Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite bands of all time?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite bands of all time?
    Posted: June 14 2019 at 16:59
I wiil only choose bands with the most solid discography. Many bands and artists can have one or two masterpieces but it's hard to make a solid road of good work.

1. Genesis, where it all began for me and probably still my favourite band of all time. From Trespass to Wind and Wurthering is quite an remarkable road of good music. Also the "pop" era is better than 95% of 80's music.

2. Opeth, I used to hate metal, let alone death metal. After multiple listens it grew on me. This band is just mindblowing. Top-tier musicianship and ten fantastic albums! Mikael Åkerfeldt is a genius.

3. Van Der Graaf Generator, The epitome of dark progressive rock? Hammill is the best vocalist of all-time in my opinion. Eight great albums in a row.

4. Beatles, Revolver -> Abbey Road. It will never happen again that two as gifted musicians as Lennon and McCartney would end up in the same band. It's simply impossible.

5. King Crimson, No need to explain. Starless might the best song ever composed...

6. Pink Floyd, Who doesn't love Floyd? So many good albums + Dark Side of the Moon is still the landmark for the best mixing of all time.

7. Yes, I just love this band. My second prog introduction after Genesis. I've enjoyed every single minute that i have listened it. Close to the edge, Relayer, Fragile, Yes Album and many more... (+ AWAKEN)

8. Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson, I know many people hate Steven. He is the nerdiest prog professor of all time. He knows everything from music but people forget that he also can make damn good music! 

- So here it is, I'm not certain about the order of the bands. I have hard times ranking all of these big names. Anyways, all of these bands have given so much to me and they will always be present in my life.

Edited by Foxprog - June 14 2019 at 17:03
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 18:34
I presume this topic is about prog and related…

A lot of known and legendary prog bands fail to impress me in the post Seventies era, like Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Barclay James Harvest, and even King Crimson, although I first liked Disciplne, witnessed a gig but later the music didn't genererate a lot of excitement, of course that is very personal/subjective. Now let's go.

Rush - especially the 1977-1983 era Amazing interplay, exciting compositions, and Lifeson is so good
Genesis - 70-77 era 12-string acoustic guitars, a huge plus
Pink Floyd - 76-79 era Wright and Gilmour delivered so many exciting legendary moments in prog
ELP - 1970-1977 era I love that over the top Moog and Hammond work!
Camel - Seventies plus Nude Andy Latimer is the prog version of blues
Barclay James Harvest - in fact I only play their 2 Mellotron drenched live albums Live and Live Tapes, but I 
                                   love it!

Le Orme - 1971-1973 era, especially Felona E Sorona
PFM - I prefer to listen to their live albums, more dynamic and exciting
Solaris - one of the most overlooked progrock beauties, Martian Chronicles, 1990 and Live In Los Angeles are top notch prog albums
Triana - first three studio albums, unsurpassed Rock Andaluz
Seventies Uriah Heep and Deep Purple, I love that powerful Hammond-heavy guitar sound!

Edited by TenYearsAfter - June 15 2019 at 07:18
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 18:35
I totally forgot ….
… Tangerine Dream - 1974-1980 era, for me Encore is the best ever EM album. And I really like the new line up with the Sessions CD's, exciting, I am going to witness TD in October, never seen.
…. Santana - I love that distinctive, very emotional and sustain driven Santana guitar work, blended with the exciting Afro-American percussion, and topped with the Hammond (Greg Rolie is my favourite).
…. Queen in the Seventies, I love Brian May his riffs, especially Keep Yourself Alive and Tie Your Mother Down, and the first Queen album is still my favourite one.

Edited by TenYearsAfter - June 15 2019 at 07:20
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 18:49
Prog and related (no order):

Can
Magma
Gong
Amon Duul II
King Crimson
Van der Graaf Generator
Pink Floyd
Yes
Iron Maiden
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 18:56
Univers Zero - 10 studio albums are nary a weak one among them, top 5 outstanding
King Crimson - consistent and ever changing sounds and line-ups, one of the most consistently excellent bands out there and at their peak (72-74) stunning
Henry Cow - short discography but all great and all different
Pink Floyd - I like everything up to Animals, good interesting stuuf going on with lots of experimentation throughout.
Nik Bartsch Ronin - 6 studio albums and 2 live, all with a the trademark minimalist jazz blueprint, one of the best live acts out there.
Black Sabbath - the new of albums from s/t to Sabotage are genre defining
Radiohead - everything since OK Computer is good to great with experimental indie rock of the highest order.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 18:58
My favorite band of all epochs has to be, by far, the one and only < gasp! > < thud >
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 19:11
^lol
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 19:23
Ash Ra Tempel/Ashra
Black Sabbath
Blue Öyster Cult
Dio
Djam Karet
ELP
Eloy
Goblin
Hawkwind
Heart
Kansas
Kenso
King Crimson
*King's X
Renaissance
Rush
SBB
Santana
Tangerine Dream
Thin Lizzy
Weather Report
Yes
Zombi

* = added (I knew I forgot one!)

