Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trick of the tail at the time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 10:28
The title track is very poor. And I feel that some of the tracks could be improved with extension and reprise of the musical motifs. Not better than any of the four albums that precedes it...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 23:49
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Epping Forest was an instrumental peice that gabriel then added the lyrics to. Perhaps there is too much going on for some people. But as prog lyrics go I think that Gabriel nails the zeitgeist of sixties gangland culture. Fine comedic social comment. Banks and collins tried to do the same with Robbery, Assault n Battery...but fail miserably...After Harold the Barrel, the lyrics in battle are the best comedy lyrics Genesis did...

Agree about Robbery, Assault and Battery although it is the only low point for me on Trick (although I mentioned I love the drumming before so that is something at least) . Nothing on Epping Forest much appeals to me. It starts promisingly enough but as soon as the 'posh vicar' pipes up I just switch off. It does make me think that you can hide a multitude of sins in prog by just extending songs by 6 minutes! They did estue the long form approach on Lamb and that works brilliantly apart from the weird psyche stuff on Waiting Room. Trick was powerful and to the point and knew its boundaries. W&W ( weaker than Trick imo) was their last attempt at Symph prog but they were obviously not alone in moving away from long tracks towards the back end of the eighties. However they could make it work for a while then the 80's fried everyone's brain for a while. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 02:05

The title track is very poor. And I feel that some of the tracks could be improved with extension and reprise of the musical motifs. Not better than any of the four albums that precedes it...

The title track is amazing and quite witty (a bit like Counting Out Time).
Sure it isn't an epic, but I could've struck as a single as a minor hit (the lyrics are still too obtuse for mass consumption), if marketed properly.

Furthermore, TOTT had one of the best artwork ever, with that engraved cardboard gatefold sleeve and the amazing inner sleeve to slide the disc in.

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Epping Forest was an instrumental peice that gabriel then added the lyrics to. Perhaps there is too much going on for some people. But as prog lyrics go I think that Gabriel nails the zeitgeist of sixties gangland culture. Fine comedic social comment. Banks and collins tried to do the same with Robbery, Assault n Battery...but fail miserably...After Harold the Barrel, the lyrics in battle are the best comedy lyrics Genesis did...

Agree about Robbery, Assault and Battery although it is the only low point for me on Trick (although I mentioned I love the drumming before so that is something at least) . Nothing on Epping Forest much appeals to me. It starts promisingly enough but as soon as the 'posh vicar' pipes up I just switch off. It does make me think that you can hide a multitude of sins in prog by just extending songs by 6 minutes! They did estue the long form approach on Lamb and that works brilliantly apart from the weird psyche stuff on Waiting Room.  
RA&B is indeed a return to opera rock (multiple characters signing or speaking), something they'd done ever since Harold The Barrel, then Get Them Out By Friday, Epping Forest (and I Know What...) and a couple tracks on The Lamb....
And They would do the same on W&W with All In A Mouse's Night .... and to a lesser extent in One For The Vine.

In terms of humour, RA&B and Epping are definitely the funniest ones around. Even Zappa never managed to be as that witty , and Ian Anderson only succeeded successfully in Aqualung and TAAB (I gave up trying to understand APP)

Now of course, I've always thought that the "vicar on the prowl for Staffordshire plates" passage was somewhat interfering with the rest of the tune, but it is at least as equally funny as the gang warfare description, and it's quite a feat to include it gracefully and successfully inside the epic

Edited by Sean Trane - September 24 2019 at 02:22
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 03:35
Re the original question: Gabriel left Genesis when I was about 12 and just as I was getting into music. I was bigtime into Floyd and Hawkwind by 1975-76 in the calm before the punk storm, and I may have been aware that a band named Genesis existed, but it would be a year or two before I started paying attention to them.

This is how it happened from my POV. It's a bit back-to-front. 

At the start of 1977 I saw the clip for Peter Gabriel's 'Modern Love' and was utterly gobsmacked. I still am. It was an incredible song, especially as a proggish song coming out right at the birth of punk. So I immediately got the first Gabriel album (for some reason I remember getting the second album first, so maybe it wasn't immediate).  Then at the other end of the same year, Genesis had a sizeable hit in Australia with 'Follow you Follow Me'. This seemed a pleasant tune, but compared with 'Modern Love' seemed lightweight and hardly an auspicious introduction to the band in the year of The Sex Pistols and The Stranglers (it probably didn't help that there was an Abba single with a similar title).

I had just gotten into music as a prog fan, only to be enthused by new wave,  which left me with a permanent guilty feeling about prog (if you weren't there at the time you have no idea how hostile the music press was to it, and how desperately uncool it was to like anyone who's first album was from before 1976, unless it was the Velvet Underground) Genesis needed to be more not less edgy to capture my alegience.

But I did backtrack into the Genesis discography because of Gabriel. Loved nearly all the Gabriel albums to one extent or another. When I got to 'Trick of the tail', which was a couple of years old by then, it just seemed to lack any real edge to me, and it still does. I had friends who were nuts about it, but to me Genesis after Gabriel were never more than mildly interesting at best. I preferred 'Wind and Wuthering' (perhaps becasue nobody was telling me how great it was), but not by a lot. I had an uptick of interest when 'Duke' came out, but from memory by this time Gabriel had his amazing third album, and again, Genesis just sounded like a proggish pop band whereas Gabriel seemed both genuinely progressive and had a new-wavish edginess as well, in a similar way to Hammill (who I was discovering by now).

So this is probably not going to be popular, but to me, at the time, post-Gabriel Genesis were interesting but not exciting. By the mid 80's they weren't even interesting. By the 90's, neither was Gabriel.
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 04:38
I wrote

"if you weren't there at the time you have no idea how hostile the music press was to (prog)"

I should perhaps have been a bit more specific and said 'English music press', or even just got down to naming names: Melody Maker, and especially NME. These papers had a virtual stranglehold on what it was acceptable for a musically literate person to like in the late 70's in the UK and by extension
Australasia, and they were utter snobs, which is ironic since it was one of their main objections to prog.

Fripp still seems to have a major bee in his bonnet over this, if some of the later KC sleeve notes are any indication.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 11:07
The music industry have always been able to influence the gullible fashion following sheeples...The great rock and roll swindle of 1976 is just the instance which resonates with us as prog fans...

Edited by M27Barney - September 24 2019 at 11:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123