Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [40.00%]
24 [60.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 18:17
Bruford may not have been the best drummer, just the most distinctive. So many drummers sound . . . similar. Bill's sound is immediately recognizable and his way of play with off-tempo beats make me aware of all of the space within the music--which I love. Steve Jansen is the only other drummer I've heard whose style remains as distinctive to me.  

Like others in this poll, I have usually enjoyed the music on which Gavin plays more than the music that Marco has played on. I don't really have an assessment or judgment on either insofar as their competency or proficiency. In my opinion, they're more like the pack, like Peart; not unique or distinctive like Bruford or Jansen or Nettermalm.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 21:23
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I am missing a ‘both’ option. I like them just about equally.
They do both play that ‘technique-over-sheer-feel’ which is a common trait found in prague-land, and I much prefer it the other way around these days. I prefer ex Porcupine Tree drummer Chris Maitland to both actually although he probably is a tad or two beneath them in technical prowess.
Tastes differ

I do love the drumming on Coma Divine more than any drumming I have heard from the Harrison era albums of PT.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 22:13
Marco gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 05:46
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Bruford may not have been the best drummer, just the most distinctive. So many drummers sound . . . similar. Bill's sound is immediately recognizable and his way of play with off-tempo beats make me aware of all of the space within the music--which I love. Steve Jansen is the only other drummer I've heard whose style remains as distinctive to me.  

Moerlen!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 07:17
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Moerlen!

There are many more who sound distinctive.  Collins is another, so is Palmer.  Peart.  Whole bunch of rock drummers from Bonham to Moon to Paice to Ward.  Depends how much you can distinguish the nuance.  Had you asked me 10 years back, I would have said Petrucci/Yngwie/Satch sound alike to me.  Not anymore.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 08:35
Oh yeah lots of distinctive sounding drummers in prog...though we tend to talk about the same 6, which is a little disheartening, when you’ve got folks such as:

Jerzy Piotrowski (SBB)
Giulio Capiozzo (Area)
Mani Neumeier (Guru Guru)
Jaki Liebezeit (Can)
Christian Burchard (Embryo)
Christian Vander (Magma)
Peter Leopold (Amon Düül ll)

..the list literally goes on but this will have to suffice.
The above mentioned drummers are DRUMMERS to this somewhat crazy Dane whereas most of the typical prog heroes are timekeepers. They’re too “trained” and technical to go outside of what they know...and you get the same old fireworks in small portions...and then a timekeeper.
Granted, I’ve heard snippets of what can only be described as ‘going outside the beat’ by the big heroes ie Bruford on Fractured (something he learned from Muir btw), Gavin on PTs Nil Recurring - What Happens Now?, Marco (almost) on Regret 9..and so forth...but compared to the ones I mentioned above, it feels forced and like a thing that sort of happened and if they’d had their way, they’d most likely go back and erase the ‘mistakes’.
Again this is very much my own opinion and I gather most prog fans feel the exact opposite.

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 16 2019 at 10:47
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 08:44
Vander is a beast.  Clap  There used to be a sizable contingent of Vander/Magma fans on here, gone the way of the dodo it would appear.  Among modern drummers, I love Paul Seidel of The Ocean.  I think they would be a very different (lot less lively) band without him as his creative fills keep what is otherwise intense but slow/mid tempo post metal interesting.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 09:23

Oh yeah lots of distinctive sounding drummers in prog...though we tend to talk about the same 6, which is a little disheartening, when you’ve got folks such as:

Jerzy Piotrowski (SBB)
Giulio Capiozzo (Area)
Mani Neumeier (Guru Guru)
Jaki Liebezeit (Can)
Christian Burchard (Embryo)
Christian Vander (Magma)
Peter Leopold (Amon Düül ll)

..the list literally goes on but this will have to suffice.
The above mentioned drummers and DRUMMERS to this somewhat crazy Dane whereas most of the typical prog heroes are timekeepers. They’re too “trained” and technical to go outside of what they know...and you get the same old fireworks in small portions...and then a timekeeper.
Granted, I’ve heard snippets of what can only be described as ‘going outside the beat’ by the big heroes ie Bruford on Fractured (something he learned from Muir btw), Gavin on PTs Nil Recurring - What Happens Now?, Marco (almost) on Regret 9..and so forth...but compared to the ones I mentioned above, it feels forced and like a thing that sort of happened and if they’d had their way, they’d most likely go back and erase the ‘mistakes’.
Again this is very much my own opinion and I gather most prog fans feel the exact opposite.

