Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The best WHO, eventually

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best WHO, eventually
    Posted: July 20 2019 at 15:43
My beloved QUADROPHENIA gets not ONE but TWO retrospective (and encomiastic) long reviews
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 07:51
Quite enjoyable read. Thanks a lot. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 12:24
Exceptional reads. Quadrophenia is a classic, and remains to this day one of the finest albums ever put to vinyl.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 05:26
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Exceptional reads. Quadrophenia is a classic, and remains to this day one of the finest albums ever put to vinyl.

Or CD. My Japanese copy is exceptional.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 08:06
With Quadrophenia The Who earned a lifetime pass to release all the crappy music they want.

(Definitely in my Top Ten all time.)

And there's a new album on the way!!!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 08:15
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

With Quadrophenia The Who earned a lifetime pass to release all the crappy music they want.

(Definitely in my Top Ten all time.)

And there's a new album on the way!!!

Indeed. 

Fortunately, I actually love the next three studio releases that followed.  
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 11:19
Very good album but not my favorite one...still prefer Tommy over Quad....but if I could own only one would be Who's Next....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 13:20
Who's Next and Quadrophenia are both absolute classics.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 14:28
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

+1
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 14:50
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

+1

+2

Both classics and both show The Who at their creative best.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 00:20
The first album I ever owned was The Who by Numbers and I'm still very fond of it. I think its the best collection of Who songs and doesn't have any weak moments for me. Who's Next is very up and down although the 'Ups' are very high up indeed. Quadrophenia - ye I like it and great to hear the synths. It's certainly their most 'progged up' album!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 01:23
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Fortunately, I actually love the next three studio releases that followed.  

Yikes, two of those three are amongst their weaker ones (only WAY is counterbalancingClap)

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

LOL

well maybe not!!Stern Smile And they haven't abused too much of that right, which is a good thing Clap

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

+1

+2
Both classics and both show The Who at their creative best.

AbsolutelyStarStarStarStarStar

Tops:
Quadro & Next

One Step Down:
Tommy (honestly I've grown sick of it from having heard it way too many times), Leeds (their essence) and Who Are You (the album I started with, but still quite brilliant despite a flailing Loon)

a few steps down:
the rest... except

Their worst:
Face Dances

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Or CD. My Japanese copy is exceptional.

Care to tell us which pressing or reissue, please??

I'm still looking for the ultimate version of that album (hopefully it's a cardboard Mini-Lp thing too)

Edited by Sean Trane - September 14 2019 at 01:25
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 06:51
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Very good album but not my favorite one...still prefer Tommy over Quad....but if I could own only one would be Who's Next....

ditto.. but my desert island studio Who album would be Sell Out...  which was IMHO the best studio album by far they ever did. The perfect blend of everything that made them great (minus the live aspect of course which Live at Leeds captured) along with being Moon's finest moments in the studio before Johns put the shackles on him creativity.. crazy genius he was....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 10:15
Who's Next, their most listenable album.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 13:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

ditto.. but my desert island studio Who album would be Sell Out...  which was IMHO the best studio album by far they ever did. The perfect blend of everything that made them great (minus the live aspect of course which Live at Leeds captured) along with being Moon's finest moments in the studio before Johns put the shackles on him creativity.. crazy genius he was....

Thank you! It wasn't just me! The Who Sell Out is a fantastic album. And cat among the pigeons, was it the last time The Who were out and out fun? Before Pete Townshend got all self doubting and "looking for spiritual answers". We got some great music and good albums after he did this.
But for me they just couldn't match the enjoyment of ...Sell Out.
Too bad the UK rejected this album as it didn't chart as high as I'd thought it would.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 19:00
The holy trinity: Tommy, Leeds, Who's Next.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 15:05
The lyrics and their delivery just floored so many of us - those universal themes that every teen has seen.....Jimmy was us, man - "I'm One".  And those frantic drums, rumble bass, Pete riffs and catchy leitmotifs still ring in my head 40 years after first hearing it.  I haven't put it on in a good 10 years because of how intimate of an experience it is to play it thru.

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply