Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Occult/ pagan/ horror/ creepy/ otherwordly folk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Occult/ pagan/ horror/ creepy/ otherwordly folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Choose any one you like (multiple votes enabled)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [10.00%]
2 [20.00%]
2 [20.00%]
2 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Occult/ pagan/ horror/ creepy/ otherwordly folk
    Posted: June 16 2019 at 13:27
Having just re-watched Omen's 1 and 2, having recently watched The Witch and Blood on Satan's Claw, having The Wicker Man as one of my favourite films, and as I am interested in literature and music on this subject, I've been wanting to do a pagan/ occult folk horror topic for some time. In this topic I have some folk/ psych music with that vibe to it. Vote for one or more of these. I've deliberately kept my list short, and please mention any favourites of yours outside of the list. There is a tonne more music that I would like to list, but I want to include embeds and I'll stick with a limited number of more folky ones while leaving many that I love off this list.

I found an awesome youtube playlist, and have taken my choices form those (many faves of mine there and I discovered some that I didn't know CLICK

These are on the folk or psych side of things:

Archaïa - Massa Confusa
Arzachel - Azathoth
Cromagnon - Toth
Popol Vuh - Mantra II
Bonni Dobson - Winter's Going
The Wicker Man - Willow's Song
Perry Leopold - Annunciation
Gong - Magick Mother Invocation
Mark Fry - The Witch
Comus - The Bite
Forest - Graveyard
Fifty Foot Hose - Cauldron
Trees - Murdoch
Mr. Fox - Mr. Fox
Gryphon - The Unquiet Grave
The Incredible String Band - Witches Hat
Mellow Candle - The Poet and The Witch
Spirogra - Magical Mary
Pentangle - Tam Lin
Between - Katakomben
Warlord - The Ring
Strawbs - Witchwood
The Sun Also Rises - Death
Affinity - Three Sisters
Buffy Sainte-Marie - The Vampire
Exuma - Baäl
Raun - MacKinnon - Greenwood Side
Midwinter - Sanctuary Stone
Mandy Morton and Spriguns - Witchfinder
Coven - Black Sabbath
Jason Crest - Black Mass
van der Graaf Gnerator - Necromancer
Timberjack - Come To The Sabbat
Gwydion Penderwyn - Witches Coven Dance
Black Widow - Sacrifice
Warlord - The Ring
The Rattles - The Witch
Witch Burning - Salem Mass
Acanthus - The Memory Of Eternal Darkness
Julian's Treatment - The Black Tower
Ruth White — The Litanies of Satan
Culpeper's Orchard - Gideon's Trap
Ultimate Spinach - Sacrifice of the Moon
Jeruslam - Beyond the Grave
Goblin - Suspiria
Slapp Happy - Bad Alchemy
Sunforest - Magician in The Mountain
Tomorrow's Gift - Prayin' To Satan
My Sweet Jane - Salem Mass
Power of Picts - Lucifer Rising
Fairport Convention - Crazy Man Michael
Vulcan's Hammer - Two Magician...

I'll stop there despite missing many greats.
This might turn into a series of polls, or simply a discussion of all sorts of related music.

For my ten for this poll, somewhat randomly selected:

Mr. Foxx

Wicker Man

Perry Leopold

Comus:

Exuma:

Forest:

The Sun Also Rises:

Bonnie Dobson:

Trees:

Gryphon:

Buffy Sainte-Marie:

By the way, I see the poll as merely a jumping off point for discussion, and hope to do a topic for a more general discussion of such themes at some time (provided there are enough others with similar interests here to have some in-depth discussion -- I'm especially into most anything that relates to folk horror).

Edited by Logan - June 16 2019 at 13:42
Just a fanboy passin' through.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 22:56
Wow. Nice work! I really would’ve guessed Coven was one of a small handful of applicable bands...
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 23:00
I always thought “Dear Little Mother” (Savage Rose) was creepy, though not really folky.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 00:28
This one fits quite well on a list of creepy folk songs:

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 03:42
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

Wow. Nice work! I really would’ve guessed Coven was one of a small handful of applicable bands...
I think they were primarely a sh*t rock band with a very cool image though.

You really hit the spot with the selection in this poll, Logan. Not a song I don't love dearly. Hadn't even noticed the lyrics on that Bonnie Dobson-tune.

Death by The Sun Also Rises is so eerie and fantastic and Murdoch is perhaps my favorite "folk rock"-song (I normally don't want my folk to rock) - and well the rest is also everything I love needless to say

Somehow lyrically related to The Unquiet Grave
Joyous hippie-like chant from Barney Wilen and his young model wife Caroline De Bendern holding her fiery whip high - howling her vengeance to the moon etc... somewhere in Africa - but the out there lyrics is based on a chinese poem (but I guess "don't f**king say a word" wasn't originally there).  

The Magic Woods is based on a poem written by Henry Treece, an extract:

The wood is full of shining eyes,
The wood is full of creeping feet,
The wood is full of tiny cries;
You must not go to the wood at night!

He sang me a song in backwards words
And drew me a dragon in the air
I saw his teeth through the back of his head
And a rat's eyes winking from his hair.

Witches Hat is beautiful, but this strange pagan/celtic tune/prayer perhaps more otherworldly and gloomy in its atmosphere and delivery
Rosemary left her baby lying there in the woods to gather som blueberries. More of a tragedy really, but creepy enough imo

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 04:32
Some more that feels relevant

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 15:12
Trees....I'm a fan of their 2 lp's... Mr Fox...also have that one and Forest...all those on Logans list are interesting...also like Mellow candle and Spirogyra.

I'm a fan of Espers...who imho qualify as otherworldly.

Edited by dr wu23 - June 17 2019 at 15:15
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 15:18
Also fond of these guys....

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 18:21
our new album definitely falls into that category too

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 18:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Also fond of these guys....

oh me too!

so many good ones in Longan's list and probably many I need to discover

There are many newer bands that would qualify, mostly in the "neo folk" genre of which some bands and fans have dubious politics.  But lots of beautiful and creepy music in there.

I don't think I can vote for one.  If the Mr Fox track had been the intense "Mendel", well then....

Edited by kenethlevine - June 17 2019 at 18:40
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 12:58
I did listen to everything, great music (some I knew, some I didn't).

While I only included 60s through 70s ones, there is indeed a lot of suitable modern folk.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 13:10

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 13:13
^ That's one I like and know well (mentioned in my original post).
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 13:27

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 14:05
This album is a pretty solid entry into the eerie folk niche, but there's also an emotional core to the album that I like as well:

And of course Spires That In The Sunset Rise can't be ignored.

Also, if we are including rock as well, And Also the Trees are not only one of the finest gothic rock band if not the finest, but they also have quite a long, consistent career doing things that would fit comfortably in this thread. Their most acclaimed album (Listen For) the Rag and Bone Man is not my favorite of theirs, but is probably the most fitting here, especially considering how much they draw from Grimm fairy tales:

Here's their creepiest moment, from The Millpond Years (my favorite of theirs tied with the debut). 

And lastly, yes they do have folk albums! Two albums containing acoustic renditions of past songs:

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 14:26
I was listening to both Cabinet of Natural Curiosities and Spires that In the Sunset Rise earlier today. Was going to post Black Earth as well

While I definitely want to hear about others, I do hope people don't forget about voting for and commenting on the poll choices as I feel more validated when that happens. I should get over that.

Edited by Logan - June 18 2019 at 14:29
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 18:03
^Gotta give it to Mr. Fox in that case, though it's up against stiff competition.
 Post Reply Post Reply