Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the most underrated studio Yes album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which do you feel is the most underrated studio Yes album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [7.89%]
9 [11.84%]
15 [19.74%]
10 [13.16%]
7 [9.21%]
4 [5.26%]
5 [6.58%]
1 [1.32%]
3 [3.95%]
2 [2.63%]
2 [2.63%]
3 [3.95%]
5 [6.58%]
1 [1.32%]
3 [3.95%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the most underrated studio Yes album?
    Posted: August 23 2019 at 18:04
Underrated among prog fans or hardcore Yes fans. In other words which one do you feel doesn't get the attention it deserves. Studio albums only please.

Also, I made my choice of selections mostly by the ratings from the Yes page on here. I tried to include those which made the most sense that someone would vote for. There's one that I probably should have left off(and I'd be surprised if it didn't win this poll)but I threw it in anyway. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 24 2019 at 13:31
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 19:02
I really don't have much of an opinion (can only really talk from my limited experience and personal taste) as I'm only into fairly early Yes and haven't paid huge attention to how others value many of the albums, but I voted for the transitional Time and a Word. It only has a slightly higher rating than the self-titled debut both at PA and RYM, but is an album that I find more mature, stronger and less naive than the debut (I do like the debut too considerably). Time and a Word is an album that I rate higher than others with whom I've had discussions with at this site.   Personally, I put it over Close to the Edge, but that's my taste (I like the psych qualities of early Yes).

EDIT: Of course some would think that I am overrating Time and a Word and underrating Close to the Edge.

Edited by Logan - August 23 2019 at 19:33
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 19:31
Yes, Time And A Word, Tormato, Drama and 90125 are all excellent albums IMHO

I definately think they are underappreciated most likely because they are compared to the classics in between but taken into consideration under their own merits, wow!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 19:48
Tales is an awesome album that gets more flak than it deserves
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 20:04
^ oh, yeah! I guess i would definately vote for Tales. It's my favorite YES album but not very many others'

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 20:57
I want to say that I really only think 90125 is under appreciated by the long time Yes fans and hardcore prog fans. Don't most prog fans listen to other music besides the most pure full blown prog rock? No reason not to like it. Same thing with the first Asia album but that's a whole other discussion.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 21:03
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I really don't have much of an opinion (can only really talk from my limited experience and personal taste) as I'm only into fairly early Yes and haven't paid huge attention to how others value many of the albums, but I voted for the transitional Time and a Word. It only has a slightly higher rating than the self-titled debut both at PA and RYM, but is an album that I find more mature, stronger and less naive than the debut (I do like the debut too considerably). Time and a Word is an album that I rate higher than others with whom I've had discussions with at this site.   Personally, I put it over Close to the Edge, but that's my taste (I like the psych qualities of early Yes).

EDIT: Of course some would think that I am overrating Time and a Word and underrating Close to the Edge.

The majority of prog fans and Yes fans worship CTTE(not that it doesn't deserve it)so I think you are safe. For me personally though I don't really hear any psych on T&AW and hear only very little on the debut. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 21:15
For me, I guess Union. It may have it's flaws, but it does have a few really great songs that I really love, but it's generally really hated.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 21:21
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ oh, yeah! I guess i would definately vote for Tales. It's my favorite YES album but not very many others'

It is awesome! It's my number 3, of course Close to the Edge is the perfect prog album, and Relayer is a very special album to me, but I always enjoy spinning tales
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 21:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The majority of prog fans and Yes fans worship CTTE(not that it doesn't deserve it)so I think you are safe. For me personally though I don't really hear any psych on T&AW and hear only very little on the debut. 

I hear psych leanings, and find it reminiscent in part of a 60s psych scene, but different minds associate differently. "Then" is my favourite track on the album, and I hear a psych influence there for instance. There's some psychy jam, or peanut butter and jelly stuff to my ears.   I'm safe from the CttE crowd because they tend to be all at sea (on Cruise to the Edge or just plain confused to the edge). ;) I kid.
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 22:45
The first two are quite good and quite underrated. I'd even argue the Yes Album gets overlooked compared to Fragile or CCTE, despite having two of their best all-time tracks.

