Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome, Shawn Phillips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welcome, Shawn Phillips
    Posted: June 03 2019 at 12:17
Welcome to Shawn Phillips in prog-related category!

Here bio and discography.

I advice to everyone the albums between Contribution (1970) and Rumplestiltskin's Resolve (1976) and expecially Second Contribution.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - June 03 2019 at 12:18
"Happiness is real only when shared"
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 13:41
Second Contribution is an interesting album....though I never really 'got into him.'
But one wonders then why Al Stewart isn't here in the same category....? IMO Phillips is, at times,  not much more proggy than Stewart's early efforts .
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 14:06
Welcome to one of the great close but no cigar artists - both commercially and artistically I think. I've heard all his albums (and own a few) up to 1978*. There's plenty of great music and great singing on all of them... but unfortunately there's always weak songs and occasionally awful singing as well. There's always some progressive folky rock to be found on every album, so prog-related is perfectly fine by me. I personally don't think he waas particularly good at it and prefer his grand balladeering - or slower songs though. 

*and Trancendence might just be my favorite

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 17:40
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Welcome to one of the great close but no cigar artists - both commercially and artistically I think. I've heard all his albums (and own a few) up to 1978*. There's plenty of great music and great singing on all of them... but unfortunately there's always weak songs and occasionally awful singing as well. There's always some progressive folky rock to be found on every album, so prog-related is perfectly fine by me. I personally don't think he waas particularly good at it and prefer his grand balladeering - or slower songs though. 

Meh. I found him to be very dull in the 70s. I guess listening to really incredible one man shows like Roy Harper spoiled it for me. 

Edited by The Dark Elf - June 03 2019 at 17:40
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 17:45
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Second Contribution is an interesting album....though I never really 'got into him.'
But one wonders then why Al Stewart isn't here in the same category....? IMO Phillips is, at times,  not much more proggy than Stewart's early efforts .

Both were suggested at the same time and the admin team considered both thoughtfully and ultimately decided that Al doesn't make the cut.  I'm not as familiar with Phillips even though I have known of him since 1974 and he got plenty of airplay back then in Montreal.  I certainly liked some of his stuff but never consistently enough to make me a fan.  Still, from what I have heard (and I"ve heard most of Al Stewart's output from the late 1960s and 1970s), I would say Phillips is indeed more prog related than Stewart.  I do consider myself a fan of Al Stewart.  Interestingly, I love best his most commercially successful albums

Edited by kenethlevine - June 03 2019 at 17:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 01:15
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Meh. I found him to be very dull in the 70s. I guess listening to really incredible one man shows like Roy Harper spoiled it for me. 
Compared to Roy Harper its not very exiting so I "agree". Shawn is neither lyrically or artistically in the same league. Seems like I enjoy him more still. Compared to hundreds of comparable 1970's singer/songwriter-guys/gals with guitar skills, a fine singing voice and artistic ambitions (I always check out music with covers signalising "could be an overlooked gem" like Richard Twice or Linda Perhacs) I think very few had bigger potential. Maybe a partner of sorts could have guided him so that what he had to offer was used more successfully/effectively. I don't know.

I'm always interested in locating stand out tunes on mediocre albums and from ten Shawn-titles I got about 25 songs I really like. None of them sound like the uncanny american Jethro Tull, but more like this

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 02:30

occasionally awful singing as well

Occasionally awful singing? Where?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 02:38
I strongly disagree with dark elf and saperlipopette.

Is Shawn Phillips dull? Really? His opera (expecially in the 70s) is dull?

I think, for example, the initial suite in Second Contribution (first 4 songs) reaches a peak (for immediacy, inspiration, pathos, arrangement, singing) a lot of prog band can only see from below.

Weakest songs are present in Phillips' albums, yes, but even in Selling England By The Pound. 