Edited by verslibre - June 15 2019 at 13:48
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 19:23
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

My favorite band of all epochs has to be, by far, the one and only < gasp! > < thud >

I like their later material better, post heart attack.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 20:00
I'll try to limit just to bands who are on this website. No order:

Yes
Genesis
Rush
Marillion
King Crimson
The Who
Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
Camel
VDGG
Kansas
Pink Floyd

That's 12 and seems like a good place to stop. Of course I like more but those bands are all special to me for various reasons.

Edit. I realized I left off Pink Floyd so I took off Porcupine Tree and added Floyd instead to keep it at 12. To be honest I probably could swap out Marillion for PT but I'm not that big into the later metally PT. If it wasn't for maybe  a total of 20 minutes worth of metallish(notice the ish)in their later music they wouldn't have nearly the fanbase(from the metal crowd)that they do. Not that I hate metal or anything but it always seems to me that some people have to have it in their music(I don't).

Another band that just missed the cut for me is Gentle Giant. I could probably put them instead of Marillion also but I'll keep the list they way they are and just mention GG here. Very great band. Lot's of great bands out there. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 14 2019 at 20:08
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 20:09
I thought I'd name 50 bands that published at least 3 albums. no solo artists. it may very well be I have forgotten some I should have named; I could certainly come up with 100 names. in alphabetic order:

Amon Düül 2
Ange
Atlantis (the German band)
Black Sabbath
Black Widow
Brainticket
Can
Catharsis
Clearlight
Colosseum
The Deep Freeze Mice
Deep Purple
The Doors
Eloy
Embryo
Epitaph
Faust
Focus
Frumpy
Genesis
Gentle Giant
Gong
Greenslade
Guru Guru
Hawkwind
High Tide
Jade Warrior
Jefferson Airplane
Jethro Tull
King Crimson
Kraan
Led Zeppelin
Magma
Mother Gong
Pink Floyd
The Red Masque
The Residents
Santana
Skyclad
Soft Machine
Spooky Tooth
Tangerine Dream
Titanic (Norwegian band)
Traffic
UFO
Univers Zero
Uriah Heep
Wishbone Ash
Van der Graaf Generator
Yes

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 20:34
Jethro Tull-Get the remixes because the extra tracks are awesome and there's tonnes of them
Le Orme-Strong run of albums in the 70s
Gentle Giant-Similar to Le Orme
Camel-Late starter but strong for 3/4 of 70s and early 80s
Magma-The most unique band in history
Van Der Graaf-Pity they split up twice in the 70s
Oblivion express-Auger was great starting with late 60s Trinity
Caravan-Strong run in 70s and early 80s
Genesis-Don't rate early 70s like PA does but late 70s pretty good
Frank Zappa-Pretty cool from 72-83

All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 21:19
My absolute favourite top 5 bands / artists: Pink Floyd, Yes, Dream Theater, Mike Oldfield, Rick Wakeman.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 22:49
Yes, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Klaus Schulze, They Might Be Giants.

Not all considered “prog,” but each progressive in its own way.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 01:47
My top five for the past several years has been:

King Crimson
Frank Zappa
Soft Machine
VDGG
Magma
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 05:24
Triumvirat
Giger Lenz Marron
Dzyan
Passport 
Colosseum
Dedalus
Strange Days
Wishbone Ash 
Nektar
Quatermass

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 07:04
Marillion
Pink Floyd
Black Sabbath
Threshold
Camel
Rush
Queen
Riverside
Enchant
Deep Purple
Thin Lizzy
UFO
Death Angel
Testament
Genesis
Fates Warning & OSI
Sieges Even & Subsignal
Goblin
King's X 

and many others...

Edited by Cristi - June 15 2019 at 08:37
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 08:35
There's my personal (prog) big 5. When I think about this I always take into account solo work of the musicians that are associated with the bands, much of which shows strong connections to the "main band's" material.

Can - Apart from the iconic material that they produced if the first seven or so years of their existence (which would be enough to grant them their spot), Holger Czukay and Irmin Schmidt have major bodies of great work that on its own could compete with some major prog bands, with Jaki Liebezeit and Damo Suzuki not far behind.

King Crimson - So many different periods on top level, and then Robert Fripp has his hands in so much more interesting stuff, Bill Bruford created some great stuff as bandleader, Adrian Belew has some very nice albums and there's a plethora of connections and appearances of other members that I wouldn't count into King Crimson but that still shows the quality and the richness of infuences taken in and given out by that monster of a band.

Art Zoyd - They have gazillions of albums, they were innovative and productive (at least) until Gerard Hourbette's death, and they did hardly ever any step wrong. Probably they have the largest number of albums of them all that I'd rate four star or above, Not even to mention the jungle of interesting side projects.

