16 [40.00%]
24 [60.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marco Minnemann vs Gavin Harrison
    Posted: April 14 2020 at 18:26
Both are absolutely fantastic. Harrison is my personal choice.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 17:25
Gavin - the one-stage jokes during technical breaks edged it for me! Young Craig Blundell is catching up to these two gods though......
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 12:49
Both are great players . I think Gavin's style is a little more melodic & tasty so I went with him. 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 09:57
Gavin  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 10:06
Your answer was generous... What can I get from that ?

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Machine Gun is a fine example methinks

Machine Gun played live has a lot of fireworks guns which have the taste of power, liberty... Next to his Tax Free surprizing solo in Winterland my fav hendrix is Wild Thing, because it reminds me of a heavy slow rendering of La Bamba, as if Ritchie Valens and his combo had fallen into a pool full of tar, I found that amazing. 

OH I should show an GCHB song that sounds like "Tea for Two" has undergone a similar treatment

When great drummers are merely timekeepers they don’t add any ‘music’ to the music...they become metronomes that count out the time on which the other musicians can fiddle around with melodies and such... 

When drummers play with our expectations and move their beats before and after what we'd thought they'd play, then there's something emotional available for the listener, even if it was all planned. There are hurdles colours, landscapes painted. They'd tease, refrain from playing rim shots, of fill-ins, then we'd expect, a AAAH they fill-in ! I don't get that with a metronome. Some yogi masters might. 

Like I said, go listen to some of the cats I mentioned earlier or just Maghine Gun off Jimi and apply such frivolous activities to drumming and it’ll probably far better explain my point than me going on and on and on until I get sucked up by a musical black hole (should be interesting nonetheless)

Jerzy Piotrowski doesn't sound frivolous, it seems he's happy with good old funk-jazz beats, a good timekeeper also. Definitely not like Hendrix taking off on Machine Gun LOL

I understand this: Minnemann shouldn't tour with a band where everybody's so laid back he cannot find one single opportunity to deliver his hard learnt magic patterns, even if the music is somptuous.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 09:20

Well mistakes are not exactly mistakes when played right
Think of Jimi Hendrix who is playing all the wrong notes at the wrong time...yet making everything sound utterly fantastic. Machine Gun is a fine example methinks....anyway that also exist in the drumming world...but it takes a man/woman who is nonchalant enough to utilise his/her “mistakes” (see what I did there...again ) and make something wholly different out of them.

Hi,

In one of Peter Brook's books (The Empty Space -- also The Open Door -- and if you get that far Between Two Silences) ... there is a comment about those kinds of things ... there is no such thing as a "mistake" ... because if you treat it differently than the rest of the music, you have ruined the completeness of the piece.

This was one of the reasons why I was always having fun in rehearsal with actors, because I would walk in with a vacuum cleaner, a broom, a cassette player playing Faust, a bunch of sound effects ... favorite being the sound of glass breaking, or 100 dishes falling to the floor! ... and the IDEA  and the POINT was ... that you DID NOT BREAK THE CONCENTRATION and even tried to bring it in if it was possible ... so you can see how dishes breaking would be far out in the middle of a George and Martha scream out ... or the sound of a dog howling while Marlon is trying to scream STELLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAA!

People like Jimi are somewhat misunderstood, because people have a tendency to think he was just stoned senseless to do his insane act on stage, and almost no one can see ... there is a method to what he does ... it's as if he is looking for a specific something or other that will click ... and sure enough, when you hear the National Anthem, you realize how valuable all the noise was and where it took him ... for him, that was his new religion ... his bible so to speak ... but noooooooo ... we continue thinking about something else and not realize to some actors and folks ... that is an opportunity to add to the whole ... and they do because they are "tuned" to it, and you can NOT break their concentration ... Daevid Allen used to talk about that a lot! Except that he said for fun, was very different!

Edited by moshkito - April 14 2020 at 15:18
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 07:39
Originally posted by axeman axeman wrote:

• Marco over Gavin
  • Buford over Peart

Bruford over Minnemann?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 22:38
Well mistakes are not exactly mistakes when played right
Think of Jimi Hendrix who is playing all the wrong notes at the wrong time...yet making everything sound utterly fantastic. Machine Gun is a fine example methinks....anyway that also exist in the drumming world...but it takes a man/woman who is nonchalant enough to utilise his/her “mistakes” (see what I did there...again ) and make something wholly different out of them.
It’s actually very hard to explain, but when I hear it, fx through the drummers I mentioned earlier in this thread, it takes the music into another gear - changes the interplay in such a way that every musician involved has to step up their game and listen and do things...erm slightly different in order to make it fly...yet when it does it exceeds every firework-fill imaginable...again to these ears
When great drummers are merely timekeepers they don’t add any ‘music’ to the music...they become metronomes that count out the time on which the other musicians can fiddle around with melodies and such...but the rhythm remains that: a rhythm..instead of something musical that can egg on the other musicians involved to do something extraordinary and..gulp..dare I say it...progressive.
Doesn’t have to be avantgarde or crazy either - I’ve heard this in oh so many styles of music by now, so I know it’s not something that only exists in weird and purposely ‘difficult-music’....but when all that is said and done, I DO hear it mostly in jazz. Also the reason why I think that many musicians tend to think of the great jazz drummers as being the absolute bee’s kness regarding human beats delivery...they just don’t know what the final ingredient is...and if you tell them it has to do with playing the ‘mistakes’ - actually seeking them out and just going with them...well they’ll look at you with a slightly contentious look, methinks.

