36 [72.00%]
14 [28.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cat Food vs Ladies of the Road
    Posted: April 15 2020 at 20:41
Ladies Of The Road, though I do enjoy Cat Food quite a bit with it's weird piano bits. Ladies Of The Road is strangely one of my favorite KC songs, despite the lyrics.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 20:16
Easy, Cat.

Love the 2nd. half!

Also, I'm currently on an 'In the Wake..' binge  : )
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 11:59
Cat Food
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 13:50
Cat Food for me.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 13:32
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Two homages made to the Beatles by King Crimson. So cleverly done most people wont not it, but Cat Food and Ladies of the Road is homage or variations of Come Together bass line "in a very cool way" imo.

Unless you specifically read that somewhere and can say for absolute certain that is the case I am going to have to respectfully disagree. The only Beatles homage that I know of that KC did was "happy family." The Beatles were barely even broken up when "cat food" was written and recorded so that one in particular seems unlikely to me.

I respectfully disagree with your assumption......as soon as I first heard Cat Food when it was released, I automatically yelled at the top of my voice "Come Together"...but only the bass line.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreeing. You can say they sound a like but that doesn't mean in no uncertain terms that they stole the bassline from the Beatles. Maybe it's a coincidence? Or maybe they did hear it but just used part of it. It does sound similar but they are both ultimately different imo. Everyone hears what they want to hear though. But again, I stand by my original assertion that unless you read that somewhere and can prove they stole it it's just two songs that have a bass line that sounds similar. Do you have any idea how common that is? If not here's a hint. It's very common.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 03 2019 at 13:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 13:28
I wound up not voting because there is no "both equally" option which is what I usually have in my polls. Usually I have a clear favorite even if by a little bit but not always. Anyway, cat food is more of a fun song but I don't necessarily like it better. So unofficially(since I obviously don't have a choice)I vote both equally.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 03:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Two homages made to the Beatles by King Crimson. So cleverly done most people wont not it, but Cat Food and Ladies of the Road is homage or variations of Come Together bass line "in a very cool way" imo.

Unless you specifically read that somewhere and can say for absolute certain that is the case I am going to have to respectfully disagree. The only Beatles homage that I know of that KC did was "happy family." The Beatles were barely even broken up when "cat food" was written and recorded so that one in particular seems unlikely to me.

I respectfully disagree with your assumption......as soon as I first heard Cat Food when it was released, I automatically yelled at the top of my voice "Come Together"...but only the bass line.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 13:47
Except for the bridge, Ladies of the Road must have been Fripp and Sinfield's idea of a bar song played on an ill-sounding jukebox. Cat Food on the other hand, has plenty to recommend it, and Lake and Tippett's contributions make it a bonafied classic for the ages.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 11:26
Cat Food.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 10:04
Neither
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Ian Stuart View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Stuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 23:31
Two wonderful songs from an epic band - but I cast one for the 'underdog' rather than the cat ...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 11:52
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Even though it lifts the chorus melody from Mary Poppins Chim Chim Cheree, I voted for Ladies of the Road as it's always welcome to hear a Prog band who don't take themselves or their audience too seriously

Heh. Same chord sequence maybe but that's about it. The same could be said about that one Jethro Tull song and hotel california. Personally I barely hear it and I doubt it was intentional.
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 11:44
Any homage, I suppose, could have been unintended/accidental, although to be honest I am not sure I hear enough of it there to agree. As for the quality of the songs in the poll, the live version of Cat Food takes it a step higher...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 11:17

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 11:14
I can't choose between the two. Both great.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 03:44
Even though it lifts the chorus melody from Mary Poppins Chim Chim Cheree, I voted for Ladies of the Road as it's always welcome to hear a Prog band who don't take themselves or their audience too seriously
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 02:07
Cat Food  
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 13:52
I prefer Islands over In the Wake of Poseidon.

However it's gotta be Cat Food. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 02:40
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Both songs are fine. I vote for Ladies of the Road because I find Greg Lake's vocals in Cat Food slightly annoying somehow (strange since I'm usually fine with his vocals). On the other hand, there is some magic at hand when Lake shuts up and Keith Tippett's piano joins in. 

Dinosaur is another KC song that would fit in this poll.

Always loved Dinosaur. Great fun song.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 02:32
cat food
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>