Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 underrated prog bassists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 05:18
Randy George (Neal Morse Band)
Martin Turner (Wishbone Ash)
Ridgeback View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ridgeback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 05:23
Percy Jones - totally agree
Jonas Hellborg
Gary Willis (tribal tech)
Nick Beggs
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 05:52
1. Ray Shulman
2. Ray Shulman
3. Ray Shulman
4. Ray Shulman
5. Ray Shulman

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Nick Beggs

Great call! Too shy shy... fantastic bass line in that song!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 06:18
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

In no particular order:
Greg Lake (ELP, King Crimson)
Colin Hodgkinson (Back Door)
Vincent Crane (Atomic Rooster) who played the bass lines on Hammond organ pedals
Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
Lee Jackson (the Nice, Jackson Heights)

as to Colin Hodgkinson:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 07:31

In no particular order:
Vincent Crane (Atomic Rooster) who played the bass lines on Hammond organ pedals

I didn't consider Geezer because I was trying to stay within core prog.  But across all genres, he may be the single most underrated bassist ever. 

I would also add John Paul Jones.  He's fairly well known, but rarely gets the credit he deserves. Plant, Page, and Bonham get all the ink, but I daresay JPJ is the best at his position of all of them and the group would never have been what they were without him. 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 07:33
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Greg Lake is very much underrated (ELP gets trashed on PA for some reason).  

Ray Bennett of Flash, Gary Strater of Starcastle and Jon Camp of Renaissance were masters of the Rickenbacker.  

Mike Howlett of Gong always played some great licks. 

The late, great Lothar Meid of Amon Duul II is a longtime favorite. 
Excellent list. All great and underrated for sure.
Magmatt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 15:08
+ for Jon Camp
all the Tull bassists who toiled in anonimity.

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 15:12
I'm going to add one more which should have been in my original five, Hadrian Feraud.  I first saw him in John McLaughlin's 4th Dimension and thought John had found another superstar musician.  Then as quick as that Feraud disappeared.  Appearing sporadically here and there.  I have no explanation.  Check out the video.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 00:03

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

In no particular order:

Yep Lee Jackson , completely forgot about him . Really great bassist and not mentioned nearly enough.

Didn't know that about Vince Crane.

Back Door - Mid seventies Jazz Rock band?  I seem to remember that Carl Palmer had some involvement with this band and I'm not sure but I think some of the band may have featured on the track Bullfrog from ELP's Works Vol 2 album.

The first two Back Door albums are essential British fusion in my book and yes, Ron Aspery (sax) and Colin Hodgkinson (bass) both play on the stellar Bullfrog track from Works Volume 2 (I've always wondered who contributed the keys/synths as they certainly don't sound anything like Keith) Carl Palmer produced Back Door's 4th album from 1976 (Activate) but it's erm... a bit sh*t.

I never really got much past Coloseum II as far as the whole jazz rock fusion thing goes but anyway just ordered the first three albums as part of a double CD package. Thanks for the info!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 00:44
Originally posted by Magmatt Magmatt wrote:

+ for Jon Camp
all the Tull bassists who toiled in anonimity.

Nice!  

I saw Tull twice (TAAB and Minstrel tours), and Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond was a beast!  Amazing considering he was taught the instrument by Anderson & really wasn't all that into the rock-music scene. 

Glenn Cornick opened for Tull on the TAAB tour, he was another under appreciated master!  His work in "Paris" was excellent!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 02:22
Anyone else think Rick Laird isn't overrated, isn't underrated, but rather "just there"?

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 08:13
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

John Glascock (Jethro Tull)

He was far better and more interesting in CARMEN. Shame that he gets mentioned for JT, where he was a minor player and not a main driving force.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 08:32
Hi,

I look at bass players, not always within the context mentioned here, which is closer to favorite music than it is ... real music ... and there is a difference there. Some folks listed here I would not consider since they were mere time keepers on par with the drummer, and not "musicians" on their own, "independent" track, that added so much to the piece of music ... think of Pastorius and his freedom moving around the music ... no one here goes around saying that he is not a great player. Think of Stanley Clarke and his forays into so much music, and no one here is going to say that he is not valuable and a huge force in RETURN TO FOREVER. Heck, think of BOOTSIE and how he told a riff to go get "fudged" by ripping it with effects!

