Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nautilus [UK] for Heavy Prog or Symphonic Prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nautilus [UK] for Heavy Prog or Symphonic Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nautilus [UK] for Heavy Prog or Symphonic Prog?
    Posted: August 07 2019 at 06:22
I hear a combination of heavy prog and symphonic prog in this band's music. I'm not sure which way to lean. Maybe Eclectic if there isn't enough to warrant Heavy or Symphonic?? Please do forward to a more appropriate team if you think any of my genre suggestions are not appropriate.

I have been unable to find an official page for the band (are they still together?) or a proper biography, but maybe a brief bio could be compiled from these sources:

Both of their albums are on Spotify:
What Colours the Sky in Your World (2004): https://open.spotify.com/album/6l8vxkG7Z5cm2wLRieE3GX

And YouTube:

Thank you for your consideration of this suggestion. Please forgive me if this has been proposed before. I tried my best to find another proposal, but was unable to find any.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 04:55
The Heavy Team will take it, while there's some symphonic here, it's a bit too heavy and dark to fit in symphonic. We'll start here, maybe eclectic
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 06:08
^OK, thanks very much for checking it out. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
yam yam View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2024 at 17:44
Stumbled upon this old thread, and found to my amazement that the band still aren't here.

So I investigated further and found this:

Rejected
Yesrdtprog
History
over 4 years ago rdtprog set section to New.
over 4 years ago rdtprog voted Yes.
almost 4 years ago aapatsos voted No.
almost 4 years ago rdtprog set section to Rejected.

That has to be an injustice, surely? The band is prog, through and through - both albums!

Here are a few opinions from others around the Web who are far more knowledgeable about such matters than myself (including the original poster, who is now a member of the Crossover, Symphonic and RPI teams, so obviously knows what he's talking about).

Apps79 (aka psarros, former member of our Neo Prog team) on RYM: 'What Colours the Sky in Your World?'

"Their style was an all-instrumental dramatic Progressive Rock with balanced work on keyboards and guitars and an emphasis on producing intense soundscapes, remaining quite complex in the process. They often sound like a modern version of KING CRIMSON with a touch of PORCUPINE TREE thrown in. The guitar work is haunting and usually delivers complicated themes, while the sound obtains a heavier and more grandiose approach through the strong keyboard work of Blewitt, including organs and Mellotron. But there is also a fair amount of synths to be found, while the mood of the band to change between impressive, low-tempo and more psychedelic textures and fiery keyboard-driven/guitar-led grooves is constant. The more modern parts with the dynamic bass lines and powerful drumming are the ones recalling STEVEN WILSON's PORCUPINE TREE, containing also some nervous background electronics.

Good, intricate and dark-sounding instrumental Prog for fans of KING CRIMSON or Scandinavian Prog in the vein of ANEKDOTEN or LANDBERK. Warmly recommended."

Henry Schneider, on Exposé.org: 'What Colours the Sky in Your World?'

"Nautilus is a UK quartet of guitars, keyboards, drums, and bass. They play excellent instrumental music that is a melodic version of mid-period King Crimson, if you know what I mean. King Crimson can be very edgy and difficult to listen to at times. Nautilus has learned from the masters, smoothed these dark edges to create a sound only reminiscent of KC while injecting their music a unique blend of originality, inventiveness, and musicianship. The guitars, keys, drums, and bass complement each other as the music changes mood and pace throughout each track. There are lots of interesting musical ideas popping up all over the place. This CD is quite an enjoyable listen and Nautilus is definitely a neo-prog band to watch. Since it has taken a while for Nautilus to submit their CD to Exposé for review, it may now be difficult and/or expensive to purchase a new copy."