Marco has 18 solo albums. Have you listened to any all the way through? How about 24 Tales with Alex Machacek which is a 50 minute drum solo (one take) that Alex wrote music for. How about his work with The Aristocrats, or Dewa Budjana's last release. He 'goes outside the beat' a lot and none of it is forced. Who are the same 6 drummers you mention being discussed all the time and is Marco on that list?

I bet most people discussing this topic have heard only snippets of Marco's huge output of music. I feel the majority who voted and voiced their opinion have not even heard one of his solo albums. Finally, I have not heard all Gavin's solo releases, but Sanity & Gravity was pretty weak. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 09:53
I’ve seen Marco live some 5 times now with Steven Wilson, The Aristocrats as well as having heard a good number of his solo output (5 albums I believe). That is why I wrote what I wrote.
Also why I mention that this is my own opinion and very much a question of taste

I am (or used to be) a drummer and I know what I like in my wardrobe

Marco and Gavin are not that talked about tbh and I’m thrilled to see a poll about them. I just tend to prefer other drummers
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 10:58
Fair enough. But you said Marco does not "go outside the beat" and if he does it feels forced. I don't agree with that at all.  

Cheers mate.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 11:26
How about Gavin vs Chris Maitland? TongueLOL 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 13:49

I’ve seen Marco live some 5 times now with Steven Wilson, The Aristocrats as well as having heard a good number of his solo output (5 albums I believe). That is why I wrote what I wrote.
Also why I mention that this is my own opinion and very much a question of taste

I am (or used to be) a drummer and I know what I like in my wardrobe

Marco and Gavin are not that talked about tbh and I’m thrilled to see a poll about them. I just tend to prefer other drummers

It's weird that one guy talks about 30/40 or more albums by Marco, and he has not heard ... let's try this ... 25 by Mani, 25 by Leopold, 35 by Jaki, 30 by Moerlin, and this guy has not heard a drummer that does not make a fuss about things, by the name of Eroc ... one of my favorite jokes about drummers ... most people count 8 or 16 to a transition, and Eroc started his transition for the song last week! ... and I do not think that this particular poster has any idea what it is like to play "outside the box", similar to the comment by Mani Neumeier about playing drums ... I don't play rhythm ... I play with the guitar up front! And, honestly, I have nothing against Marco or Gavin, but they don't even belong in the upper class at all ... they may have a bit more fame ... but not the quality of the work ... You really think that this guy EVER gave a Mani a chance? Or any of the ones you listed?

AND, we haven't even gotten to some African and Brazilian drummers yet, and we can start with Airto!

Nahhhh ... that guy does not have ears for music, I don't think ... just for his favorite .... whatever!

BTW, it's a shame that we're discussing 2nd line drummers ... because in many ways Steve Gadd would be above just about all of these ... in fact, I think SW's music would be much better ... but he doesn't want someone better than him is my guess.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 14:29
I agree that a lot of drummers are quite distinctive, but I'd also agree that Bruford is one of the most distinctive in some ways (excellent odd-meter playing but with a minimum of flash, the unique snare hit sound he tends to have etc).

His beats tend to be quite similar across tempos and genres (especially later on) but they also tend to be instantly recognizable as him.

I'd actually say that  the modern-era prog drummers tend to be less instantly recognizable than the average 70s prog drummer.

Also, when it comes to my listening tastes, it's rare that the more modern drummers suddenly become MVPs for me. The 70s players tend to be the majority of my favourites (bar a few more prominent in the 80s like Coliauta, though he isn't even top range for me - his work with  Zappa in the 80s was amongst some of the peak drumming support of Frank's solos though!)

A lot of modern proggers, I'd say, stick to a pretty safe beat (i.e. a lot of prog metal drummers a la Ayreon) or try to overcomplicate things only to lose perfect time (even the drummer from Echolyn sometimes shows this, imo).

Playing with complexity in perfect time is exceedingly difficult, and again Bruford eschewed some of the complexity for better odd-meter precision. You can even hear in his live KC stuff that sometimes he had to cut back on the complexity to keep up - Phil would do sometimes do the same in early Genesis, as you can hear on Nursery Cryme in particular (some parts of Musical Box/Hogweed etc).

Actually a good example of keeping up some good tom fills during the faster parts on Hogweed can be heard in the Transatlantic cover - I guess that's a good example of what I consider to be good playing from a more recent prog drummer! (Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater)

MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 00:48
It probably doesn't add much to he discussion on the technical aspects of rock drumming but I've never heard anyone play better than Keith Moon in general.
In the seventies Carl Palmer dominated the prog polls and really around 1973-74 was untouchable.
I would also stick Jon Hiseman into the discussion as well and certainly the best British jazz rock drummer in my estimation. Bruford (like Collins and Hiseman) were less from a rock background so lacked the sheer physical aggression in their playing that Palmer, Bonham and Moon had. Talking very different schools of drumming though. Peart has always been my personal favourite because he seems to straddle these worlds very well.
BTW its funny that Mosh goes on ad nauseum about respecting artist choices and then suggests that Wilson should have used Steve Gadd as his drummer. I think he did just fine with Marco thank you!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 01:46
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Fair enough. But you said Marco does not "go outside the beat" and if he does it feels forced. I don't agree with that at all.  

