0 [0.00%]
5 [35.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 11:52
In general, it seems that film around "philosophy" does not come off really well, specially today within a commercial society where film has as much meaning as a lot of what you drive down the toilet. It's too much of it about the idea of "making it" and then making sure you can gain money out of it.

Just recently I saw a French film  (Cezanne et moi), and the whole film is, more or less, a whole dialogue between  Gide and Cezanne, and a lot of it is just talky stuff that very few Americans will ever sit through or care to figure out what it is all about ... and in the end, the story gives it to you with a slap in the face (just a sentence or two at the end of the film), which leaves you hanging ... so he wasn't a jerk ... this is what he saw and decided to do, but the guy had to live with all the criticisms, almost non-stop ... and this is hard for everyone concerned, not to mention the artist, even Picasso was known to close the doors and disappear for a while, as did many other 20th century folks ... but (even here!) we are enamored with the social aspect of the art and its fame, mostly, and the rest ... be damned.

Sometimes there is no philosophy, and it becomes one. Even Picasso said that Cezanne was the father of modern art! (At the time, I'm sure!) ... but to us here, it means nothing. And the same thing for philosophy, and even literature that challenged your philosophy, because you believe in a religion or in a democratic this or that, or something else ... or like here, in a commercially viable bunch of likes and dislikes, because you don't want to not be appreciated by all the other folks here.

I review a lot of film, and some that I like to do the most is always the film about the artist, whoever he/she is, and the worst thing in almost all of the films is the "acceptance" of what is being done, and ... as usual ... not a single attempt to understand anything ... up to one of the saddest of them ... writing a symphony for your wife and she still leaves for a bigger ____ you could say!

Philosophy, would be tough, very tough in a film, but there are probably some films on it and I will see if I can make a list of them ... and the ones I would like to see would be French because they have a lot of respect for the arts and its details, where places like America do not!

One philosophy that stands out, BTW, would be Buddhism, as it features in a lot of film, although in a simplified formula, and there are some examples around, but even then, they are not as good at explaining a heck of a lot instead of making you think that some small this or that, or thought is important ... and you can see that in Hesse's story that has been done into film a couple of times, and it is not boring, but it has to go slow, so you have a chance to think and catch up with it ... but you really think a top ten person that can only discuss hits and their favorites is going to stop to appreciate one of these films ... the mid boggles!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 10:29
Nietzsche is by far my favourite philosopher, but, apart from going mad, I'm not sure if his life would make a great movie.

Maybe Zeno surviving a shipwreck and dying when he tripped up.

But probably Socrates from this list, with his trial and taking poisin for corrupting the youth.
Songs cast a light on you
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 09:46
I believe a film about Sokrates would be cool and insightfull, as he was a noted for being vitty, smart and quick in the mouth. A man that could argue with the best, even oit of trial but hes triel is very well known read of how to argue self worth and your self-walue instead of argua against the claims of what hes trail wss based upon. He was a goy that also was funny

Edited by Icarium - July 01 2019 at 09:59
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 07:02
Nietzsche
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 04:55
André Moreau because he has many women...  His life is unreal, we can't even show that on TV... But it would be the best movie ever to create a storm bigger than any Marquis de Sade works.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 04:19
Voted for Kant.  I like the way his mind worked.   I'm also into Aristotle.

I recommend Joseph Heller's novel "Picture This" which riffs on Rembrant Van Rijn's Aristotle contemplating a bust of Homer.  Outstanding Socrates, Plato, Aristotle history synthesized through Heller's satire. 
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 16:40
How ‘bout Bertrand Russell?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 16:19
You'd have to add Heidegger before Gadamer k
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 15:46
i thought of Wittgenstein but then i would must add Habermas and Gadamer as well an Adorno, Mill and Kuhn etc

Edited by Icarium - June 28 2019 at 15:47
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 15:06
No Wittgenstein?

Voted for Descartes for dying in Sweden because the oven was not warm enough.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 14:49
There has been many biopics but never has one been made about one of our dear philosopher. And all of these are grand characters. i have left of some people and also woman       sorry. Bur whom is most worthy a biopic. a film of their life and history and relevance. Whos life in general do you think would work best as film.

I would suggest Walter Benjamin. hes grand thought of art and aura of art is so rich and well thought of. Hes escape from nazi and presecution of jews and just givving up and commiting suiccide on the border is so graphic and tragic its my pik for a film but whos yours.

Edited by Icarium - June 28 2019 at 14:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12