3 [5.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Story Based Genesis Song?
    Posted: April 18 2020 at 07:52
I love the stories of Peter's extemporaneous "fillers" that he used to invent on the spot in order to cover the otherwise-dead-space that his mates required between songs for endless re-tunings, re-programming, volume checks, re-stringings, and other activities. The one on Genesis Live is legend, but if they were all as creative and supernatural-sci-fi-ish as that one, I would have wanted that book! I wouldn't be surprised to learn that "Squonk" or "A Trick of the Tail" came from one of these.

Otherwise, Sides Three and Four of The Lamb never fail to trip my imagination. 

Edited by BrufordFreak - April 18 2020 at 07:55
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 04:37
Harold the Barell is outstanding. Fountain is so much stronger....
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 03:04
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Yeah. We’ve had plenty of discussion about Battle of Epping Forest, and we’ll probably have a lot more. I still don’t understand the swarm of dislike for it. Especially when directed toward the song structure. I can in fact understand how some might suffer fatigue and just get worded out. But their use of varied parts with transitional elements crossing time signatures and keys is quintessential Genesis and they were very adept at it by that time. I love guitar parts, I might add too.
I think this is probably more apparent if you're British, but personally: here (and in some other places) the lyrics feel uncomfortably condescending towards their subjects. The impression is given that posh public schoolboy Peter Gabriel finds the antics of the lower classes awfully comical. I'm put in mind of a quote from Michael Caine about his motivations for playing the lead in Get Carter:

"One of the reasons I wanted to make that picture was my background. In English movies, gangsters were either stupid or funny. I wanted to show that they're neither. Gangsters are not stupid, and they're certainly not very funny." He identified with Carter as a memory of his working class upbringing, having friends and family members who were involved in crime and felt Carter represented a path his life might have taken under different circumstances: "Carter is the dead-end product of my own environment, my childhood. I know him well. He is the ghost of Michael Caine."

I mean there's a place for The Lavender Hill Mob as well as Get Carter. But that place was really in in 1951, not 1973.

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 00:39
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Yeah. We’ve had plenty of discussion about Battle of Epping Forest, and we’ll probably have a lot more. I still don’t understand the swarm of dislike for it. Especially when directed toward the song structure. I can in fact understand how some might suffer fatigue and just get worded out. But their use of varied parts with transitional elements crossing time signatures and keys is quintessential Genesis and they were very adept at it by that time. I love guitar parts, I might add too.

Yeah I don’t get the hate either it’s my second favorite off the album and that’s mostly cause there’s so much to keep it fresh to come back to.

My second favorite on the album as well, right behind Firth of Fifth.  I think it's quite a fun 11 minute song.  Wordy, but the words are fun. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 00:33
Slippermen, but 'Harold the barrel' should be on the list imo.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 23:44
Get em...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 21:22
Fountain of Salmacis. Best Genesis - EVER !!
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 20:01
None of the above.  I'll go for 'White Mountain'.  It actually is a story-song with a narrative.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 11:54
Get Em`Out By Friday 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 10:18
And I absolutely adore The Battle Of Epping Forest. The hate is ridiculous. It's the best song on SEBTP.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 10:17
All of them!!! (But I voted for the mighty hogweed.)
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 04:21

Yeah I don’t get the hate either it’s my second favorite off the album and that’s mostly cause there’s so much to keep it fresh to come back to.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 23:08
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
kjprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 15:27
Epping is an Epping disaster!  One of their worst!  I'll go Hogweed for the win
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 17:20
Get 'Em Out By Friday. Hogweed and Slippermen come next. Both good but neither quite get close to Get 'Em Out. Epping has always been the (relative) dud on SEBTP to me, but the lyrics and story are good fun. Just a bit of a mess song-wise. All In A Mouse's Night comes before Robbery, Assault, and Battery for me, probably just because I heard WaW long before ATotT.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 03:48
slipperman Pig

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 01:16
Get Em' Out, of course.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 21:41
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

All In A Mouses Night always makes me smile

All in a mouses night always makes my toes cur
l..

My favourite from that list Return of the Giant Hogweed, especially the version on Genesis Live.

Now that would be Epping Forest for me Big smile

Yes, Epping Forest is something of an irritant to me too. SEBTP could have been the best prog rock album of all time, with a few significant changes here and there.

Indeed, edit out the awful More Fool Me and replace it with Twilight alehouse, and you've got a 99/100 album.Big smileWink

but don't touch Epping ForestAngryLOL

I would sooner replace Epping Forest than More Fool Me to try and make Selling England a 5 star album. More Fool Me is bland and useless, but too short to make much damage, and not really annoying. Epping Forest is too annoying and too long to try to ignore.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 19:27
I think cinema show should be on this list. Smile

Anyway, I voted for Hogweed but all of these are pretty good.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 13 2019 at 19:28
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 18:38
The Lamia

Close runners up: White Mountain, Lillywhite Lilith, One For the Vine, Trick of the Tail (the last for its lyric mainly, if not exclusively)
Of the options given I voted Get ‘em Out By Friday. All in a Mouse’s Night and Robbery Assault and Battery are on my disdain list.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>