Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kansas Debut (Self Titled)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas Debut (Self Titled)
    Posted: July 29 2019 at 19:53
I credit Kansas with getting me into prog, leftoverture and point of know return precisely, but over time I’ve grown to like their first two albums the best. I listened to this for the first time in a while and man it’s so damn good. I might go as far as to say it’s their best album. Every track is good, they come right out of the gate showing off their unique american symphonic sound, and the intensity of the playing on this album is unmatched throughout their discography. While the short tracks are all great, particularly belexes, the three longs: Journey from Mariabronn, Apercu and death of Mother Nature Suite are the highlights. Each one is just great symphonic prog. Recommend this and song for America if you’ve never heard them
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 00:12
Yep totally agree they were symphonic prog for all of 2 albums (after that 'crossover' maybe). I love the debut a lot more than the second one although Song For America is an absolute gem. I do love prog songs about the history/birth of a country.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 01:48
yup, IMHO, they never got better than the debut... It's kind of the blueprint that set the band's lifelong career, and all attempts to refine and finalize the formula proved unconvincing (IMHO, of course), but it's clear they owed a lot to Yes in the debut album (and the next one as well)... The only thing missing on that album (besides a gatefold cover) is the logo that would appear with SFA (and disappear with Masque)
While I like it, I think in SFA, they go a little overboard in  near-ELP sense with the overtly symphonic thingy in the Lamplight or Incommudro (forget which one).

Edited by Sean Trane - July 30 2019 at 02:05
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 07:52
Song for America - the tune - kicks serious ass. Expertly arranged, great lyrics, and Dave Hope's bass playing, with that punchy tone, is killer. I own the original Kirshner released CD and the sound quality is better than most current releases. And the music still sounds fresh today. 

I was heavily into Kansas through Point Of Know Return but then lost interest. Kansas' first five albums are classics.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 07:54
If you want to hear what Kansas sounded like before it was Kansas, check this out:

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:04
^ This is equally good as the official debut in content IMHO, just not in production as some of the recordings are a tad raw.  If I remember some of the booklet notes, some of it was recording in a cave...

Have not heard this one in a awhile, need to dig this one out again.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:15
Wow, I just figured out the name is a pun on protocol. Lol. Anyway, I never heard that one but I do like the first Kansas album(1974)quite a bit. I need to dig it out again.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:57
Very good album....but I still prefer Song for America...that title track might be the best thing they ever did .......imho.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 20:27
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

yup, IMHO, they never got better than the debut... It's kind of the blueprint that set the band's lifelong career, and all attempts to refine and finalize the formula proved unconvincing (IMHO, of course), but it's clear they owed a lot to Yes in the debut album (and the next one as well)... The only thing missing on that album (besides a gatefold cover) is the logo that would appear with SFA (and disappear with Masque)
While I like it, I think in SFA, they go a little overboard in  near-ELP sense with the overtly symphonic thingy in the Lamplight or Incommudro (forget which one).

Probably thinking incommudro, though I’m a fan, I could see how it may be perceived as overboard. Big fan of side one in general though
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 20:30
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Song for America - the tune - kicks serious ass. Expertly arranged, great lyrics, and Dave Hope's bass playing, with that punchy tone, is killer. I own the original Kirshner released CD and the sound quality is better than most current releases. And the music still sounds fresh today. 

I was heavily into Kansas through Point Of Know Return but then lost interest. Kansas' first five albums are classics.

Hey look we agree on something! To me SFA is the best american prog song, Neal Morse and DT have great stuff to their names, but that song is perfection. Totally agree that past POKR, it’s generally poor. There are a few good tracks on somewhere to elsewhere and the most recent one was decent however.
 Post Reply Post Reply