Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best comeback album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 02:54
Some good ones already mentioned especially the Kansas album which I like the most of their back catalogue.

IQ were dead and gone after Are You Sitting Comfortably in the 80's but then Pete Nicholls returned for the super Ever album. Still one of their best and one of the best of the neo prog genre imo.

Some might consider the Emerson, Lake and Powell album a 'comeback' if you just focus on the initials. My own feelings about it are mixed but I do hear a lot of positivity about it so I'm probably alone. Certainly they made no concessions to the eighties whatsover. No electronic drums and a massive sound from Emerson's keyboard rig assisted by MIDI tech far removed from plastic synths that were typical of the time. That line up should have stuck at it and could have turned onto something very special I believe.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 08:22
Trick of the Tail---who knew they'd comeback with one of their best.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 18:49
Rush – Vapor Trails.

Seems many don't realize the band had unofficially called it a day between Test For Echo and VT. At his daughter's funeral service, Neil told Geddy and Alex that the band was as good as done. VT should be regarded a miracle. I know I do: The songs therein are the best they'd composed since perhaps Power Windows. A corker of an album.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 18:51
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

IQ were dead and gone after Are You Sitting Comfortably in the 80's but then Pete Nicholls returned for the super Ever album. Still one of their best and one of the best of the neo prog genre imo.

Fixed. Wink

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Some might consider the Emerson, Lake and Powell album a 'comeback' if you just focus on the initials. My own feelings about it are mixed but I do hear a lot of positivity about it so I'm probably alone. Certainly they made no concessions to the eighties whatsover. No electronic drums and a massive sound from Emerson's keyboard rig assisted by MIDI tech far removed from plastic synths that were typical of the time. That line up should have stuck at it and could have turned onto something very special I believe.

I know I do! 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 19:02
Now by Jade Warrior. A Masterpiece.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 19:41
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Discipline - To Shatter All Accord

Good one!

13- Black Sabbath

I mentioned that BS album.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 04:05
Black Moon by ELP is criminally underappreciated. There's not a bad track on the album.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 05:57
Deep Purple - 1996 with Purpendicular and 2003 with Now What?!
Uriah Heep - 2008 - Wake the Sleeper
Kansas - 2016 - The Prelude Implicit 
Eloy - 2009 - Visionary
Focus - 2002 - Focus 8

Rick Wright - Broken China 
ELPowell was a comeback, definitely and a good one. 
Fates Warning - 2013 - Darkness In A Different Light
Enchant - 2014 - The Great Divide
Nightingale - 2014 - Retribution
In the Woods... -  2018 - Cease the Day
Voivod - 2018 - The Wake

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 06:56
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

King Crimson -- Discipline

+1

Also good and not yet mentioned:
Amon Düül II - Nada Moonshine #
Soft Machine - Hidden Details
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 12:10
Hmmmmmm does Rajaz by Camel count? I think that album can rank among the big 3 in the top 100.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 13:03
Some people on here don't seem to understand what a comeback album is. A comeback album isn't a good album after a band has done mediocre albums. A comeback album is an album where the band returns after a long hiatus or reforms after being broken up. 
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 13:19
I like your Banco call (a real comeback album), AFlowerKingCrimson, I enjoyed it very much, and the new singer Tony does a great job, not easy after Francesco Di Giacomo!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 15:02
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Some people on here don't seem to understand what a comeback album is. A comeback album isn't a good album after a band has done mediocre albums. A comeback album is an album where the band returns after a long hiatus or reforms after being broken up. 

Detail, man, detail.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 15:16
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Detail, man, detail.

All you have to do is go back over the thread and you will see some albums that were recorded in the middle of a band's career and or where they weren't really on a break or broken up. Deep Purple is the one example that sticks out in my mind but I'm sure there are others. I can understand Perfect Strangers but they didn't really break up again and I don't think there were really long gaps(more than four years)between most of the later albums. Even if there were they were an older band later on so it's understandable. Also, someone mentioned "somewhere to elsewhere" by Kansas. If any Kansas album was a comeback album it would be their last one which was the first one in a long time that didn't have Steve Walsh singing. I'm sure there's others also.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 16 2019 at 15:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 15:18
Originally posted by TenYearsAfter TenYearsAfter wrote:

I like your Banco call (a real comeback album), AFlowerKingCrimson, I enjoyed it very much, and the new singer Tony does a great job, not easy after Francesco Di Giacomo!

Thank you. I haven't heard it yet but that seemed like a rather obvious one to me and I was surprised no one mentioned it before I did.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 15:19
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Hmmmmmm does Rajaz by Camel count? I think that album can rank among the big 3 in the top 100.

No, not in my opinion but Dust and Dreams probably would.
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 15:40

Originally posted by TenYearsAfter TenYearsAfter wrote:

Thank you. I haven't heard it yet but that seemed like a rather obvious one to me and I was surprised no one mentioned it before I did.

It is really good, and I blame myself not to have mentioned it earlier ...

Edited by TenYearsAfter - June 16 2019 at 15:41
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 15:42

Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Kansas - Somewhere to Elsewhere.  Best album of 2000.

Rush - Clockwork Angels. Both a comeback and a swan song.

Jethro Tull - Crest of a Knave

The Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager

For me it would be:

Deep Purple- Perfect Strangers

Yes-90125

Black Sabbath - 13

King Crimson- Discipline

I don't really consider LDV a comeback album though since the band didn't really break up. If anything by the Moodies was a comeback album it would have been Octave. LDV is a great album though. Come to think of it the only album on your list I might consider a comeback album is the Kansas one because it reunites their old lineup. For me a comeback album means the band broke up or was away for a while(not just not recording but not playing live either). So the Moodies could count but like I said it would have been for Octave.

Octave did follow a longer period of inactivity, but LDV followed both a significant period of inactivity and a lineup change.  

13, Perfect Strangers, and especially Discipline are great choices, but I could never think of 90215 as a legit Yes album.  To me, it's a classic example of once great bands succumbing to the worst of the '80s.  Add to that that 3/5 band members were replacements who couldn't hold a candle to their forbears, and 90215 goes nowhere for me.  

Edited by Fischman - June 16 2019 at 15:46
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 16:18
You mean the one with Touch and Go? That one is catchy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 16:51
I forgot about Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers. 
Come to think of it even The Battle Rages On was (kinda) a comeback album. 

90125 was not meant to be a Yes album, as it started as a Squire/Rabin project they were gonna call Cinema. But with 4 former Yes members in the line-up... well, you all know how it went in the end. 
And BTW I love the album. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>