Too many of these are just riff players, and riffs are not what "music" is all about ... there is a lot more to it, than just a riff ... where does it go? ... nowhere means you simply do not have the musical ability to extend what you are doing, and this is something that Europeans are "better" at mostly because of their history of classical music ... they are comfortable with long pieces of music ... over here in the "western world" (that is USA and UK), it's like these folks never heard classical music, and have no idea what to do with it ... other than talk about a guitarist doing the blues again ... and not showing us anything new.

If I have a personal favorite, it probably would be the late LOTHAR MEID ... whose playing was so different, and almost always "against" the melody and the main flow of the song, giving it a contrast that made the piece of music special ... and some of my favorite moments are in WOLF CITY where the transitions in a couple of places, are just simple, single notes ... that carry your feeling forward ... it's uncanny, and similar to Jaki Leibezeit in FUTURE DAYS and in the transition from CHAIN REACTION to QUANTUUM PHYSICS in the next album, where, it is the silent touch and feel that carries the music ... and there is no drummer I have EVER met, that can discuss SILENCE ... and how to work within it ... except BILL BRUFORD ... but this is about bass players.

There are others ... but not always within the rock context ... DAVID DARLING is just phenomenal. CHARLIE HADEN, specially with EGBERTO GISMONTI is just insane ... totally out of this world ... and, unfortunately, within the rock music context, I still think that JOHN PAUL JONES and JOHN ENTWISTLE are/were probably the most inventive of all, since they were not about the "riff", in two bands that specialized in expanding things and taking it far and away from just a riff ... which is what "progressive music" started being about, but nowadays, we seem enamored with returning to the riff and almost all the players are "riff'ers".

There are a few really special players out there for me ... RICHARD SINCLAIR is one of them. MIKE HOWLETT is the other, perhaps one of the steadiest and cleanest player I have ever seen, and in concert ... he's just clean and strong, and he can play with drummers like PIERRE MOERLIN, who were kinda known to go left and right and away from the "riff" to do something special to make the piece of music stronger. Very few people have the ear, to be able to ADD to a piece of music like that ... sort of like you can add a kazoo and make it sound fabulous!

One other one, is DON SCHIFF ... from THE ROCKET SCIENTISTS. He has never gotten the credit for the work he has added to this band, and instead other folks got the credit and attention for the playing of the CHAPMAN STICK ... but with all due respect to the other folks and the famous one, DON is not about the pyrotechnics of the playing of the instrument ... he is about adding to the music what it needs to make it better and stronger, a very under rated and ignored concept in music, because we spend so much time rating the "riff'ers" and not the music.

I like JOHN MYUNG, for example, and his playing is very strong ... but in the end, you get the feeling that all he can do is go around and round the scales and notes ... and NEVER get out of that to bring up something special because the guitar is just flying as it is ... and he needs to go fly his own kite for a while! That leaves JOHN underrated and not as strong and interesting as he might be, and seems to have the ability to do and be ... but won't get it, when he has to spend his time supporting the guitar ... and can't have time away from it. The death of a bass player ... within a band that does not know "music" ... only knows something about their own "style" ... and these folks are graduates of a music school? WEIRD!

Edited by moshkito - July 13 2019 at 08:43
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 09:39
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

John Glascock (Jethro Tull)

He was far better and more interesting in CARMEN. Shame that he gets mentioned for JT, where he was a minor player and not a main driving force.

Good Point!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 09:42

Hi,

I look at bass players, not always within the context mentioned here, which is closer to favorite music than it is ... real music ... and there is a difference there. Some folks listed here I would not consider since they were mere time keepers on par with the drummer, and not "musicians" on their own, "independent" track, that added so much to the piece of music ... think of Pastorius and his freedom moving around the music ... no one here goes around saying that he is not a great player. Think of Stanley Clarke and his forays into so much music, and no one here is going to say that he is not valuable and a huge force in RETURN TO FOREVER. Heck, think of BOOTSIE and how he told a riff to go get "fudged" by ripping it with effects!

