Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trick of the tail at the time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 09:43
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Relieved because of it's total accessibility. Something that was missing on the previous albums regardless of how good they were.

It's almost if its accessibility takes it down a notch for whatever reason these days.  But their writing was top notch on this album and their playing at its peak.  All well captured by brilliant production as well.  Overall, one of the best Genesis albums.  On this album, they effortlessly traverse through a variety of styles and throw melody, hooks, virtuosity all in plenty at you. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 14:53
My first reaction of Trick was killer album. And it still is.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 05:52
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Relieved because of it's total accessibility. Something that was missing on the previous albums regardless of how good they were.

It's almost if its accessibility takes it down a notch for whatever reason these days.  But their writing was top notch on this album and their playing at its peak.  All well captured by brilliant production as well.  Overall, one of the best Genesis albums.  On this album, they effortlessly traverse through a variety of styles and throw melody, hooks, virtuosity all in plenty at you. 
To clarify, I think there's a fine line between complexity and accessibility. Groups like Yes and Renaissance did well to exhibit both. Pre Collins Genesis? Not too much, I'm afraid.

Edited by SteveG - September 20 2019 at 05:52
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 06:52
Well. I got into Genesis first in the hot summer of 1976, aged 11. I had been exposed via my older brother since 1970 but really took no notice as he howled "Lilly white Lilith" to me as I played with Lego...Saw them live in 1977 at Earls court darn sarf...Was hooked straight away...but SEBTP and Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme have always been better than trick and Wuthering...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 07:13
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Well. I got into Genesis first in the hot summer of 1976, aged 11. I had been exposed via my older brother since 1970 but really took no notice as he howled "Lilly white Lilith" to me as I played with Lego...Saw them live in 1977 at Earls court darn sarf...Was hooked straight away...but SEBTP and Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme have always been better than trick and Wuthering...
In a strictly prog sense I agree.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 21:04
Heard Dance on a Volcano and was immediately impressed at how much better Genesis sounded. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 00:10

In a strictly prog sense I agree.

Apples and Oranges. There is no right or wrong with music. Lamb kicks pretty much beats everything if you just take the good bits. Genesis up to Trick were probably the most important and influential prog band although Tony Banks was never a great keyboard innovator like Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman which is why I need other stuff. Lyrically though they wiped the floor with almost everything bar VDGG and maybe Tull. It's just great that we don't have to subtract anything and can have it all!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 01:30
Here is my order of precedence...
1. England.
2. Foxtrot.
3. Cryme.
4. Lamb.
5. Trespass.
6. Wuthering
7. Tail.
The post 1977 releases are several magnitudes inferior obviously...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 06:33
When I heard "Trick of the Tail" for the first time, Phil Collins sounded so much like Peter Gabriel that it took me awhile to realise that Genesis had a new singer in the band. Smile
"Ripples" on the "Trick of the Tail" album is one of my favourite Genesis songs, although I much prefer Annie Haslam's (of Renaissance) version.

"From Genesis To Revelation" is my all-time favourite Genesis album, closely followed by "Selling England by the Pound".

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 21 2019 at 06:36
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 07:47

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

To clarify, I think there's a fine line between complexity and accessibility. Groups like Yes and Renaissance did well to exhibit both. Pre Collins Genesis? Not too much, I'm afraid.

Sure, I got that that's what you meant and was agreeing with you.  That is, that the accessibility of Trick of the tail is deceptive because it's still full fledged prog.
pussywillow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pussywillow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 12:56
Well I wasn't that keen at the time, mainly because I'd been brought up on the humour and lyrical adroitness of Selling England and the brilliance of The Lamb, and felt sad that Pete Gabriel had gone.

However I  soon got hooked on this and, along with my brother, we looked forward to the new direction the band was taking. I stayed onboard until And Then there were three, and jumped ship thereafter. For me, Trick of the Tail comes 3rd behind England and Lamb.
PussyWillow is the best distillation of the classic Tull formula, juxtaposing Anderson's gruff but expressive vocals and a strong, insistent melody bolstered by well-placed, crunchy guitar chords.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 03:53

Here is my order of precedence...
1. England.
2. Foxtrot.
3. Cryme.
4. Lamb.
5. Trespass.
6. Wuthering
7. Tail.
The post 1977 releases are several magnitudes inferior obviously...

1.Trick (5.0)
2.Fox (5.0)
3.Three (4.5)
4.Lamb (4.0)
5.Cryme (4.0)
6.Duke (3.5)
7.Selling (3.5)
8.Trespass (3.5)
9.Wind (3.5)  

The post 1977 1980 releases are several magnitudes inferior obviously.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 06:44
I find it strange that anybody would rate SEBTP so low. Admittedly more fool me is so sh*te it is the iceberg that holes the flawless titanic beneath the waterline...If you replaced that awful track with an extended Firth of Fifth you would put a country mile between that release and every other symphonic prog album ever made...

Edited by M27Barney - September 22 2019 at 06:45
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 08:04

I find it strange that anybody would rate SEBTP so low. Admittedly more fool me is so sh*te it is the iceberg that holes the flawless titanic beneath the waterline...If you replaced that awful track with an extended Firth of Fifth you would put a country mile between that release and every other symphonic prog album ever made...

Am I the only person that doesn’t think more fool me is bad, I’d say after the ordeal is the “worst” track if I HAD to chose one
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 08:45
After the ordeal could also be replaced by an even more extended opening track...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 21:00
My college roommate, Wayne, detested Gabriel-era Genesis, so I used to enjoy taunting him with it.  When "Voyage of the Acolyte" came out, I played it for him and he really enjoyed it!  I pointed out that most of the players were from Genesis, and he just went *harummph!* or some such. 

I wanted to spring "Trick" on him, but he heard it before I could get my hands on him....predictably, he not only became a huge fan of TOTT, but of all Genesis, including Gabriel's era.  It was quite hilarious!  

I only saw Genesis on their ATTWT tour, which was excellent (with Wayne, of course!).  Seeing them with Bruford would have been quite amazing! 

Edited by cstack3 - September 22 2019 at 22:52
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 23:51

not really paying attention ..you know how much I hate Epping Forest LOL . More Fool Me doesn't fit well either and I Know What I like is just boring. On top of that the live version of Cinema Show is so much better. Dancing With The Moonlit Knight and Firth Of Fifth though are great and rescue the album.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 01:29
Epping Forest was an instrumental peice that gabriel then added the lyrics to. Perhaps there is too much going on for some people. But as prog lyrics go I think that Gabriel nails the zeitgeist of sixties gangland culture. Fine comedic social comment. Banks and collins tried to do the same with Robbery, Assault n Battery...but fail miserably...After Harold the Barrel, the lyrics in battle are the best comedy lyrics Genesis did...

Edited by M27Barney - September 23 2019 at 01:30
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 05:04
I think I was 7 when it came out, so I wasn't aware of the band at all, in any incarnation.

I didn't hear Trick until around 1985. It remains my favourite Genesis album. Brilliant.

I'd heard Trick, ATTWT and Genesis (Shapes) before I heard any Gabriel era stuff. I heard the Lamb next, and my mind was completely blown, and The Lamb remains joint second fave with Foxtrot I guess.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 06:30
I was 19 years old at the time ATOTT was released. First, I was glad to see that Genesis had carried on as a band. Popular sentiment at the time was that they could not survive the loss of Peter Gabriel. Second, the album itself was great. Not only did they survive, they actually thrived. My favorite Genesis album to this day. 
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>