Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member here.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member here.
    Posted: July 08 2019 at 19:32
awesome.. getting a contact high from the thread. Always welcome...

welcome to the site Larry.  Shame you can't review of their albums..   always thought the greatest omission this site ever had was not using its grey matter and ears and just heeding silly stereotypes and the dread 'jam band' moniker.

I find the Dead to be a very interesting band...  if you stick around I might ask to pick your brain on some notions I have and see what you think.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Prog Loving Deadhead View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Loving Deadhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 16:06
That is interesting.  Like you said - backwards!  Phish can jam but I like the Dead songbook better.  Their words move me.  Thanks for the hello!

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Welcome Prog Loving Deadhead aka Larry.  I've been around longer than the Dead, but I have only just recently started exploring their albums.  Strangely enough, I got into them because of Phish.  I've always been a little backwards.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 18:29
Welcome Prog Loving Deadhead aka Larry.  I've been around longer than the Dead, but I have only just recently started exploring their albums.  Strangely enough, I got into them because of Phish.  I've always been a little backwards.

Edited by TCat - June 27 2019 at 18:30

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog Loving Deadhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 22:08
Hi Erenan!  Thanks for the welcome!  I would recommend Terrapin for your intro to Grateful Dead music.  Here is a link.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I7CLy70WtI
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Loving Deadhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 22:03
Hi BaldJean!  My Uncle was at Woodstock!  He was a bit older than 8 months!  
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 16:20
Are you the ninth baby on the left side dancing to Janis?   I thought that kid looked familiar (and bald of course).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 14:44
I first saw The Grateful Dead at Woodstock. unfortunately I have no memory of it because I was only 8 months old

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 11:15
Welcome!
I have a friend who is a big Dead fan and he's been trying to get me to start exploring their work. I want to but just haven't gotten around to it.
KC is absolutely my jam though!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 23:23
Good god, three-hundred ?   You are a pro, my friend.   Congrats on seeing them when you could, nothing lasts forever.

Edited by Atavachron - June 17 2019 at 00:50
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Loving Deadhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 21:40
Nice Jerry Moon!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Loving Deadhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 21:40
Atavachron, you are absolutely right.  The Grateful Dead was one of the best live bands ever.  And I saw a lot of bands back in the day, including a few Prog greats in their prime.  I saw the Dead over 300 times from 1971 to 1995, and continue to see their incarnations live.  I just saw Dead & Company at the Hollywood Bowl for two nights. Thanks for the welcome!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 18:42
Image result for grateful dead symbols

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 18:40
Having grown up in the Bay Area, the Dead were always a treat.   Best live band in the world when they were on their game.   No one believes me when I tell them that.

Saw them live maybe ten times, the New Years Eve shows in '88 were especially good.   Favorites include Blues for Allah, Wake of the Flood, Reckoning, Terrapin, Dead Set.  

Welcome to PA !

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Loving Deadhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 17:53
Hi everybody!  My name is Larry.  I got turned on to the Grateful Dead and King Crimson in 1971.  Two of the biggest life-changing musical experiences of my early life.  And that is why I am - the Prog Loving Deadhead!  
 Post Reply Post Reply