Edited by jamesbaldwin - June 04 2019 at 02:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 02:50
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

You may disagree all you like but I never wrote or meant that he was "dull". I just don't like any of his songs where the music resembles progrock. Not nessecarely because they bore me, but because so many did it better than him. I prefer his beautiful tunes and not his attempts to "rock".
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 05:12

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

You may disagree all you like but I never wrote or meant that he was "dull". I just don't like any of his songs where the music resembles progrock. Not nessecarely because they bore me, but because so many did it better than him. I prefer his beautiful tunes and not his attempts to "rock".
I understand every point of view. I am surprised to read "occasional awful singing" and "dull" (written by dark elf). Because Phillis' defects are others Imo
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 06:58
I Don't Want To Leave You, I Just Came To Say Goodbye
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 09:37
Hi,

In many ways, the choosing of someone like this, into inclusion here, is the kind of thing that does not help the definition of "progressive", however, at the very least, Shawn Phillips deserves to be here, for being himself, and not just a song, and not just something that the top ten darlings love ... he has stated before that he was not interested in labels and he only did what felt right to him, and had nothing to do with a definition or explanation.

Comparing him to Roy Harper, is very strange for me ... I have 15 or more albums by Roy, and have not gotten any of Shawn's albums, despite my having been familiar with at least 4 of his albums in the 70's ... and I was not into his music, simply because I was into the European bombardment of outstanding and great music, which made SP a bit less valuable or important. 

However, listening to it now, it is clear that this is very good, and deserves a listen.

Roy is more about the words and his expression, and I think he would be able to sing his poem even if he did not have a guitar in his hand! And he has said, that many times he can just continue with more words and lines, in anything ... and he shows it in conversation ... he's a non-stop person, and very capable, to add to what he is doing with the guitar.

In this sense, SP is a much more conventional writer, and some of his lyrics are set around the parts in the song ... it's actually hard to find that in a lot of Roy's work as he tends to just keep going ... something that is mostly very difficult to do, unless you have "the feel", which obviously one could say that Roy does have it.

It's a shame that we have to mention SP in the same way that some folks here do, when they think it's not good music ... and this is why I do not like music to be simply a preference, or a style ... it takes away the individuality, and in this case, we don't know what kicks SP ... but we certainly know what kicks Roy!

It reminds me of the discussions, time and again, of the harsh voiced singers ... and people continually comparing Roger Chapman, to Joe Cocker and then Peter Gabriel, or Francesco di Giacomo ... when the value of the content is totally ignored for some kind of sounds like this or that ... and none of them do, anyway because what they sing is not about this or that ... it's about who they are.

SP deserves to be here ... although I would probably just mash him into a folk category, rather than this one ... I have to re-listen to things, but I do not recall his material being that much rock oriented, a lot more than it was folk oriented.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 13:31
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Both were suggested at the same time and the admin team considered both thoughtfully and ultimately decided that Al doesn't make the cut.  I'm not as familiar with Phillips even though I have known of him since 1974 and he got plenty of airplay back then in Montreal.  I certainly liked some of his stuff but never consistently enough to make me a fan.  Still, from what I have heard (and I"ve heard most of Al Stewart's output from the late 1960s and 1970s), I would say Phillips is indeed more prog related than Stewart.  I do consider myself a fan of Al Stewart.  Interestingly, I love best his most commercially successful albums

We'll have to agree to disagree then....other than a few long songs there is nothing more 'proggy' (lets not argue that word...) about Philips over Stewart...imo.
Smile

Edited by dr wu23 - June 04 2019 at 13:37
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 14:00
Howdy all! 

Got to chime in on this one while I'm having a good day. I don't think that anyone, at this point, cares to argue what constitutes prog or prog related and just feels like 'yeah, whatever' when something new is added to PA's discography. What I think bothers people is when similar artists like Phillips and Stewart are not both added. These are very similar folk based artists, the only difference is that Phillips was not as commercially successful as Stewart, at least for a little while when Stewart had his 70s heyday. For what it's worth, I think that both should be listed here. 

Edited by SteveG - June 04 2019 at 14:02
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 14:06
^ Steve,   your check is in the mail.  ;)

But seriously......many of these inclusions are as subjective as hell...both Stewart and Phillips are similar in a prog vein. And some of the bands that are on PA are even less proggy than them.....
;)
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 14:09
Hi doc. Yeah that's why I said 'yeah, whatever.' LOl!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 14:22
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Hi doc. Yeah that's why I said 'yeah, whatever.' LOl!

LOL
Yes......which is why I have brought up several times to let the regular members here vote on it...after all we make up the forum, listen to the music, and post about it...but only a handful can decide what goes on the list? Really...?

Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 14:36
^ This Phillips admission does puzzle me but to be fair to KenL, a lot of this is a case of not being able to put the genie back in the bottle. When one marginal prog related slips through the cracks and ends up in PA it must be hard to balance out who else gets in when these artists are similar.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 15:41
First of all, great job on the addition.

And welcome back, it's those who announce their departures who seem the most likely to return often (or those are the ones we will most notice as it is most conspicuous). It's the ones who quietly slip away who most often stay gone. Speaking of slipping away, I don't see it as a slip as we discussed this and did our research, and I would expect that the team that suggested it to us would have thought about it carefully too before asking us to look into them. PR additions should be rare.

Every admission should be on a case-by-case basis, and I didn't see any necessity for both even to be decided on at the same time. In the case of Shawn Phillips, his involvement with Cosmic Debris which is included in Progressive Electronic (even if on only on one album) helped his case as Prog Related. It was quite a close call with Al Stewart and I can't say that he will never be included (I was most convinced by his "Nostradamus", which I found with my own research, which tipped me into a yes position, but I don't know anything else of his with comparable merit).

Normally we deal with one act act a time, in this case we were asked to evaluate both (I can get why that would be). The expectation has been that we don't decide based on listening to the music but based on the arguments that are presented to us. In this case we all did listen carefully and research.

With Shawn Phillips, he had enough of a connection to Acid Folk, Progressive Folk and Chamber Folk for me to find him musically compelling.

Perhaps we should stick to doing things the formal way: CLICK

So, then part of it should be about how well and thoroughly a case is presented and argued to us (and we shouldn't have to know a note of the music).

I do think it's best when there's some vibrant discussion going in Suggest New Bands (SP had a fairly recent thread started by Lorenzo which I participated in somewhat, of course Al Stewart would get more response, sure he's come up before), then it's PMed to us as formal suggestion after there's been some sort of forum consensus on it being Prog, from an SC with a solid case being made. Of course it also helps that the Prog team that most closely associates with the style of music supports the case (as they did with Stewart and Phillips).   In this case we did use our own ears and do research of our own.

I found Phillips case rather more compelling on the whole, but I was okay with both and I was okay with including both and with not having both -- I do like to give the teams the benefit of the doubt as I would expect that they would know this stuff well if proposing it to us. But we wont include everything and we won't include everything related at the same time. I would have been okay with neither (I'd be more interested in discussing Donovan's relevance). I do think we should be careful with what is added, and if there are doubts, then not give the go ahead to add (later on one might reconsider if someone makes a good case for which it gains support and traction). By the way, not generally a very high-rated album, but I like Stewart's Zero She Flies considerably.

Edited by Logan - June 04 2019 at 16:06
Just a fanboy passin' through.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 16:14
well stated Greg.  Of course this is somewhat subjective.  How could evaluating music be anything but?  Hugues and I happened to put forth the suggestions at the same time and were impressed by how seriously the requests were taken by the admin group.

I don't favor putting things to a forum vote for the same reason that I don't favor seeing another Genesis vs Yes poll.  This shouldn't be a popularity contest.  

A lot of work goes into being a collaborator on this site, and none of it paid.  It's not simply participating in forums.  In fact, one could be a very valuable collaborator without participating in forums.  Look at the work that went into creating the Shawn Phillips bio by JamesBaldwin, not to mention the work in adding a bio for much more obscure artists.  If you want to participate more in decision making and really maintaining this site as one of the go to sites for prog information on the web, I don't doubt there are opportunities to be a collaborator.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>