Drama seems to have its fans so it's not really overrated (and I personally think it's much stronger than the previous two). Tormato I'd say is a middling album only. The Ladder has only one really good track. Magnification gets a lot of shout-outs (and rightly so, probably - compared to some of the others) but a lot of the material is only average for me, so I don't consider it underrated. The two Keys albums (and/or the single compilation) have probably the highest percentage of quality latter-day studio material, but sometimes isn't mentioned as often as the next two best (Magnification and the Ladder at a distant third). I'd definitely say Fly from Here is underrated based on the few reviews here on the site. I thought it was different, but I always tend to enjoy Horne's writing with Yes. I like both versions but the original has the edge for me with a (slightly) better vocalist than Horne for the material (and way better than anything Davison has done with them through his whole tenure).

Finally, ABWH only has one standout track for me (Brother of Mine). Their live albums are good but Squire is definitely missed (I don't think Berlin or Levin can really replace his sound) and Bruford's style at the time (80s KC Simmons drumset mode) was just completely ill-suited to the material (and when he can't bring himself to give a sh*t his performance really suffers.)

Everything else listed doesn't really interest me at all, other than Lonely Heart being a pretty decent pop rock single.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Tales - as others have said I think it has enough of a following to not be considered underrated, for what it was. Still think it would have done better as a single album though!

Edited by Howard the Duck - August 24 2019 at 07:10
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 23:36
Drama

a re-invention of prog for the eighties. Sleek, inventive and full of dynamics. However Buggles + Yes just was not marketable unfortunately!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 23:39
I voted for Tormato. I quite like that album and prefer it over Going For The One (which I also like). I also like 90125 but don't think it is viewed as negatively as Tormato (it seems to be accepted for what it is).

Edited by I prophesy disaster - August 23 2019 at 23:41
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 00:51
Tales is too often misunderstood, but it has its devotees.

Poor Tormato mostly cops an unfair beating though, so Tormato it is. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 02:08
TFTGO is still the single-most divisive, argument-driven record the band ever released...hence it gets my vote.

I was about to start another thread going over some of the dynamics in composition I think many miss on TFTGO; perhaps in the coming days?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 02:16

I pretty much agree with Greg here, which is not that uncommon now that I think of it

I think it’s pretty strange that Tales still gets refered to as being underrated when it in fact has an enormous following on here and just about everywhere else (prog circles of course!).
I don’t really like it all that much except for the first track, but that doesn’t necessarily make it underrated (a silly word anyway). I know of a lot of prog fans who feel Close to the Edge is a dud - even if it’s widely acclaimed for being one of the finest prog albums out there. Doesn’t diminish it’s importance and relevance in any way - just means that even prog fans have widely different tastes.
Albums are rated the way people rate them. Some like it hot others don’t.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 02:44
voted Big G.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 03:49
I had to vote for Tormato or for Union, two albums that get often bashed by the prog community, and even by band members themselves. Yet to me both contain some very good songs.

Finally voted for Tormato, I really like the album which is only hampered by a questionable choice of keyboard sounds, Wakeman was experimenting with novel instruments such as the RMI Keyboard Computer and the Birotron and those lacked the magnificence of the Hammond, Mellotron and Minimoog. It was a product of its time.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 04:44
I've gone for Fly From Here, it gets a lot of stick but I think it's pretty good.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 04:47
Never quite sure about the u- and o-word. So I don't only have to assess how I rate these albums but also how others rate them in order to tick the "underrated"-box?
Anyway, from my observation of Yes discussions in this forum I rate Going For The One higher than most others (in terms of within-Yes rankings; in terms of stars I'd probably not go up to 5, not the biggest Yes-fan here), so my vote goes to "other".
All the really low rated Yes albums don't do much for me, so I'm fine with their ratings.

Edited by Lewian - August 24 2019 at 04:48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>