Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome, Shawn Phillips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 16:32
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

First of all, great job on the addition.

And welcome back, it's those who announce their departures who seem the most likely to return often (or those are the ones we will most notice as it is most conspicuous). It's the ones who quietly slip away who most often stay gone. Speaking of slipping away, I don't see it as a slip as we discussed this and did our research, and I would expect that the team that suggested it to us would have thought about it carefully too before asking us to look into them. PR additions should be rare.

Every admission should be on a case-by-case basis, and I didn't see any necessity for both even to be decided on at the same time. In the case of Shawn Phillips, his involvement with Cosmic Debris which is included in Progressive Electronic (even if on only on one album) helped his case as Prog Related. It was quite a close call with Al Stewart and I can't say that he will never be included (I was most convinced by his "Nostradamus", which I found with my own research, which tipped me into a yes position, but I don't know anything else of his with comparable merit).

Normally we deal with one act act a time, in this case we were asked to evaluate both (I can get why that would be). The expectation has been that we don't decide based on listening to the music but based on the arguments that are presented to us. In this case we all did listen carefully and research.

With Shawn Phillips, he had enough of a connection to Acid Folk, Progressive Folk and Chamber Folk for me to find him musically compelling.

Perhaps we should stick to doing things the formal way: CLICK

So, then part of it should be about how well and thoroughly a case is presented and argued to us (and we shouldn't have to know a note of the music).

I do think it's best when there's some vibrant discussion going in Suggest New Bands (SP had a fairly recent thread started by Lorenzo which I participated in somewhat, of course Al Stewart would get more response, sure he's come up before), then it's PMed to us as formal suggestion after there's been some sort of forum consensus on it being Prog, from an SC with a solid case being made. Of course it also helps that the Prog team that most closely associates with the style of music supports the case (as they did with Stewart and Phillips).   In this case we did use our own ears and do research of our own.

I found Phillips case rather more compelling on the whole, but I was okay with both and I was okay with including both and with not having both -- I do like to give the teams the benefit of the doubt as I would expect that they would know this stuff well if proposing it to us. But we wont include everything and we won't include everything related at the same time. I would have been okay with neither (I'd be more interested in discussing Donovan's relevance). I do think we should be careful with what is added, and if there are doubts, then not give the go ahead to add (later on one might reconsider if someone makes a good case for which it gains support and traction). By the way, not generally a very high-rated album, but I like Stewart's Zero She Flies considerably.

I like Zero also and Love Chronicles and Orange are also good.....imho more interesting than most of (if not all) Phillips work. Of course ..that's subjective.
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 16:37
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

well stated Greg.  Of course this is somewhat subjective.  How could evaluating music be anything but?  Hugues and I happened to put forth the suggestions at the same time and were impressed by how seriously the requests were taken by the admin group.

I don't favor putting things to a forum vote for the same reason that I don't favor seeing another Genesis vs Yes poll.  This shouldn't be a popularity contest.  

A lot of work goes into being a collaborator on this site, and none of it paid.  It's not simply participating in forums.  In fact, one could be a very valuable collaborator without participating in forums.  Look at the work that went into creating the Shawn Phillips bio by JamesBaldwin, not to mention the work in adding a bio for much more obscure artists.  If you want to participate more in decision making and really maintaining this site as one of the go to sites for prog information on the web, I don't doubt there are opportunities to be a collaborator.
Heh Ken,
 I know this is off topic but imho it's not a 'popularity contest' to ask the regs what they think. After all everyone here is allowed to rate albums so why not allow some input  on what bands get included.
There could be a weighted vote where all board ballots carries a group vote number and the bulk of the votes would be based on the collabs.
Just a thought....but imho a valid one.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 18:01
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

.... Shawn Phillips deserves to be here, for being himself, and not just a song, and not just something that the top ten darlings love ... he has stated before that he was not interested in labels and he only did what felt right to him, and had nothing to do with a definition or explanation.

....However, listening to it now, it is clear that this is very good, and deserves a listen.

It's a shame that we have to mention SP in the same way that some folks here do, when they think it's not good music ... and this is why I do not like music to be simply a preference, or a style ... it takes away the individuality, and in this case, we don't know what kicks SP 

It reminds me of the discussions, time and again, of the harsh voiced singers ... and people continually comparing Roger Chapman, to Joe Cocker and then Peter Gabriel, or Francesco di Giacomo ... when the value of the content is totally ignored for some kind of sounds like this or that ... and none of them do, anyway because what they sing is not about this or that ... it's about who they are.

SP deserves to be here ... although I would probably just mash him into a folk category, rather than this one ... I have to re-listen to things, but I do not recall his material being that much rock oriented, a lot more than it was folk oriented.

I agree, well-said!

For the category: SP comes from folk, true, but we cant consider his music prog folk. It seems to me his folk sometimes sounds like classical music, chamber folk, as Logan says. But when he wants to compose a suite, with prog style and arrangement, he prefers to write an hybrid between blues, soul and funky.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 18:08
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

First of all, great job on the addition.

