Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Least appreciated team-ups

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2019 at 13:21
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

I love the Jon and Vangelis team-up, and I always thought they were well appreciated. But the ratings here indicate a more lukewarm reception than I would have expected. Curious!

yes you are right. I would have expected Private Collection to be around 3.75 and Friends of Mr Cairo not far behind but they are a lot less than that.

The first album that Vangelis did with Irene Papas (Odes) at least fares somewhat better coming in around 3.65.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 01:52
I know this isn't really Prog, but I always think the team-up of Blue Oyster Cult with Joe Cerisano on their 1988 album "Imaginos"  was amazing. Cerisano is sometimes referred to as the best rock singer in the world who no one's ever heard of. His powerful vocals were featured on just one awesome stand-out album track, "The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria".

In my opinion, "Imaginos" is Blue Oyster Cult's finest album.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 11 2019 at 01:53
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 06:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Ian Anderson plays flute on the Men Without Hats song "On Tuesday" from their album Pop Goes the World (1987). The song is fine if the singer just shut the hell up...and perhaps the lyricist was shot. 

It was the late Vivian Stanshall, was it not?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 06:28
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Kate Bush and Andrew Powell for her first couple of albums ( I could include Alan Parsons Project accepting AP himself as it had most of his band!)
that's just scratching the surface!

I sincerely doubt that this will get a metal head or thrashing fan to listen to Kate ... it is one of the weirdest things, her material for the past 5 or 6 albums is so progressive that most folks simply can not listen to it, and ... just leave it to the housewives club to appreciate!

She is, by far, one of the most talented and best writers out there! And one that deserves to be listed with the very best, were it not for the damned list of blue guitars, overly loud and unnecessary keyboards, and overdone guitar solos that are not necessary ... even Robert Fripp makes sure he is not "soloing" away from the music like some other folks are. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 06:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

My vote goes to the two Summers and Fripp albums.

This
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 08:08
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Ian Anderson plays flute on the Men Without Hats song "On Tuesday" from their album Pop Goes the World (1987). The song is fine if the singer just shut the hell up...and perhaps the lyricist was shot. 

I remember Vivian Stanshall as the announcer on Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells".
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 08:10
The Barracuda Triangle. Look 'em up.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 08:25
The Bozzio, Levin, Stevens albums  ( or Black Light Syndrome )  we're great. I'm not sure they got the love they deserved on those. 
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 18:25
  my favourite is the little heard Zamfir with New Order...  

http://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio    

tonight at Midnight Pacific, show number 27 for Twitch.  then broadcast number 28 on Sunday, Midnight 
     Pacific as well.  for 46 years, SPACE PIRATE RADIO for the unusual sounds... 

thank you...
https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2019 at 06:23
Hi,

Gosh ... should I start a listing of some of the crazy and far out ... "unappreciated" team-ups? We can always start with the Beatles ... but I like my list to start with The Clams ... and make sure that Guy Guden dj's the set which would likely be at least 24 hours long ... no kidding! 
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2019 at 07:32
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

my favourite is the little heard Zamfir with New Order...  

http://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio    

tonight at Midnight Pacific, show number 27 for Twitch.  then broadcast number 28 on Sunday, Midnight 
     Pacific as well.  for 46 years, SPACE PIRATE RADIO for the unusual sounds... 

thank you...

dude everyone knows Zamfir!!!! LOL  But how many have really listened to him.. that is the question.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 09:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I remember Vivian Stanshall as the announcer on Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells".

That's a real shame ... his best was the BONZO DOG BAND, which sadly is not remembered by many here, to the point of one or two folks even commenting on how stupid Vivian Stanshall was and such ... which is really sad to one of the most creative minds around ... and he was well known in the Beatles (The Bonzos were in MMT!) and The Who, for whom they opened countless times, and it was Legs Larry Smith that taught Keith how to kick and destroy his drums! And if that is not enough, you will never find a song that comes from the lyrics of a well known West End play ... that was one of the most important symbols of the time and the "revolution" that helped usher the psychedelic days ... but folks here, in this board, have a way of only thinking of "hits" and therefore the Bonzos are total crap!

It is said that his later material is a bit eccentric and weird, but that is nothing new to English Theater and Comedy, who is full of these characters ... but we wouldn't know that because we can not "see them" in a living room box like American TV.

Likewise, another person who suffered the same fate, was Syd Barrett ... whose little bit is in one book that is insane and amazing at the same time, in the way that PA can NEVER appreciate ... someone asked another player what chord Syd was playing and the response was ... he don't know the chords, he just plays!

RIP Vivian ... we're normal and we dig ... Vivian and his work with the Bonzos!

Edited by moshkito - October 13 2019 at 09:34
www.pedrosena.com
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 10:40
Metallica and lou reed

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 00:24
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Metallica and lou reed

bonkers collaboration although makes a lot of sense!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 04:00

Gosh ... should I start a listing of some of the crazy and far out ... "unappreciated" team-ups? We can always start with the Beatles

?
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 00:50
I know it's not prog, but I'm really fond of Chuck Schuldiner's music. The best DEATH lineup I can think of happened on Individual Thought Patterns album:

Chuck Schuldiner
Andy LaRocque (King Diamond)
Steve DiGiorgio (Sadus, Autopsy, Testament, Iced Earth, Control Denied)
Gene Hoglan (Dark Angel, Testament, Devin Townsend, Fear Factory, even small appearances on Slayer & Opeth albums...)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 04:43
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

I know it's not prog, but I'm really fond of Chuck Schuldiner's music. The best DEATH lineup I can think of happened on Individual Thought Patterns album:

Chuck Schuldiner
Andy LaRocque (King Diamond)
Steve DiGiorgio (Sadus, Autopsy, Testament, Iced Earth, Control Denied)
Gene Hoglan (Dark Angel, Testament, Devin Townsend, Fear Factory, even small appearances on Slayer & Opeth albums...)

Death are on PA under technical/extreme prog-metal. Big smile
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 13:30
Fripp and Eno on the album No Pussyfooting.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123