Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

women's soccer world championship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 14:01
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I am always torn between 2 camps for such world cups. one half of me routes for the USA, my former home country, the other half roots for Germany

I must have missed that! Where are you from originally?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 14:02

Friede and I just watched the second match of the women's soccer world championship, Germany vs. China (Germany won 1-0). the Chinese women had quite a robust style of play; there were a lot of fouls, sometimes real brutal ones, by the Chinese.

after one of these fouls one of the German players said something to one of the Chinese women, and this was shown in slow motion. though there was no sound to that scene it was clear what the German player said (at least for anybody who speaks German well). she said: "willst du mich verarschen"?

this phrase is hard to translate because there are many meanings to it which all come through at the same time in German. literally the phrase means "are you trying to arse me?"; the meanings that are in there are "are you trying to make a fool out of me?", "are you trying to deceive me?" or "are you f**king around with me?".  Friede and I really had to laugh when we saw that slow motion.

the commentators in the studio made a few remarks about that scene after the game too, including quoting the phrase; it really was obvious what she had said. the phrase is very colloquial and generally only used when you are really pissed off at someone

Glad you're hear, I mean here, to relate these tidbits. LOL
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 14:05
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I am always torn between 2 camps for such world cups. one half of me routes for the USA, my former home country, the other half roots for Germany

I am originally from Oakland, CA. I came to Germany in 1993

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 14:59

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I am originally from Oakland, CA. I came to Germany in 1993

You grew up in Oaktown? I'm SoCal born and raised, but I have tons of family, I mean tons, scattered around the Bay Area: Oakland, Piedmont, San Leandro, Alameda, Newark, Redwood Shores and also down in San Jose. I don't get up there as often now.

Maybe we stood next to each other on the BART 30 years ago and never knew it. LOL
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 15:06
I studied at Berkeley

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 08:16
Well, the preliminary round is over, and we are down to sixteen teams now. These are the pairings:

Germany - Nigeria

Norway - Australia

England - Cameroon

France - Brazil

Spain - USA

Sweden - Canada

Italy - China

Netherlands - Japan

Nice to see that two African teams advanced, but I expect them to be kicked out in the round of 16. Germany and England are among the favourites for the title, alongside with France, Brazil and the USA.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 22 2019 at 08:16

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 09:02
France and Brazil should be hell of a match!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 09:03
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

France and Brazil should be hell of a match!

Netherlands - Japan too.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 06:05
Norway had me sitting on my teacups.  Whew, that was close!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 06:33
Norway - Australia was the best match so far

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 22:27
That was a good match between Brazil and France. Looking forward to the Spain vs. US match tomorrow! Smile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 12:08
well, the USA won 2-1 against Spain, but this victory was anything but convincing. both goals were scored with penalty kicks, and the second penalty decision was pretty borderline. this performance will certainly not be enough to beat France

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 12:20

well, the USA won 2-1 against Spain, but this victory was anything but convincing. both goals were scored with penalty kicks, and the second penalty decision was pretty borderline. this performance will certainly not be enough to beat France

I think you are underestimating Spain. They have some good young players on that team. I think France US will be a very tight game with few goals.
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 12:29
Tomorrow is be the day that I will watch The Netherlands for the first time this tournament. My former hometown The Hague was one of the first cities in The Netherlands were women soccer was stimulated, since The Eighties, and the Dutch coach Sarina Wiegman is from The Hague. In 2017 she became European Champion with the Dutch soccer women. We are now #7 on the FIFA list, I think one of the serious outsiders, Germany and the USA are favourites. But we have some great players who play in the best competitions in the world (like Spain, UK and Germany). Tomorrow we will see how they handle the pressure and expectations, against the tough Japanese women. 

Edited by TenYearsAfter - June 24 2019 at 12:32
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 16:20
7 European teams into the Quarterfinals and the US team! Should be an exciting quarterfinal round! Especially the France vs US match!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 16:30
the Netherlands were extremely lucky; Japan deserved to win. the new hand penalty rule sucks

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 18:26
US vs France tomorrow! Highly anticipated match should be great! Smile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 13:11
an early goal for the USA, but the French team really invited it. Friede and I couldn't believe how the French defense positioned itself for that free kick of Megan Rapinoe. the goal was to be expected after such a catastrophic defense mistake

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 14:56
US advances! I don't know about that handball but I think it was definitely a handball by the US player. Very good match though.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 14:57
well, the US team advances. the second goal for the US team was a defense mistake again; Megan Rapinoe was totally unmarked and scored her second goal of the match. the French team woke up too late, though the French goal was a nice header by 6'2'' tall French player Wendie Renard

Edited by BaldJean - June 28 2019 at 15:01

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>