FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

women's soccer world championship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 22:27
That was a good match between Brazil and France. Looking forward to the Spain vs. US match tomorrow! Smile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 06:33
Norway - Australia was the best match so far

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 06:05
Norway had me sitting on my teacups.  Whew, that was close!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 09:03
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

France and Brazil should be hell of a match!

Netherlands - Japan too.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 09:02
France and Brazil should be hell of a match!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 08:16
Well, the preliminary round is over, and we are down to sixteen teams now. These are the pairings:

Germany - Nigeria

Norway - Australia

England - Cameroon

France - Brazil

Spain - USA

Sweden - Canada

Italy - China

Netherlands - Japan

Nice to see that two African teams advanced, but I expect them to be kicked out in the round of 16. Germany and England are among the favourites for the title, alongside with France, Brazil and the USA.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 22 2019 at 08:16

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 15:06
I studied at Berkeley

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 14:59
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I am always torn between 2 camps for such world cups. one half of me routes for the USA, my former home country, the other half roots for Germany

I must have missed that! Where are you from originally?

I am originally from Oakland, CA. I came to Germany in 1993

You grew up in Oaktown? I'm SoCal born and raised, but I have tons of family, I mean tons, scattered around the Bay Area: Oakland, Piedmont, San Leandro, Alameda, Newark, Redwood Shores and also down in San Jose. I don't get up there as often now.

Maybe we stood next to each other on the BART 30 years ago and never knew it. LOL
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 14:05
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I am always torn between 2 camps for such world cups. one half of me routes for the USA, my former home country, the other half roots for Germany

I am originally from Oakland, CA. I came to Germany in 1993

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 14:02

Friede and I just watched the second match of the women's soccer world championship, Germany vs. China (Germany won 1-0). the Chinese women had quite a robust style of play; there were a lot of fouls, sometimes real brutal ones, by the Chinese.

after one of these fouls one of the German players said something to one of the Chinese women, and this was shown in slow motion. though there was no sound to that scene it was clear what the German player said (at least for anybody who speaks German well). she said: "willst du mich verarschen"?

this phrase is hard to translate because there are many meanings to it which all come through at the same time in German. literally the phrase means "are you trying to arse me?"; the meanings that are in there are "are you trying to make a fool out of me?", "are you trying to deceive me?" or "are you f**king around with me?".  Friede and I really had to laugh when we saw that slow motion.

the commentators in the studio made a few remarks about that scene after the game too, including quoting the phrase; it really was obvious what she had said. the phrase is very colloquial and generally only used when you are really pissed off at someone

Glad you're hear, I mean here, to relate these tidbits. LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 14:01

USAGirl View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 10:59
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

The overall standard of play has been very impressive but there are two areas where the ladies have much to learn:
1 - The goalkeeping is awful to the point of slapstick, notwithstanding there are some excellent reflex shot stoppers (Argentina's Vanina Correa aside, who is superb and also commands her penalty area)
2 - Apart a very elite core of players, they don't set their bodies correctly before shooting i.e. they don't place their weight over the ball but behind it which leads to lots of shots being tantamount to scooped 'chips' that usually fly too high

While it has to be admitted that there is some truly abysmal female goal keeping there have been some very remarkable exceptions. One is former German goalkeeper Nadine Angerer who not only did not concede a single goal in the 2007 world championships (this included saving a penalty shot by the legendary Brazilian player Marta in the finals), she was also named female European soccer player of the year by the UEFA and female world soccer player of the year by the FIFA that same year. No other goalkeeper, male or female, was ever given that award (of course for their sex respectively).

Edited by USAGirl - June 17 2019 at 11:02
Peace on Earth
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 18:27

1 - The goalkeeping is awful to the point of slapstick, notwithstanding there are some excellent reflex shot stoppers (Argentina's Vanina Correa aside, who is superb and also commands her penalty area) 

You have to watch the USA/Chile game for seeing one of the most amazing goalkeeping exhibitions EVER.

The score might have been about 6-0 were it not for her, and to the point where at least one American player was not going to get through ... period. Quite insane, and I think that many folks hope to ever have one game like that, let alone do it on the world's biggest stage.

Chile actually played well, despite being under pressure all game long and to come out with that score is a bit of ... you know ... one of those poetic justice kinds of thing ... but they could not move forward and their midfield was apparently more set on defending than they were on moving the ball forward.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 14:41

The overall standard of play has been very impressive but there are two areas where the ladies have much to learn:
2 - Apart a very elite core of players, they don't set their bodies correctly before shooting i.e. they don't place their weight over the ball but behind it which leads to lots of shots being tantamount to scooped 'chips' that usually fly too high

The Dallas boys ( under 15 years old) team beat Team USA 5-2.    Girls just wanna have fun.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4389760/USA-women-s-team-suffer-5-2-loss-FC-Dallas-U-15-boys.html

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 08:41
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 07:26
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

I only watched the First Half, but I'm not surprised that it ended 13-0...

The real scary thing is seeing in the first 10 minutes, the US had like 6 or 7 shots on Thailand ... and you knew this game was gonna get busted silly!

I'm not sure there is any team right now, that wants to come anywhere near the American team.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 07:22
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Equal payment for women is a problem in all areas of occupation, not just in sport. The problem is that it is mostly men who decide about these payments.

I sympathize and believe that these women should get paid a lot more ... and in fact, players like the Men's National Team (in America), would have to donate 20% of their salaries to the women, for their low ranking and absolutely ridiculous and lousy play in the past 3 to 4 years!

I now think the USWNT can bet the men 5-3, or 5-2 ... because at the very least, the women can pass the ball and shoot ... the men, it feels like the old days in Victorian England ... the men leave the room to go out and have their smokes! And ignore the women until they can get laid, of course!

The whole thing is sick ... and the US Women deserve more ... their record speaks for itself, as it does the number of magnificent players ... not to mention others from around the world ... that also deserve more than just a kick in the butt ... how about the girl from Norway was it? (... saddest thing I have ever seen, and their media don't give a crap ... guess who runs the media!)
www.pedrosena.com
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 16:50
I only watched the First Half, but I'm not surprised that it ended 13-0...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 16:29

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 16:22
Clap Clap

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>