Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

yes (drama)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: yes (drama)
    Posted: June 25 2019 at 10:54
Great record favorite song machine messiah ,i am a camera and white car interesting thought ,i would hate this record but ended up loving it. just was happy with the original ,i dont usually listen to b-sides and demos on the cd reissue had the same problem with the re release of tormato liked just the original album ,my favorite re releases are the genesis collection no b-sides or demos that,s just fine by me. any thoughts ?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 11:10
Drama is a stupendous record. It sounds unlike any other Yes album, thanks to those two guys. But it doesn't stop there. Howe is positively on fire. But wait! There's more! Chris Squire's tracks are a veritable bass clinic. It's essential Yes. People who pretend Drama doesn't count because of that line-up are weirdos.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 11:12
I like Drama a lot. I think Chris Squire does some if his best work here. It's always tricky when you bring in a different lead singer but over all I thought it was a very good album.  

Edited by Argo2112 - June 25 2019 at 11:15
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 01:31
I was quite literally thinking about how good this record is just yesterday. It's extremely solid. I'd argue it's Trevor Horn's best appearance as a vocalist, and his work on the record is stellar. This is still a solid YES line up and record for me. It has enough of what I love plus plenty of "new" sounds and styles that took them to their next incarnation.

"Here by the waterside; there where the lens is wide; you and me; by the sea; taking in tranquility"

That's what I'm talking about, dudes and dudettes!

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - June 26 2019 at 01:31

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 02:46
Not my favourite, but it certainly counts as a full-fledged Yes album, not less than Going for the One or 90125, in spite of the absence of Jon Anderson. Most songs sound a bit hit-and-miss to my ears, but the distinctive Yes sound is still there and I agree that Chris Squire does a good job here.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 11:03
I’ll probably always prefer Bill Bruford, but Alan White is also great on this one. Of all Yes albums, Drama is probably the most rhythmic (on a scale of melodic to rhythmic, that is).
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 11:16
also i put tempest fugit up there with roundabout.
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 19:53

Like it a lot.

Perhaps I'm a bit of a hardliner proghead (or for whatever reason) but at the end of the day Drama is the only Yes past 1974 I listen to regularly, with the exception of 'Wonderous Stories', that I listen through Classic Yes.

Don't know if I'm necessarily a big fan of Trevor Horn on vocals, but he surely does a great job, and it adds to the different sound.

patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 20:17
Originally posted by Machinemessiah Machinemessiah wrote:

Like it a lot.

Perhaps I'm a bit of a hardliner proghead (or for whatever reason) but at the end of the day Drama is the only Yes past 1974 I listen to regularly, with the exception of 'Wonderous Stories', that I listen through Classic Yes.

Don't know if I'm necessarily a big fan of Trevor Horn on vocals, but he surely does a great job, and it adds to the different sound.

I agree Drama is their best post-1974 work, although Fly from Here is also very good. I also like 90125.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 20:24
I like both Drama and FFH. IMO Drama is an incredible album. BTW the Return Trip version of FFH (Drama line up) to me sounds a little bit too overpolished.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 20:34
/\
Yeah, I’d probably love Return Trip if I’d never heard the original... instead it’s an interesting curio, at least to me.

Edited by patrickq - June 26 2019 at 20:34
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 21:15
A reviewer once wrote on PA:

"If you listen to the album without prejudice, you'll have to admit Drama is a very good progressive rock album even without the distinctive voice of Jon Anderson. Jon and Rick Wakeman left in 1979."

Well, that is a nice thought, but how about this one (from above):

"Drama is a stupendous record. It sounds unlike any other Yes album, thanks to those two guys. But it doesn't stop there. Howe is positively on fire. But wait! There's more! Chris Squire's tracks are a veritable bass clinic. It's essential Yes. People who pretend Drama doesn't count because of that line-up are weirdos."

So after reading these two pretty authorative conclusions, is it still possible to consider Drama as not a good Yes album? Am I prejudiced, or a weirdo? Or should I take these reviewers less seriously …. just thoughts.

Edited by TenYearsAfter - June 26 2019 at 21:21
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 21:54
Is there really any question it is an absolutely brilliant album?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 23:40
Originally posted by TenYearsAfter TenYearsAfter wrote:

If you listen to the album without prejudice, you'll have to admit Drama is a very good progressive rock album even without the distinctive voice of Jon Anderson. Jon and Rick Wakeman left in 1979."

Well, that is a nice thought, but how about this one (from above):"Drama is a stupendous record. It sounds unlike any other Yes album, thanks to those two guys. But it doesn't stop there. Howe is positively on fire. But wait! There's more! Chris Squire's tracks are a veritable bass clinic. It's essential Yes. People who pretend Drama doesn't count because of that line-up are weirdos."

So after reading these two pretty authorative conclusions, is it still possible to consider Drama as not a good Yes album? Am I prejudiced, or a weirdo? Or should I take these reviewers less seriously …. just thoughts.
I’ve made a similar complaint re: King Crimson’s Lizard. But to answer your question, probably weirdo.

Edited by patrickq - June 26 2019 at 23:47
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 00:02
I think what makes it great is that it's not a pastiche of prog or Yes in any way. This was a new line up and a new vision. I hear fresh creative dynamic and original music . Not an easy thing for them to pull off at this stage. Many fans had pre-conceived notions because of The Buggles connection and that unfortunately killed the possibility of it growing even further. Thankfully the album is now properly recognised as a classic.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 05:04

Like it a lot.

I agree about it being their strongest post-1974 work. I'm one of the few weirdos that has mixed feelings about GFTO. I'm always up and down on that record.

I personally think this is also Trevor Horn's best overall performance as a vocalist. I think his range is fantastic for what the band were doing, and he had that "eccentric mojo" the band were known for.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 06:15
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

Originally posted by TenYearsAfter TenYearsAfter wrote:

If you listen to the album without prejudice, you'll have to admit Drama is a very good progressive rock album even without the distinctive voice of Jon Anderson. Jon and Rick Wakeman left in 1979."

Well, that is a nice thought, but how about this one (from above):"Drama is a stupendous record. It sounds unlike any other Yes album, thanks to those two guys. But it doesn't stop there. Howe is positively on fire. But wait! There's more! Chris Squire's tracks are a veritable bass clinic. It's essential Yes. People who pretend Drama doesn't count because of that line-up are weirdos."

I’ve made a similar complaint re: King Crimson’s Lizard. But to answer your question, probably weirdo.

Well, I am a prejudiced weirdo, I don't like the album at all, too smooth, too Yes-unlike, despite Squire his impressive bass work.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 08:21
To my ears, Drama was the band's last "great" album.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 08:24
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Like it a lot.

I agree about it being their strongest post-1974 work. I'm one of the few weirdos that has mixed feelings about GFTO. I'm always up and down on that record.

I personally think this is also Trevor Horn's best overall performance as a vocalist. I think his range is fantastic for what the band were doing, and he had that "eccentric mojo" the band were known for.

Turn Of The Century is the only track I return to regularly. Awaken, to me, is a mess and a missed opportunity. Boring middle section and Jon's least melodic vocal turn.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 13:54
I have a love hate relationship with Drama.  I think it is time to give it a spin again...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>