Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog epic cutting room

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog epic cutting room
    Posted: September 21 2019 at 11:06
Does us celebrating long tracks cost progressive bands a lot of money?

Basically an 20+ minutes song is almost always a collection of sub-songs and a reprise. During the mastering of an album bands decide to let a song be a single track or not (it can easily be cut in shorter songs without replay issues). Bands get paid per song (with a minimum playtime of 30 seconds) on digital media. So.. what do you guys think?
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 12:15
Personally, I prefer to listen to those long songs as a whole rather than little subsongs.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 12:40
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Does us celebrating long tracks cost progressive bands a lot of money?

Basically an 20+ minutes song is almost always a collection of sub-songs and a reprise. During the mastering of an album bands decide to let a song be a single track or not (it can easily be cut in shorter songs without replay issues). Bands get paid per song (with a minimum playtime of 30 seconds) on digital media. So.. what do you guys think?
Why aren't all digital albums split into 30-second tracks then?
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 12:48
Bands can always follow the King Crimson model, established on their debut album: dividing a long track into separate sub-headings within the song title ("Epitaph, including March For No Reason and Tomorrow and Tomorrow", so forth).

Said Robert Fripp: "The reason songs and pieces acquired separately titled sections...was so the group would get paid full publishing royalties on our American record sales"

But maybe that practice doesn't apply in our digital age?
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 14:44
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Personally, I prefer to listen to those long songs as a whole rather than little subsongs.
Ditto. It might cost them some money, but is their decision to make them that way, and is not our problem if we like them as such. 

Edited by Manuel - September 21 2019 at 14:46
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 17:40
You do see some longer songs get split up thanks to the digital age - whether that's a response to listening trends of the younger generation or a desire to make more money depends on who you ask. Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play are now sold with separate tracks for each 'movement'. I remember listening to Suite For Flute and Jazz Piano Trio on Spotify and not only were the movements divided into separate tracks (which is standard practice for classical music), but some of the movements were split into two tracks, which I could only assume was for increasing the play count for royalty purposes.

I don't have a big issue with tracks being divided, just as long as the audio player will play them seamlessly - although I do prefer a single long track. I mean, most people who would take an issue with a song being divided probably wouldn't be caught dead listening to music on shuffle either, and that's really the one case where it makes a difference.

Unfortunately, as much as we call it progressive rock, the world of rock/pop has not really been progressed by it to embrace the idea that a song can be as long or as short as it needs to be. I still see music studios that will charge bands based on the number of songs... Hmm, I wonder if they'll let my band record a 20 minute song for the same price as a 5 minute song.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 17:47
For some reason cutting room makes me think of this - Image result for sting as feyd I will kill him pics
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply