Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lesser Known Albums from Popular Progressive Bands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lesser Known Albums from Popular Progressive Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which one of these lesser known albums is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.59%]
19 [30.16%]
11 [17.46%]
15 [23.81%]
17 [26.98%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 03:29
Uriah Heep - Solisbury followed by Kansas
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 04:20
Taliesin for me....
But it would've be fairer to include Supertramp's debut instead of that awful sophomore album
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 07:24
Masque by Kansas because of a few outstanding tracks but in all honesty Song For America, the album before was probably stronger. 

Edited by Enchant X - May 22 2019 at 18:56
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 07:51
Masque 

then

Secret Treaties
Prog On!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 08:07
I am not certain this one is least known, but it is certainly least liked:

A VdGG album without singing? You must be kidding!

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 12:09
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Taliesin for me....
But it would've be fairer to include Supertramp's debut instead of that awful sophomore album

The debut is my favourite Supertramp album. They might have called the dubious follow-up album Boobiously Stamped.

Secret Treaties a little over Salisbury for me -- genuinely not sure If UH had another album called Solisbury as I see several posts confirming the spelling in the poll, if that's an alternate spelling of the same album, perhaps the US version as they have changed English spellings in the past, or if it's just a repeated typo/ error.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 12:33
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I am not certain this one is least known, but it is certainly least liked:

A VdGG album without singing? You must be kidding!

Not sure why they released that one...can't say I disliked it but let's be honest, unlike King Crimson's Projekcts, nothing exciting or really interesting on these rehearsals.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 13:00
^ That VdGG album doesn't fit the topic/poll criteria anyway "Which one of these lesser known albums is your favorite from these bands that were on the cusp of becoming superstars?"

VdGG was well past its prime when that came out, and I don't know if VdGG ever became superstars. One that I might have thought possibly could make this poll is Pink Floyd's Obscured by Clouds. I think Dark Side of the Moon was the major break-out success, and Obscured by Clouds remains a lesser-known Pink Floyd work. That said, as it was a soundtrack, I'm not sure how well it fits. Otherwise one might say Meddle, but it's still well known while being lesser known than Dark Side of the Moon.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 13:38
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Taliesin for me....

The debut is my favourite Supertramp album. They might have called the dubious follow-up album Boobiously Stamped.

Secret Treaties a little over Salisbury for me -- genuinely not sure If UH had another album called Solisbury as I see several posts confirming the spelling in the poll, if that's an alternate spelling of the same album, perhaps the US version as they have changed English spellings in the past, or if it's just a repeated typo/ error.

My bad.  It is Salisbury.  My contacts were giving me fits when I posted this.  Please forgive me.Ouch

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 13:45

^ That VdGG album doesn't fit the topic/poll criteria anyway "Which one of these lesser known albums is your favorite from these bands that were on the cusp of becoming superstars?"

VdGG was well past its prime when that came out, and I don't know if VdGG ever became superstars. One that I might have thought possibly could make this poll is Pink Floyd's Obscured by Clouds. I think Dark Side of the Moon was the major break-out success, and Obscured by Clouds remains a lesser-known Pink Floyd work. That said, as it was a soundtrack, I'm not sure how well it fits. Otherwise one might say Meddle, but it's still well known while being lesser known than Dark Side of the Moon.

I actually considered putting Obscured By Clouds on the poll, but then I decided to keep it down to 5 choices and maybe use that on another poll.  There were several others that could have also been added. 

The reason I was interested in Supertramp's "Indelibly Stamped" is because I was surprised when I first heard it how Davies found his trademark sound before Hodgson did and was curious what other people's take was on this strange album.  Hard to believe they went from that album to the masterpiece "Crime of the Century".  That is another thing that amazes, the difference from one album to the other.  Anyway, chalk up the debut album as being on a future poll too.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 14:05
^^ No worries about the spelling. I think I've referred to Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill as Salisbury Hill.

"Climbing up on Salisbury Hill
I could see the s*itty light...
My heart going bonk, bonk, bonk...."

^ If I had had this poll idea, I also would have chosen Indelibly Stamped from Supertramp. It fits best with "Which one of these lesser known albums is your favorite from these bands that were on the cusp of becoming superstars?" Going from that to the Supertrampman album was a big leap.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 08:25

^^ No worries about the spelling. I think I've referred to Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill as Salisbury Hill.

"Climbing up on Salisbury Hill
I could see the s*itty light...
My heart going bonk, bonk, bonk...."

^ If I had had this poll idea, I also would have chosen Indelibly Stamped from Supertramp. It fits best with "Which one of these lesser known albums is your favorite from these bands that were on the cusp of becoming superstars?" Going from that to the Supertrampman album was a big leap.

It could have been worse for both of us.  We could have called it Salisbury Steak.

maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 08:47

Kansas "Masque" is my vote and Deep Purple "The Book of Taliesin" is  an honorary mention !!!

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 12:40
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Masque by Kansas because of a few outstanding tracks but in all honesty Song For America, the album before was probably stronger. 

Yes....great lp and right there at the top of Kansas for me....in fact the title track might be my favorite Kansas track.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2019 at 23:14
I read that the record company dumped loads of pressure on Kansas for a hit song and that is why masque has a couple of corny songs on it trying for a hit single. Kansas  got the prog sounding songs down perfect on that album though, songs like 'the pinnacle' or ' Icarus Born on wings of steel' are Kansas at their finest and prog experiments like the song 'all the world' are why I`m attracted to prog in the first place.

Edited by Enchant X - May 27 2019 at 07:37
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 04:31
I don't know about you guys, but for me "Salisbury" trumps other UH albums. It's at least a league or two better than "Book of Taliesyn", for example.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 13:48
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

I read that the record company dumped loads of pressure on Kansas for a hit song and that is why masque has a couple of corny songs on it trying for a hit single. Kansas  got the prog sounding songs down perfect on that album though, songs like 'the pinnacle' or ' Icarus Born on wings of steel' are Kansas at their finest and prog experiments like the song 'all the world' are why I`m attracted to prog in the first place.

I meant that Song For America is my favorite Kansas....sorry.
But I like all of those early Kansas lp's.

Embarrassed
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 13:50
Taliesyn has an interesting cute cover..but musically not very strong at all.
I picked up an original vg+ vinyl of it the other day for about $7 US.
Haquin
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 15:00
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

My vote is for Blue Oyster Cult's "Secret Treaties"
Sure its pre-Reaper which got them airplay back in the day. But in 2019 its their most popular album among fans and the only album of their to feature on any "best ever albums list". Its also (quite comfortably) their most and highest rated album on both PA and RYM.

-And also my favorite

I also voted for Secret Treaties, though I must say I slightly prefer their debut album tbh
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 15:21
Originally posted by Erenan Erenan wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

My vote is for Blue Oyster Cult's "Secret Treaties"
Sure its pre-Reaper which got them airplay back in the day. But in 2019 its their most popular album among fans and the only album of their to feature on any "best ever albums list". Its also (quite comfortably) their most and highest rated album on both PA and RYM.

-And also my favorite

I also voted for Secret Treaties, though I must say I slightly prefer their debut album tbh

That was my vote as well.  

But let's not forget the one in between, Tyranny and Mutation, which I think is as good as either. I may be a little influenced here though as that was the first one I picked up when I began exploring their pre-Reaper back catalog, and it's the one that made me realize there is a lot more to BOC than Reaper and Burnin' for You.

Edited by Fischman - June 13 2019 at 15:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>