Another way of looking at it is this: play around with yourself for too long and all your left with is “perfection” - the ‘right’ way of following a beat/playing guitar/sax/bass/flute...because there are rules and meters and stuff that goes together in ways that have been written down for centuries. You just can’t unlearn that, when it first is in your head. Impossible. No you need to out and hit your head hard and discover that some of the most beautiful things in life...stem from mistakes. Nature’s like that too - all the really orgiastic over-the-moon-beautiful things in life...tend to happen on a fluke - a sudden julp in the old heartbeat. All it takes is a musician that can take hold of that - harness it - and let it lose within the framework of the band. Then it becomes something wholly other than a ‘mistake’. It becomes otherworldly music.
Alright enough of the mystics in here. Like I said, go listen to some of the cats I mentioned earlier or just Maghine Gun off Jimi and apply such frivolous activities to drumming and it’ll probably far better explain my point than me going on and on and on until I get sucked up by a musical black hole (should be interesting nonetheless)

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 20 2019 at 22:39
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 15:34

whereas most of the typical prog heroes are timekeepers.

Hello ! I confess you're remaining a mysterious man to me, and I still feel far from being able to see the World on "virtual Guldbamsen" mode. 

Now I wouldn't exclude that, while those "timekeepers" would avoid switching off their rational control software and let their inner beast do the job through the music jungle, risking mistakes in concerts, they might welcome "happy mistakes" in rehearsals and incorporate them into their vocabulary – wouldn't it otherwise be hard to explain how they'd deliver so many various ... Fireworks elements (that will bring that funny yet contagious complacent smile on their faces when they deliver them) ?
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 11:10
  • Marco over Gavin
  • Buford over Peart

Edited by axeman - August 20 2019 at 11:11
-John
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 17:59
Gavin. Both are quite skilled, yet I find Harrison's style more classy.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 14:33
Marco but it's a matter of opinion. They're both amazing!

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 14:11
^No problem with that... Mr Gilbert doesn't spoil anything there ! LOL
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 13:48
^ it is Paul Gilbert on guitar
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 13:30
^ Woo-hooshh nice one !!

I really wish Minnemann will have all his great rythm tapestries blossom in his compositions – I miss that from what I know. Harrison has taken better advantage of what he'd discovered in that regard

Edited by jayem - August 19 2019 at 14:48
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 10:36
A video showing Marcos playing in full form and glory https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yfXeO_Ff_Wc

Edited by Icarium - August 19 2019 at 10:37
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 00:36
Originally posted by Howard the Duck Howard the Duck wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It probably doesn't add much to he discussion on the technical aspects of rock drumming but I've never heard anyone play better than Keith Moon in general.
In the seventies Carl Palmer dominated the prog polls and really around 1973-74 was untouchable.
I would also stick Jon Hiseman into the discussion as well and certainly the best British jazz rock drummer in my estimation. Bruford (like Collins and Hiseman) were less from a rock background so lacked the sheer physical aggression in their playing that Palmer, Bonham and Moon had. Talking very different schools of drumming though. Peart has always been my personal favourite because he seems to straddle these worlds very well.
BTW its funny that Mosh goes on ad nauseum about respecting artist choices and then suggests that Wilson should have used Steve Gadd as his drummer. I think he did just fine with Marco thank you!

Moon was great at really feeling the music and throwing in some dank fills, but he was all over the place in terms of staying in time - to Entwistle's great frustration. He also had a Ringo moment when he couldn't get one of the fills in Quadrophenia (the title instrumental, i believe) and in the live shows Townsend would have to guide him with outsize hand gestures lol.

But luckily I don't care too much about strict time, so I like Moon well enough. Even B says the obsession with perfect time got ridiculous in the 80s, because they started measuring it for BPM, while also drastically decreasing acceptable rock beats to begin with.

But having heard B's live stuff, I'd say he's easily one of the best rock drummers I've ever heard at keeping accurate time. That being said, he'd be the first to say if you want to hear real drumming you need to listen to jazz, because according to him virtually anything novel in rock drumming is owed to that genre or another.

Yep Moon was not exactly reliable but I still see him as a genius of drumming. This was undermined by his antics and determination to live the rock n roll style to the hilt and that became what defined him unfortunately.

I don't really listen to much Jazz at all ( a little bit of Buddy Rich but that is only very occasional) . Yeah Bruford is impressive although I've no idea in my head of whether he is keeping perfect time or not or even whether that is important. I remember Carl Palmer stating in the 90's that he always tried to play ahead of the 'beat' to give the music a more dynamic edge and that was his 'thing'. As I said before I tend to think Peart was the greatest prog drummer. He could do anything but that's just a feeling. I could watch and listen to him play Tom Sawyer all day , I really could!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 06:43
I must admit I do not know much of their material. Have seen Marco in the auditions for DT and also in the video of the UK Reunion in Japan. As for Gavin I have heard quite much of his stuff with PT and seen him live twice with KC.

And for what I've seen I am voting for Gavin, I think his playing is more "educated" than Marco's who has a more visceral style.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 21:02
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

What about a Steven Wilson vs Paul Gilbert poll, that would be interesting.
As Paul has played with Marco on some ocations

Eh,wouldn't go very far either way. As a songwriter, Wilson is way better than Gilbert and a guitarist Gilbert is another league altogether compared to Wilson.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 18:10
What about a Steven Wilson vs Paul Gilbert poll, that would be interesting.
As Paul has played with Marco on some ocations
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>