Cheers mate.

No worries
This site as well as any music site out there would be incredibly boring if we all shared the same affinities for sound.
I am a messy thinker, painter, dancer and all around laissez-faire type of dude which seems to correspond well with the things I go for in life.

- Douglas Adams
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 07:51
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It probably doesn't add much to he discussion on the technical aspects of rock drumming but I've never heard anyone play better than Keith Moon in general.
In the seventies Carl Palmer dominated the prog polls and really around 1973-74 was untouchable.
I would also stick Jon Hiseman into the discussion as well and certainly the best British jazz rock drummer in my estimation. Bruford (like Collins and Hiseman) were less from a rock background so lacked the sheer physical aggression in their playing that Palmer, Bonham and Moon had. Talking very different schools of drumming though. Peart has always been my personal favourite because he seems to straddle these worlds very well.
BTW its funny that Mosh goes on ad nauseum about respecting artist choices and then suggests that Wilson should have used Steve Gadd as his drummer. I think he did just fine with Marco thank you!

Moon was great at really feeling the music and throwing in some dank fills, but he was all over the place in terms of staying in time - to Entwistle's great frustration. He also had a Ringo moment when he couldn't get one of the fills in Quadrophenia (the title instrumental, i believe) and in the live shows Townsend would have to guide him with outsize hand gestures lol.

But luckily I don't care too much about strict time, so I like Moon well enough. Even B says the obsession with perfect time got ridiculous in the 80s, because they started measuring it for BPM, while also drastically decreasing acceptable rock beats to begin with.

But having heard B's live stuff, I'd say he's easily one of the best rock drummers I've ever heard at keeping accurate time. That being said, he'd be the first to say if you want to hear real drumming you need to listen to jazz, because according to him virtually anything novel in rock drumming is owed to that genre or another.

Edited by Howard the Duck - August 17 2019 at 11:51
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 18:10
What about a Steven Wilson vs Paul Gilbert poll, that would be interesting.
As Paul has played with Marco on some ocations
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 21:02
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

What about a Steven Wilson vs Paul Gilbert poll, that would be interesting.
As Paul has played with Marco on some ocations

Eh,wouldn't go very far either way. As a songwriter, Wilson is way better than Gilbert and a guitarist Gilbert is another league altogether compared to Wilson.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 06:43
I must admit I do not know much of their material. Have seen Marco in the auditions for DT and also in the video of the UK Reunion in Japan. As for Gavin I have heard quite much of his stuff with PT and seen him live twice with KC.

And for what I've seen I am voting for Gavin, I think his playing is more "educated" than Marco's who has a more visceral style.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 00:36
Originally posted by Howard the Duck Howard the Duck wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Moon was great at really feeling the music and throwing in some dank fills, but he was all over the place in terms of staying in time - to Entwistle's great frustration. He also had a Ringo moment when he couldn't get one of the fills in Quadrophenia (the title instrumental, i believe) and in the live shows Townsend would have to guide him with outsize hand gestures lol.

But luckily I don't care too much about strict time, so I like Moon well enough. Even B says the obsession with perfect time got ridiculous in the 80s, because they started measuring it for BPM, while also drastically decreasing acceptable rock beats to begin with.

But having heard B's live stuff, I'd say he's easily one of the best rock drummers I've ever heard at keeping accurate time. That being said, he'd be the first to say if you want to hear real drumming you need to listen to jazz, because according to him virtually anything novel in rock drumming is owed to that genre or another.

Yep Moon was not exactly reliable but I still see him as a genius of drumming. This was undermined by his antics and determination to live the rock n roll style to the hilt and that became what defined him unfortunately.

I don't really listen to much Jazz at all ( a little bit of Buddy Rich but that is only very occasional) . Yeah Bruford is impressive although I've no idea in my head of whether he is keeping perfect time or not or even whether that is important. I remember Carl Palmer stating in the 90's that he always tried to play ahead of the 'beat' to give the music a more dynamic edge and that was his 'thing'. As I said before I tend to think Peart was the greatest prog drummer. He could do anything but that's just a feeling. I could watch and listen to him play Tom Sawyer all day , I really could!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>