Andy Thompson on Planet Mellotron: both albums

"Nautilus are that rarest of things, a decent modern British progressive band, who don't sound like the b*****d sons of a satanic Marillion/Pendragon pairing twenty(-something) years on. I'm not going to pretend the Kent-based quartet are up there with the best Swedish and Italian bands of the last couple of decades (sorry, chaps), but both their albums to date are very listenable affairs indeed. The first of these, What Colours the Sky in Your World?, was released by the band in 2004, then picked up by Brit-prog label Cyclops and reissued two years later. It's all-instrumental (hurrah!), slotting into a vaguely Crimson/UK vein, top tracks including opener Doors To The Dark Room and Halloween Factory. Keys man Paul Blewitt adds samplotron strings (notably to closer 'Release') and choir here and there, rarely that overtly, more in a 'just another sound' kind of way, which is probably the best approach when using samples. Take heed, M-Tron over-users...

Cyclops' Malcolm Parker advised the band to add vocals to 2008's Fathom, as this apparently bumps up sales. Not feeling up to tackling the job themselves, someone brought forth '70s pop bloke, bit-part actor and friend of/collaborator with Freddie Mercury, Peter Straker to do the job. Well, he can sing, but whether he was actually the right man for the job is a matter for conjecture; his voice is rather too close to Broadway for my liking, stirring unwelcome memories of Rick Wakeman's taste in singers. I'm not sure if it's the unwelcome vocal intrusions, but the material seems less punchy this time round, with the honourable exception of (instrumental) closer Cadaver, which isn't to say the rest of it's bad, just possibly not as good as previously. More Blewitt samplotron, notably the strident strings on Heart Of Darkness and the background choirs on a few tracks."

KinesisCD on Discogs: 'Fathom'

"After an instrumental debut, the second Nautilus album Fathom includes some songs with vocals featuring guest singer Peter Straker. Straker has an early 1970s style voice, not surprising since he’s been singing professionally since the late 1960s. This album is a step up in all aspects. The keyboards (mostly organ) are more prominent, filling out the sound, and the vocals add another dimension. The album seems less spacey but is still dark and quirky, with some suggestions of early British hard rock. Often it feels close to 1970s King Crimson but with the addition of organ. An excellent early 1970s sounding album that retains a distinctive style."

There was another brief thread featuring the band in January 2007 here: https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33418, where Turion said about 'What Colours the Sky in Your World?': "Great instrumental band, bought their CD through GFT" (GFT was the mail order department of Cyclops Records).

With the Heavy Prog team consisting of just two members at the time of the evaluation, a single 'no' vote was always going to throw this band out, and I don't consider this to have been a fair evaluation at all. There seems to have been a fair delay between the first 'yes' vote being cast and the second 'no', so I'm left wondering if this wasn't a very close decision anyway in the end.

There are full samples of both albums on YouTube and Spotify, so although there is no fresh material available to meet the normal PA re-evaluation criteria, I'm asking if the team could perhaps take another look at this one (or maybe see if Eclectic might consider them...?) Embarrassed

Edit: Here's the first part of the apps79 review of the first album on RYM, which will be useful for the biography if it is agreed to allow another evaluation to take place:

"The saga of this British Prog band from Canterbury begins in late 2003 with its formation by keyboardist Paul Blewitt, drummer Darryl Finch, guitarist Andy Challinor and bassist Rob Tyson. The rehearsals for the recording of a full-length album start in January 2004 at Courtfield Recorders in Ashbury, Kent, with material written by Blewitt and Challinor. The band would spent 8 months in the studio and finished the recordings before the end of summer 04', eventually their debut ''What Colours the Sky in Your World?'' was released the same year on Cyclops."

Nautilus on AwesomeProg: https://awesomeprog.com/artists/14076.
Nautilus on Proggnosis, where they say: Genre: SubGenre - Style: Influenced by King Crimson Red Era (Prog): https://www.proggnosis.com/Artist/7574.
Nautilus on Soundcloud, from where the above band photo is taken: https://soundcloud.com/nautilus-uk.

Edited by yam yam - January 29 2024 at 18:49
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2024 at 01:27
Ok we will evaluate them again with 2 new members onboard.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

yam yam View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2024 at 13:46
^ Much appreciated Louis, thanks! Thumbs Up
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic, JRF/Canterbury, Avant/Zeuhl

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 09:13
 Post Reply Post Reply