Cardiacs - Unique, inspired and sparky from beginning to end, and also the supreme quality of some of Tim Smith's and Tavus Korabi's work outside the band and the reliable enjoyment I get from William D. Drake's material are testimony to what a force they were and in some way still are (I haven't given up hope that at some point some new music with Tim's active participation will appear).

Talk Talk - When it comes to quantity they may lag a bit behind the other nominees, but they finished their lifespan with three straight five star albums in a row plus the Mark Hollis album plus the astonishing work by .O.rang are enough to qualify them for my top 5 as well.

Also all respect to Pink Floyd - The Beatles - Van der Graaf Generator - Amon Düül II - Japan (or mainly Sylvian/Karn) and Kate Bush (not a band therefore out of competition here).

Edited by Lewian - June 15 2019 at 08:36
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 17:36
Prog (including prog metal and prog-ish)
Rush
Yes
Dream Theater
Jethro Tull
Fates Warning
Kansas
Transatlantic
Moody Blues
King Crimson
Camel

Other Rock
Shooting Star
Blackfoot
Blue Oyster Cult
Black Sabbath (esp. the Dio albums)
Kinks
The Who
Triumph
Dan Fogelberg
Sass Jordan
Steely Dan

Jazz 
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
Lee Morgan
Wes Montgomery
Freddie Hubbard
John Coltrane
McCoy Tyner
Miles Davis
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Oscar Peterson
Kenny Burrell
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 12:50
I will try to round it down to 10. My list isn't very unique of anything but oh well

1: Genesis
They are really just the gold standard, the run from Trespass to Duke is just fantastic and Foxtrot is my favorite album of all time
2: King Crimson
I think they offer an amazing variety and really only have 1 or 2 duds in the discography, this one took me a while but they are the most progressive band in history to me. Also starless is the best song ever made
3: Camel
You know the ending of suppers ready where it climaxes at the new Jerusalem part? With Camel, I feel like they hit that same climax but several times over the course of an album. They just have such soaring highs and I love the sound in general, They struggled a bit in the 80s but were able to reinvent themselves in the 90s and 2000s to release some of their best work and I truly like almost their entire discography. Their music just resonates with me. Song within a song for example is simply just out of this world.
4: Yes
The thing with yes is that there is quite a lot of junk to sift through in their later discography but they are probably the single most influential band on the genre, from The Yes Album to Drama its just amazing album after amazing album.
5: Pink Floyd
I think Pink Floyd is amazing, but if I had the choice between discographies, id chose the above artists first. Animals, Dark Side, Meddle and Wish you were Here are all simply masterpieces, I do struggle with the Wall and absolutely despise Momentary Lapse but they have a generally solid discography
6: Kansas
This was my introduction to prog, I decided to turn on the greatest hits album while painting a fence and you wouldn't believe the shock when I heard Song For America, The Pinnacle and Closet Chronicles. Simply a very unique and influential prog band with an amazing first 5 albums. Post Point of Know Return its quite spotty with some garbage and some OK stuff, Somewhere to Elsewhere was quite nice though.
7: Spock's Beard
I just love this band, the first time I heard the Light it truly opened a whole new avenue of prog for me (Modern Prog) However I think V, Snow Live, X and Brief Nocturnes are their best work with imo V being their crowned achievement. The instrumentation is always extremely tight no matter what era.. Though they lost some personality when Neal Left, they adapted into a more mature sound.
8: King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizzard
I still cant wait for these guys to be on the website, honestly, i'm yet to hear anything by them I don't like (though their latest fishing for fishies isn't my favorite) Flying Microtonal Banana, Polygondwanaland, Im in your mind fuzz, Nonagon Infinity and Murder of the Universe are just truly among the most unique prog albums to come out in the last decade with excellent song writing and instrumentation all around
9: Jethro Tull
I've recently gotten into these guys and love the sound, but in my opinion they have probably 7 or 8 very solid 4 star albums with maybe one 5 star album and thats Thick as a Brick. Whereas the above artists in my opinion have at least two 5 star albums, but thats besides the point. These guys just rock and I can really listen to them at any time. Songs from the wood, TAAB and Stand up are my favorites personally.

10: Focus

I just love this bands sound, sure they peaked early after Hamburger Concerto. But still their work on moving waves and focus 3 are just brilliant with Hamburger Concerto just being their peak. But focus 3 is my favorite ;)

honorable mentions

marillion
dream theater
nektar
transatlantic
elp
supertramp
wobbler (probably moving into the top 10)
Van Der Graff (Probably moving into the top 10)
Rush

Outside of Prog:

Deep Purple
Boston
Steely Dan
Blue Oyster Cult
Chicago
Led Zeppelin
The Who
The Eagles

Edited by dougmcauliffe - June 16 2019 at 12:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>