33 [47.14%]
37 [52.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camel Debut vs Gentle Giant Debut
    Posted: October 03 2023 at 20:02
I'm the opposite of Logan (in comment above). I quite like the GG debut, but Camel's is more special to me.  Just LOVE Never let go and Mystic Queen in particular.
Z
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2023 at 17:21
I like Camel, but Gentle Giant's debut has been a more special album to me. And it is indeed is one of my favourite Gentle Giant albums. I don't like Gentle Giant being rear-ended by The Queen, but that really is my only complaint.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2023 at 16:37
Camels debut is excellent. If you don’t like Sixate, Mystic queen, Never let go then you shouldn’t be at prog archives
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2023 at 09:12
This one was really tough as both are great debuts, but today I went with Gentle Giant. 
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 18:19
both
Voted for Camel to fill the gap
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 16:55
Both.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 30 2023 at 16:56
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 03:19
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

'Giant is out finessed here. Camel sprang out of the gate with some enjoyable, satisfying jams on their debut. It would take 'Giant an album or two to refine their sound, IMHO.

I sometimes wonder if people forget that GG's debut included Alucard, Funny Ways and Nothing At All. These are classic prog tracks right off the bat. My guess is that fans will often refuse to accept that a debut album has some of the bands best material because it doesn't play into the popular narrrative of a band that is evolving. The debut has to be naive or a little rough around the edges. To me as the casual fan there is little difference between this and Acquiring The Taste in quality and orginality but the latter is always more highly rated.
I think the greatness starts right off the bat with the opening song. Giant for me is up there with their strongest material. Except for The Queen their debut is perfect to my ears.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 01:46
I know Gentle Giant fans will get the hump with me, but Camel wins easily in this poll. Smile
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 01:28
Gentle Giant.

I love both albums though! Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 22:45
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

'Giant is out finessed here. Camel sprang out of the gate with some enjoyable, satisfying jams on their debut. It would take 'Giant an album or two to refine their sound, IMHO.

I sometimes wonder if people forget that GG's debut included Alucard, Funny Ways and Nothing At All. These are classic prog tracks right off the bat. My guess is that fans will often refuse to accept that a debut album has some of the bands best material because it doesn't play into the popular narrrative of a band that is evolving. The debut has to be naive or a little rough around the edges. To me as the casual fan there is little difference between this and Acquiring The Taste in quality and orginality but the latter is always more highly rated.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 18:19
Like both, but I like the Camel debut better. I'm going to treat the cheese and milk to cheese and crackers.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 01:20
Camel 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 15:36
GG for me
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 09:11
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 14:21
Both are okay. I prefer Camel's debut by a hair.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 10:21
Gentle Giant, of course. Great debut in 1970!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 02:10
Both are less-than-stellar compared to their later releases, and both are two of my favorite prog bands ever, but...

Gentle Giant by a large margin on this one.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 20:18
Camel . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 13:43
I love GG debut. Their best album, imo. Don't consider Camel debut a great album.

So I voted for GG
"Happiness is real only when shared"
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 13:11
Both are decent debut lps.....GG, maybe..?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>