I'd be more interested in discussing Donovan's relevance.

Yes, Donovan relevance. He was one of the most original and sophysticated arranger of his era: folk, 
blues, jazz, vaudeville etc. He wasn't helped by his producer like Beatles did.

The question is: Phillips claims he co-wrote with Donovan a lot of songs for Fairy Tale, Sunshine Superman, 
Mellow Yellow. Where can we feel Phillips' hand (like author and arranger) in that albums?

Or: were Phillips' folk ballads influenced by Donovan?
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2019 at 01:03
For the record: I've got no issues with Shawn Phillips added to prog-related. Its easy to hear why and he might as well been added to prog-folk imo. So welcome to him. I don't know why I felt like having all these opinions about his actual music just here. He has "always" been a frustrating listen I guess - and this is after all a music discussion board.

Btw: I don't think we should add anyone for just being themselves and not just a song or a top ten darling who's uninterested in labels though. If that was the case most of my treasured artists outside of the progressive rock realm should be added. Hello Andrea Belfi, Hector Zazou, Anthony Braxton and Sun Ra - goodbye Muse, Queen, Ambrosia, Golden Earring etc... fine by me really but what would be the point of that? 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2019 at 04:32
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

well stated Greg.  Of course this is somewhat subjective.  How could evaluating music be anything but?  Hugues and I happened to put forth the suggestions at the same time and were impressed by how seriously the requests were taken by the admin group.

I don't favor putting things to a forum vote for the same reason that I don't favor seeing another Genesis vs Yes poll.  This shouldn't be a popularity contest.  

A lot of work goes into being a collaborator on this site, and none of it paid.  It's not simply participating in forums.  In fact, one could be a very valuable collaborator without participating in forums.  Look at the work that went into creating the Shawn Phillips bio by JamesBaldwin, not to mention the work in adding a bio for much more obscure artists.  If you want to participate more in decision making and really maintaining this site as one of the go to sites for prog information on the web, I don't doubt there are opportunities to be a collaborator.
No one is doubting the work that colabs do behind the scenes Ken or that they are not appreciated for it.* Again, it's always a case of admitting marginal artists in the prog or prog related categories. Take the inclusion of Jansch and Renbourn in that category (Renbourn was requested by me and a couple of others as Jansch was included for awhile before Renbourn was added). I still feel that both are marginal but only wanted to see a balance as to who's admitted. One in without the other was daft to me but there it is. With regard to Phillips and Stewart, both are more worthy of the prog related tag then either Jansch or Renbourn, at least to me, and there's the rub. Back to the subjective.

Peace, out. Until some future date.

Edit: * Especially a collaborator who is a virtual one man show.

Edited by SteveG - June 05 2019 at 05:22
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2019 at 13:23
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Yes, Donovan relevance. He was one of the most original and sophysticated arranger of his era: folk, 
blues, jazz, vaudeville etc. He wasn't helped by his producer like Beatles did.

The question is: Phillips claims he co-wrote with Donovan a lot of songs for Fairy Tale, Sunshine Superman, 
Mellow Yellow. Where can we feel Phillips' hand (like author and arranger) in that albums?

Or: were Phillips' folk ballads influenced by Donovan?

I kinda think that Donovan was more of a record company darling, than he was a real composer. His material is too uneven, and sometimes, I get the feeling that his lyrics were just adding a few words here and there to make a song, and really ... had nothing interesting or valuable to say, for the most part. It was more about the whole image than it was anything else.

SP, and others I'm sure, probably wrote a lot of stuff for Donovan, some of which he was able to do and some of which he wasn't able to do ... and I, personally do not think that Donovan is that important ... other than some image of what the hippie days were like in those days ... for an hour anyway!

Over the years, I would say that SP has shown a lot more and better work, than Donovan and a couple of his "hits"! Or as Grace once said ... I don't want to be some geriatric old bitch singing the same song when I get old! Well, at least you know that SP would do more than one thing ... and what's D gonna do?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 13:53
Here you can read my first three reviews on SP's albums.

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2019 at 18:32
I kind of sat on this post for awhile, I’m sorry to say. Shawn Phillips is wonderful. I’ve enjoyed many listens of his classic albums and saw him live twice and got to have quick superficial chats with him afterwards. He’s not obvious Prog, but a good case can be made from how he combines genres at times. I’m happy to see him included. Prog-Related seems a little odd. I would have brought him in as Prog Folk. I had thought it strange previously that Shawn Phillips was not on PA while I assumed Lindisfarne was - until I went looking for Lindisfarne under the Ls on PA and not actually finding them. So that point is moot.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2019 at 19:26
^ I proposed Lindisfarne in prog folk years ago but they were rejected.  There is certainly an argument for seeing them in PR but I think they are more of a unique blend of British folk and American country, certainly with proggy aspects like most 1970s bands that were "serious".  Whatever, they were great.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 16:54

Edited by jamesbaldwin - July 10 2019 at 16:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12