Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Genesis thread about class and prestige

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 15:20
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Howard the Duck Howard the Duck wrote:

Yeah but if we're going to give Gen an arbitrary genre distinction I don't think art rock really fits (from those examples, you can't really call them similar to Bowie or Queen lol!)

I guess out of the prog subgenres symphonic rock applies the best, but granted Gen's a lot less bombastic than ELP or a lot of other bands. In classical music you've got a lot of bombast and more subtle music as well though, so if you're going to base a new genre on it, might as well have a wide range of sounds there too.

I’ve never heard of Bowie or Queen as being Art Rock. Bowie was usually called Glam, and Queen just plain came along later. Art Rock as I recall was always applied to US west coast bands like Zappa & the MOI or Captain Beefhart. Ironically, Genesis could have superficially fit into Glam on the basis of PG’s costumes and unusual stage set ups. I’d prefer Art Rock, though. There was a time when Punk came along that Prog artists were adamant in denying that they were Prog, presumably due to market forces and what was perceived as cool vs. uncool.

yeah I agree on your choices for genres for those bands, was just responding to the original list from richardh of the bands Banks was comparing gen to

Edited by Howard the Duck - August 05 2019 at 15:21
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 00:01
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Howard the Duck Howard the Duck wrote:

Yeah but if we're going to give Gen an arbitrary genre distinction I don't think art rock really fits (from those examples, you can't really call them similar to Bowie or Queen lol!)

I guess out of the prog subgenres symphonic rock applies the best, but granted Gen's a lot less bombastic than ELP or a lot of other bands. In classical music you've got a lot of bombast and more subtle music as well though, so if you're going to base a new genre on it, might as well have a wide range of sounds there too.

I’ve never heard of Bowie or Queen as being Art Rock. Bowie was usually called Glam, and Queen just plain came along later. Art Rock as I recall was always applied to US west coast bands like Zappa & the MOI or Captain Beefhart. Ironically, Genesis could have superficially fit into Glam on the basis of PG’s costumes and unusual stage set ups. I’d prefer Art Rock, though. There was a time when Punk came along that Prog artists were adamant in denying that they were Prog, presumably due to market forces and what was perceived as cool vs. uncool.

I'm not convinced that Bowie or Queen were either (both were linked to Glam rock although that's also spurious) although Roxy Music definitely fitted the description of Art Rock. They were indeed taking more influence from US underground bands . Queen were just a well dressed hard rock band to start with while Bowie was just Bowie. He constantly re-invented himself as it suited him! 

and yes that's very true
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12