Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lesser Known Albums from Popular Progressive Bands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lesser Known Albums from Popular Progressive Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which one of these lesser known albums is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.59%]
19 [30.16%]
11 [17.46%]
15 [23.81%]
17 [26.98%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lesser Known Albums from Popular Progressive Bands
    Posted: May 20 2019 at 18:58
Which one of these lesser known albums is your favorite from these bands that were on the cusp of becoming superstars?  These bands were just chosen at random and I wanted to keep the list short.  I am sure there are many others out there that would qualify for this list and maybe they can be added to a later poll sometime. 
My vote is for Blue Oyster Cult's "Secret Treaties"

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 20:11
Secret Treaties narrowly edges out Masque.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 20:15
hard pass on all, but I guess Kansas if forced to choose. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 20:15
UH
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 20:41
Kansas-Masque is a superb album and gets my vote.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 22:44
Deep Purple - I love “Shield”.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 23:41
The Book of Taleisyn is too easily overlooked and got my vote. It has some truly great songs on it.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 00:35
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

This!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 01:03
Masque is an interesting one as it doesn't really have too much obvious stand out material for me. Even Icarus is not particularly amazing to my ears. I do love the first 2 Kansas albums and of course Point of Know Return and Leftoverture have the show stopping tunes that made Kansas so popular for a while. All that said I voted for Masque because it does have something I'm just not sure what that thing is.

The only other contender for me is Salisbury. Uriah Heep is a band I can enjoy up to a point and that is probably their best album. Actually I'm not convinced that is really fits the poll description.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 04:22
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

This!

This
Shake & bake.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 05:24
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

This!

This

and this . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 07:03
I'm undecided between Uriah Heep and BOC. Curretnly I have both the albums in my smartphone.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 07:06
The Book of Taliesyn is a great album. I really like Supertramp but their second album never did much for me. Masque is very enjoyable and I only heard the other two once or twice.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 08:47
Masque!!!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 09:06
While it's true the Supertramp album was a bit rough, it did show that Davies hit the true spirit of Supertramp before Hodgson did.  Too bad it doesn't get any love, but I sort of understand that.

Kansas' Masque was an underloved album, and though it was more blues based, it did have some keepers on it.

Deep Purple's Book of Taliesyn is more of a sentimental favorite for me, and I love the psychedelic aspects of it, but it has a few issues.

I put Uriah Heep's Solisbury on the list because it was released before their most successful albums and tends to get overlooked.

Blue Oyster Cult's Secret Treaties is my personal favorite from the list because they seemed to show the most movement to progressive music on this album and they really sounded like no one else out there at the time.  Their lyrics were original and strange, the music was quirky, and they proved you could have dark and evil music while also being melodic and innovative at the same time, not really trying to sound like Black Sabbath, but still influencing the heavy metal genre in a big way.  This was one of their most  progressive albums, yet it didn't always get the attention it deserved.

Thanks to everyone for your comments!

Edited by TCat - May 21 2019 at 09:08

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 09:17
I call that Supertramp album "the Boobed One"
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 10:03
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I call that Supertramp album "the Boobed One"

Yes.  It was kind of a surprise when I first ran across that one the first time.  I had to look at the title several times to make sure someone didn't file that album under the wrong artist when I first seen that cover. 

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 11:10
I like the Kansas and Heep lp's but went with BOC...Secret Treaties is an awesome lp.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 16:18
Not a big Kansas fan but Masque is a good album
PROGMATIC
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 16:44
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

My vote is for Blue Oyster Cult's "Secret Treaties"
Sure its pre-Reaper which got them airplay back in the day. But in 2019 its their most popular album among fans and the only album of their to feature on any "best ever albums list". Its also (quite comfortably) their most and highest rated album on both PA and RYM.

-And also my favorite
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>