Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beatles in two periods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beatles in two periods
    Posted: June 19 2019 at 05:58
Choose one event, album, single (etc.) to divide the history of the Beatles into just two meaningful periods.

For example, Period 1: Before George Martin, Period 2: After. Rationale: they were a great live act and would’ve probably had a few hit singles without him, but hooking up with Martin was the turning point in their career.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 06:00
...but for me, it’s Rubber Soul. Period 1: great pop/rock band. Period 2: greatest pop/rock band.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 06:23
The one event that changed them was the giving up of touring which enabled them to spend more time in the studio.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 08:05
The Beatles can actually be divided into three periods.  

The first dividing line seems to be pretty well agreed upon.  Help -> Rubber Soul.  Where they went from catchy but still simple and unremarkable little ditties/boy band pop songs and emerged into a massive explosion of what could be done in pop music. 

That middle period, comprised of Rubber Soul and Revolver, and to some degree, Sgt. Pepper, was the peak of Beatle awesomenedd before the third and final period, when all that creativity and experimentation went awry, descending into a mix of drug-addled gibberish, silly indulgence, and mindless hippie escapism.  

Edited by Fischman - June 19 2019 at 14:11
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 08:14
That's impossible because whatever periodization one might think of with the Beatles, it is the result of many different things.

For instance the transformation from happy dance pop á la "She Loves You" to deeper and more artistic music can not be fixed to one specific event. There are many aspects: Discovering Bob Dylan (1964), cannabis and LSD (1964 and 1965), influence from other forward thinking musicians, exploring avant-garde, new recording techniques etc.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 08:25
Beatles before "Rubber Soul" and Beatles from "Rubber Soul" on

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 08:27
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

The Beatles can actually be divided into four periods.  

The first dividing line seems to be pretty well agreed upon.  Help -> Rubber Soul.  Where they went from catchy but still simple and unremarkable little ditties/boy band pop songs and emerged into a massive explosion of what could be done in pop music. 

That middle period, comprised of Rubber Soul and Revolver, and to some degree, Sgt. Pepper, was the peak of Beatle awesomenedd before the third and final period, when all that creativity and experimentation went awry, descending into a mix of drug-addled gibberish, silly indulgence, and mindless hippie escapism.  
That's only 3 and I really don't think you can call Abbey Road "drug-addled gibberish, silly indulgence, and mindless hippie escapism"

Edited by chopper - June 19 2019 at 08:29
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 08:28

I don't agree with this; the "White Album" is in my opinion the peak of the Beatles, not the usually mentioned "Sergeant Pepper". "Rubber Soul", "Revolver" and "Sergeant Pepper" are all great too though. but the "White Album" is simply superb; it is so extremely diverse

Edited by BaldJean - June 19 2019 at 08:32

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 08:44
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I don't agree with this; the "White Album" is in my opinion the peak of the Beatles, not the usually mentioned "Sergeant Pepper". "Rubber Soul", "Revolver" and "Sergeant Pepper" are all great too though. but the "White Album" is simply superb; it is so extremely diverse
I couldn't agree more, although perversely it's a bit like 4 solo albums (or 3 solo albums and a single from Ringo).
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 08:48

My thoughts also.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 09:12
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

The one event that changed them was the giving up of touring which enabled them to spend more time in the studio.
My opinion too.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 09:21

[/QUOTE]
I don't agree with this; the "White Album" is in my opinion the peak of the Beatles, not the usually mentioned "Sergeant Pepper". "Rubber Soul", "Revolver" and "Sergeant Pepper" are all great too though. but the "White Album" is simply superb; it is so extremely diverse[/QUOTE]

Agreed Jean,  The White Album is my favorite Beatles album as well, some great stuff on it and as you said, very diverse.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 11:28
Liverpool. The world.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 13:37
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Liverpool. The world.
conciseness award!
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 13:39
White album is incredible, a true masterpiece!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 13:40

yes, pretty much!
I agree Smile
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 14:07
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

Choose one event, album, single (etc.) to divide the history of the Beatles into just two meaningful periods.

I thought most people believed it was Yoko Ono that divided The Beatles.

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 14:18
I think Revolver marks the point the Beatles became more experimental & adventurous. I think from that point forward they were a more evolved ground breaking band. 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 14:25
Pre- and post-Epstein.  (summer '67)

"I knew that we were in trouble then ... I thought, 'We've had it now."
-John

"I don't think they'd have got anywhere without Brian."
-Cynthia

"If anyone was the fifth Beatle, it was Brian."
-Paul

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 14:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

That's only 3 and I really don't think you can call Abbey Road "drug-addled gibberish, silly indulgence, and mindless hippie escapism"

Sorry, not sure why I typed four.  I have fixed my original post. 

Come Together = Drug Addled Gibberish
Maxwell's Silver Hammer = Even many Beatlemaniacs don't like this one
Octopus's Garden = Silly indulgence, and juvenile at that.  
I Want You (She's So Heavy) = Mind numbingly repetitious, so yes, indulgent.  And what does I Want You have to do with someone being So Heavy?  And who the hell is "she" anyway.  The song is musically interesting enough to hold for about three minutes (like most Beatle songs) but wears out its welcome long before it hits its 7+ total.  As for the lyrics, they're done even sooner.  

Other silliness follows in some of the subsequent songs.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>