Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camel - Nude

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camel - Nude
    Posted: August 06 2019 at 19:57
Well i'm a big Camel fan, I think they have great albums in every decade, though post Moonmadness they definitely released some mixed bag albums, one album really stood out to me until their 90s/2000s releases: Nude. This is really like a return to form for them and overall, a pretty strong album. 

On this album we have returners Andrew Latimer (Guitar) and Andy Ward (Drums) as well as Colin Bass (Bass) who is still in the band to this day. We also have Mel Collins (King Crimson) contributing Horns and Woodwinds and Jan Schelhaas (Caravan) contributing some piano

It is a concept album, just listening you may understand that, but it is mostly instrumental so reading into the story really brings a new life to the album. From Wikipedia:

The year is 1942 and World War II is in full motion. Hiroo Onoda has found himself living in a society ruled over by harsh regulations and orders that have altered the way that both himself and the rest of Imperial Japan have to live through everyday ("City Life/ Nude"). One day, Nude receives an envelope in the mail that require his services to the Japanese Army and the war effort. Seeing that he had no other options, he follows the instructions ("Drafted"). When the time had finally arrived, Nude finds himself alongside other young soldiers who are being loaded onto a ship to head for battle with a crowd of people watching behind them ("Docks"). Eventually, he is thrown into the fighting on a Pacific Island and is quickly overwhelmed by his surroundings, leading to a blackout during combat ("Beached"). When Nude wakes up, he is alone and without his regiment. He drifts off to sleep with the hopes that he will soon be rescued by his Unit, unaware of the fact that he has been left behind, all alone on the war torn island ("Landscapes").

Time passes and many lonely years drift by. By now, Nude has given up his search and is currently living in a cave beside a lagoon, constantly patrolling through the jungles for any hiding enemies ("Changing Places"). Every once in a while, he retreats to a high mountaintop and runs through a procedure that fulfills his military duties, including reciting his countries national anthem and firing a bullet into the sky ("Pomp & Circumstance"). When a plane flies over him one day, Nude is greeted by a large content of leaflets, letters and photographs urging him to accept the end of the war and for him to return to his country ("Please Come Home"), however, he dismisses these replies, assuming that the Allied Forces were playing tricks on him. Over time, Nude feels a shift in his feelings and comes to the conclusion that the war had truly ended long ago ("Reflections"). While on a hunt somewhere later on, he is captured and thrown onto a boat taking him back to Japan ("Captured").

Upon hearing of his return, the entire nation rejoiced. When Nude had landed back in his home land, he is greeted with crowds of people in celebration and excitement for his return ("The Homecoming"). Despite the warm welcome, his years of loneliness and lack of communication leads to a breakdown; a tidal wave of publicity that he did not favor ("Lies"). With the passing of his fame came his separation from the rest of society and life became dull for the returned soldier, even with his fame and government rewards. On his 50th Birthday, a small group had thrown a party for him and gave him a cake that allowed him to remember his time away. Nude is moved by such a presentation and is allowed to be left alone to reflect on his past ("The Last Farewell: The Birthday Cake/ Nudes Return").

I almost wanna say I get snow goose vibes at times from this album seeing that its mostly instrumental... 80s snow goose vibes

The first track is more of a popier song but I think its really solid and Mel Collins has a nice saxophone solo

Dont be fooled by the first track though. The real three punch combo comes in "Drafted", "Docks" and "Beached". The melodies and guitar work on this album are top notch and what you would expect from Camel. I feel if anyone needs convincing on this album, these 3 should do it.

The next tracks are some beautiful instrumentals meant to portray Nude living on an island. It's followed by "please come home" which is another delicate vocal based track. "Reflections" and "Captured" are more in the vein of classic Camel and overall highlights of side 2.

Coming towards the end is another popier song like city life with "Lies", this track would be kinda average if not for Andy Latimers guitar work. We get an emotional closer with the last two tracks.

All and all I think this is a solid 4 star album. It's not a Moonmadness or Mirage but it is a gem surrounded by some okay to disappointing albums. If you haven't heard Rajaz and Nod and a Wink, go to those first for later Camel, but definitely get around to this one.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 20:05
It’s pretty cool. Camel were one of the best bands of the 73-81 era. You heard riverman and autumn outtakes?
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 22:26
Hi,

Love this album, even if it seems underrated for some strange reason.

I always go, and appreciate most artist's works, when it is different and involves new ways and styles and means ... and NUDE certainly did that, which to me, is akin to the spirit of "progressive" music, not being repetitive.

I wonder if a lot of folks like MIRAGE because it is the rock sound, which was perfect for a lot of radio, and a lot of their music, was not about that "rock" sound, as much as it was the classical nature of their compositions and work. 

As much as I love MIRAGE, I bought it originally because of the cover as an IMPORT in LA, but I can tell you that SNOW GOOSE and NUDE live in my mind a lot more, and stand out because of it, even if I love MOONMADNESS ... which I guess would be listed with the top albums for me, but I'm not sure that it gives the other versions of the band and its wide creative touch, as much attention as it deserves. 

Edited by moshkito - August 12 2019 at 19:50
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 05:54
The only album with 10 CC -keyboardist Duncan McKay and the last album with Andy Ward as a member.
Although Duncan McKay's keyboards sound more modern it's a step-up from the keyboard-assault from Schelhaas/Watkins.

Future albums will have a lot of contributions by Kayak's Ton Scherpenzeel. Apart from Peter Bardens, Camel never really stuck to 1 steady keyboardist. So it's somewhat unique to hear Camel with Duncan McKay.

Funny to mention that 10CC drummer Paul Burgess would join Camel later on. But Duncan and Paul were never together in Camel at the same time.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 07:38
Good album. It took some balls to do a proper concept album in 1981 and it worked very well. It wasn't even something outdated - they made it leaner and more transparent than most prog concept albums in the 70s were, and that works in its favour and makes it special in my view. There's nothing all too spectacular or innovative on the album, but the way things are put together makes it still original. Some of the instrumentals are on top of their game. Some bits are a bit thin in musical substance, but I don't mind, that's just part of its charme.

Edited by Lewian - August 10 2019 at 07:40
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 15:50
My second favourite Camel album, after The Snow Goose.
 Post Reply Post Reply