Too many of these are just riff players, and riffs are not what "music" is all about ... there is a lot more to it, than just a riff ... where does it go? ... nowhere means you simply do not have the musical ability to extend what you are doing, and this is something that Europeans are "better" at mostly because of their history of classical music ... they are comfortable with long pieces of music ... over here in the "western world" (that is USA and UK), it's like these folks never heard classical music, and have no idea what to do with it ... other than talk about a guitarist doing the blues again ... and not showing us anything new.

If I have a personal favorite, it probably would be the late LOTHAR MEID ... whose playing was so different, and almost always "against" the melody and the main flow of the song, giving it a contrast that made the piece of music special ... and some of my favorite moments are in WOLF CITY where the transitions in a couple of places, are just simple, single notes ... that carry your feeling forward ... it's uncanny, and similar to Jaki Leibezeit in FUTURE DAYS and in the transition from CHAIN REACTION to QUANTUUM PHYSICS in the next album, where, it is the silent touch and feel that carries the music ... and there is no drummer I have EVER met, that can discuss SILENCE ... and how to work within it ... except BILL BRUFORD ... but this is about bass players.

There are others ... but not always within the rock context ... DAVID DARLING is just phenomenal. CHARLIE HADEN, specially with EGBERTO GISMONTI is just insane ... totally out of this world ... and, unfortunately, within the rock music context, I still think that JOHN PAUL JONES and JOHN ENTWISTLE are/were probably the most inventive of all, since they were not about the "riff", in two bands that specialized in expanding things and taking it far and away from just a riff ... which is what "progressive music" started being about, but nowadays, we seem enamored with returning to the riff and almost all the players are "riff'ers".

There are a few really special players out there for me ... RICHARD SINCLAIR is one of them. MIKE HOWLETT is the other, perhaps one of the steadiest and cleanest player I have ever seen, and in concert ... he's just clean and strong, and he can play with drummers like PIERRE MOERLIN, who were kinda known to go left and right and away from the "riff" to do something special to make the piece of music stronger. Very few people have the ear, to be able to ADD to a piece of music like that ... sort of like you can add a kazoo and make it sound fabulous!

One other one, is DON SCHIFF ... from THE ROCKET SCIENTISTS. He has never gotten the credit for the work he has added to this band, and instead other folks got the credit and attention for the playing of the CHAPMAN STICK ... but with all due respect to the other folks and the famous one, DON is not about the pyrotechnics of the playing of the instrument ... he is about adding to the music what it needs to make it better and stronger, a very under rated and ignored concept in music, because we spend so much time rating the "riff'ers" and not the music.

I like JOHN MYUNG, for example, and his playing is very strong ... but in the end, you get the feeling that all he can do is go around and round the scales and notes ... and NEVER get out of that to bring up something special because the guitar is just flying as it is ... and he needs to go fly his own kite for a while! That leaves JOHN underrated and not as strong and interesting as he might be, and seems to have the ability to do and be ... but won't get it, when he has to spend his time supporting the guitar ... and can't have time away from it. The death of a bass player ... within a band that does not know "music" ... only knows something about their own "style" ... and these folks are graduates of a music school? WEIRD!

Yes, Myung is fantastic, but seems rather hamstrung by his place in the group. I always thought he should be allowed to cut loose more often.  Geddy Lee gets equal musical billing with Alex Lifeson--Petrucci should to the same for Myung--it's probably the only possible way DT could actually get better than they already are.  
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 14:46
A couple of others: Chas Cronk, Tony Levin
PROGMATIC
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 02:09
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Excellent!  When I was first learning to play bass guitar, I started with Chas Cronk's amazing bass line to the Strawbs tune "Hero and Heroinne!"  Nearly 50 years later, I'm still at it!  Thumbs Up

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 02:43

Hi,

Serious question(s) - do you play bass guitar and/or any other instrument? 

If so, how much experience do you have with said instrument(s)?

BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 04:27

Tony Levin is not underrated by anyone!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 04:34
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Tony Levin is not underrated by anyone!

of course he is not, what's next, people are going to say Chris Squire is underrated?!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>