Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Song in the style of The Battle Of Epping Forest
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Song in the style of The Battle Of Epping Forest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 14:23
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Fox Hill - By Camel, like nothing they’ve ever done, seemed weird to me at first but it’s clicked and it’s one of my favorite tracks
It still leaves me cold, but I've never been a Genesis fan, so this may be a resaon. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 16:46
Some Cat Stevens songs are sort of like that, specialy on Catcher Bull at Four

Edited by Icarium - August 08 2019 at 16:48
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 02:21

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 18:15
^I don't see it. I presume "in the style of The Battle Of Epping Forest" means (a) a journey song (b) dense with words sung at at galloping pace, (c) telling a story (d) delivering the direct speech of a variety of characters in the story (e) interspersed with Prog-worthy instrumental passages. I can't think of anything that thoroughly fits this bill. There probably isn't anything.

Edited by HackettFan - August 09 2019 at 18:16
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 18:18
Not really in the same style but how about solsbury hill by the man himself? :)
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 02:00
I'd double the suggestion of Al Stewart's longer tracks, add a suggestion of Jan Dukes de Grey - Mice and Rats in the Loft for more of the folkier side, and finish off with one of my more obscure favourites that has a lot of similarities to Battle I think, Emmanuel Booz - Dans quel état j'erre:
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 03:07
Try the King Crimson song "Thela Hun Jinjeet" from "Discipline."  It tells a rather chilling tale....

Here's the story in Belew's own words:

Edited by cstack3 - August 10 2019 at 03:08
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 03:10
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

^I don't see it. I presume "in the style of The Battle Of Epping Forest" means (a) a journey song (b) dense with words sung at at galloping pace, (c) telling a story (d) delivering the direct speech of a variety of characters in the story (e) interspersed with Prog-worthy instrumental passages. I can't think of anything that thoroughly fits this bill. There probably isn't anything.

If you're talking about the track I posted, said track checks all those boxes, sir. Which, is why I posted it. It's just a single 40 minute track that goes ape sh*t. 

If you're not talking to me, carry on lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 06:53
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Fox Hill - By Camel, like nothing they’ve ever done, seemed weird to me at first but it’s clicked and it’s one of my favorite tracks

It still leaves me cold, but I've never been a Genesis fan, so this may be a resaon. 

Im a big fan of how that song progresses and there’s some great melodies, but I understand it’s not for everyone
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 09:11
I was listening to Citizen Cain the other day and thought they might be what you're looking for.  Especially the album "Somewhere But Yesterday."  Looks like theBox's already posted a couple of links!
theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2019 at 13:18
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

I was listening to Citizen Cain the other day and thought they might be what you're looking for.  Especially the album "Somewhere But Yesterday."  Looks like theBox's already posted a couple of links!

Yes, actually "Somewhere but Yesterday" is EXACTLY what the OP is looking for, even though he doesn't know it yet Tongue.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2019 at 14:27
Ogre Battle - Queen 
Empire of the Clouds - Iron Maiden 
The Trial - Pink Floyd
A Passion Play/Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull
Gates of Delirium - Yes 

Those might fit the bill.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
jonbirion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbirion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 04:58
two bands artists come in mind

first was citizen cain which was mentioned

second is chris judge smith curly's airship which is excellant.

one more in the same vein is Sigmond snopec iii trinity seas seize sees

Edited by jonbirion - August 12 2019 at 05:00
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 08:34
I think the Battle of Epping Forest has a unique style that is just amazing. Lots of other songs use a narrative approach but just seem to have a different vibe. Zappa did a lot of this (Billy the  Mountain, etc.), but I know of nothing else that propels a song like Peter Gabriel's performance in the Battle of Epping Forest. One of many reasons why Selling England by the Pound is such a huge deal here!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 21:30
One that occurred to me yesterday was 10CC - Rubber Bullets . It has a similar vibe and a bit of 'larking around' re the Padre .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12