King
Frank Zappa - Rot Rats
The Moody Blues - To Our Children's Children

Edited by maryes - May 20 2019 at 09:39
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:14
I like maryes list.....
but from the one above I have several I like equally...
Soft Machine, Arzachel, Kevin Ayres, Floyd, etc...
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:20
While Soft Machine Vol. 2 clearly has to get my vote, I really regret not being able to vote for the Kevin Ayers.  The Tim Buckley, East of Eden, Family, It's a Beautiful Day, Os Mutantes & Catherine Ribeiro are also all worthy choices that I might have voted for absent the Soft Machine or Kevin Ayers.  Actually, my vote for the best album of 1969 would go to Happy Trails by Quicksilver Messenger Service, but that's not an option here.  Nor is Aoxomoxoa by The Grateful Dead, which would have been my runner up, but only in the original 1969 mix and not the catastrophic 1971 remix that Garcia and Lesh did.  I'm hoping that the 50th Anniversary CD of Aoxomoxoa includes the original mix, the way the 50th Anniv. of Anthem of the Sun did.  Somehow, I've never heard the Tea and Symphony, and I suspect that would be really keen.  Another Harvest release, right?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:27
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

While Soft Machine Vol. 2 clearly has to get my vote, I really regret not being able to vote for the Kevin Ayers.  The Tim Buckley, East of Eden, Family, It's a Beautiful Day, Os Mutantes & Catherine Ribeiro are also all worthy choices that I might have voted for absent the Soft Machine or Kevin Ayers.  Actually, my vote for the best album of 1969 would go to Happy Trails by Quicksilver Messenger Service, but that's not an option here.  Nor is Aoxomoxoa by The Grateful Dead, which would have been my runner up, but only in the original 1969 mix and not the catastrophic 1971 remix that Garcia and Lesh did.  I'm hoping that the 50th Anniversary CD of Aoxomoxoa includes the original mix, the way the 50th Anniv. of Anthem of the Sun did.  Somehow, I've never heard the Tea and Symphony, and I suspect that would be really keen.  Another Harvest release, right?

I like your  choices on Quicksilver and The Dead's Aoxomoxoa....2 of my all time favorite west coast albums....not sure they are 'better' than the ones on Logan's list but they are certainly worthy of inclusion.
Thumbs Up
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:28
I like Maryes list too, though I didn't consider the Jethro Tull or Hot Rats psych enough for my list. And much as I love King Crimson, to me that album gets more than enough attention. I don't actually own that particular Moody Blues album (something I probably should rectify).

While I couldn't really choose a favourite off this list as I love most of them, and like all of them, I gave Catherine Ribeiro + 2Bis a vote (it's sure to be an underdog here and I love that album).

One that I thought of but decided to leave off is The Aerosol Grey Machine (I did another poll with that option not that long ago anyway). EDIT: As for Quicksilver, I did consider it as I love 60s psych, but opted to only choose ones in PA, (Quicksilver was included in a psych poll I did some time ago).

Edited by Logan - May 20 2019 at 11:32
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:47
I think Tull, Zappa , and others get plenty of attention on other posts...your list included some obscure ones that people should ck out.
I actually have several of those on original vinyl and about 8 more on cd....some I don't own and several I have never heard of like ....C Ribeiro, Axlerod , and Writing on the wall...
Haquin
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:53
From the list, definitely Soft Machine Vol 2.  Off list, VDGG - Aerosol Grey Machine Wink
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:59
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

From the list, definitely Soft Machine Vol 2.  Off list, VDGG - Aerosol Grey Machine Wink

or "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:03
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

or "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other"

I'd agree, and rank "The Least..." higher than "Aerosol..." but I believe "The Least..." was released in '70 Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:03
Well, now I'm regretting my decision to leave The Aerosol Grey Machine off the list. Originally I was going to try to keep this to ten choices, but since I went longer (felt unable to limit myself to just ten), there was no good reason not to use all of the available options. After 13 years of making polls, I still am rarely satisfied with how they turn out -- sometimes because of what I forget, sometimes because of what I decide to leave out, and sometimes because of what I choose to include.

EDIT: The Lest We Can Do is Wave to Each Other is my favourite VdGG album and was released in February 1970 on Charisma Records. Despite it being released in the wrong year, stylistically I don't think it would fit as well with other choices as The Aerosol Grey Machine.

Edited by Logan - May 20 2019 at 12:08
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:17
how about Amon Düül - Psychedelic Underground? not the best of albums, but historically extremely significant because it was the first Krautrock album

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:25

how about Amon Düül - Psychedelic Underground? not the best of albums, but historically extremely significant because it was the first Krautrock album

Heard it, but don't own the album. It would fit well in this list.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:47

...and quite a disaster in musical terms! Phallus Dei is so much better!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:48
1969 was an explosive year ov fun stuff to discover for those who were there (or for me years later). Can't choose one gem over a dozen other I'm equally fond of:

I like these quite a lot as well:
Music Emporium - Music Emporium
Mutantes - Mutantes
Plus - The Seven Deadly Sins
C.A. Quintet - Trip Thru Hell
Pugh Rogefeldt - Ja, dä ä dä
Saint Steven - Over the Hills
Morgen - Morgen
Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream

Now the uneven Changing Horses might not be an ISB album highlight, but the freak-end epic Creation is as incredible as they promise to be and up there with the best hippiestuff ever created:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>