Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Raven That Refused to Sing to Comus

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Choose betwixt this Comus and this Wilson song.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [35.42%]
31 [64.58%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Raven That Refused to Sing to Comus
    Posted: September 28 2019 at 18:15
The title just sprang to mind, thus the poll.

Edited by Logan - September 28 2019 at 18:18
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 23:08
Comus
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 07:17
*spits a much too early for mere mortals beer all over monitor*

yeah...  got it to give it to SWilson..   this time...  give credit where due.. and took long enough after all the sh*t he put out.....  that was a great album
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 07:55
Comus of course
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 07:56
Raven. Fine compositional work from Steven Wilson.
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 08:02
Raven...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 08:34
Raven --it's a powerful song and my fav album of his.
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 10:39
If it were basically any other Steven Wilson song, this would be given to Comus without a second thought. However, in what I find to be a mostly mediocre album, The Raven That Refused To Sing is such an incredibly emotionally impactful and beautiful song that I've got to give my vote to it.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 11:05
Raven...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 11:26
Originally posted by Kempokid Kempokid wrote:

If it were basically any other Steven Wilson song, this would be given to Comus without a second thought. However, in what I find to be a mostly mediocre album, The Raven That Refused To Sing is such an incredibly emotionally impactful and beautiful song that I've got to give my vote to it.

I like both of these very much in a way. I was not a fan of Steven Wilson, but when "The Raven That Refused to Sing" came out, I just loved it (beautiful video too). If not going for a snazzy topic title, I do think "The Herald" would have worked much better going up against it for mood.   I might do that.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 12:36
The Herald is a better song imho than Song To Comus.......but Wilson The Raven  certainly beats Song to Comus for me.
While many are enthralled with First Utterance....it never really spoke to me as being that great an LP.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 12:42
Comus 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 13:58
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The Herald is a better song imho than Song To Comus.......but Wilson The Raven  certainly beats Song to Comus for me.
While many are enthralled with First Utterance....it never really spoke to me as being that great an LP.

"The Herald" is what got me into Comus; I find it so hauntingly beautiful. My personal Comus favourites may be "Winter is a Coloured Bird" and "All the Colours of Darkness", which are sort of bonus tracks. I have them on the Song to Comus: The Complete Collection album, which is no longer complete. That compilation album includes the follow-up album To Keep From Crying, which I seem to enjoy way more than most -- the tracks "Children of the Universe" and "To Keep From Crying" alone would be worth the so-called price of admission for me.

When I got First Utterance, it was an ear-opening album. That was before I really got into a lot of acid folk. Actually, I was already into Spirogyra, and liked the similarities. It's an album that I really love when I'm in the right mood.

One of my very favourite films is The Wicker Man (not the remake with Cage), and I always associate First Utterance with it (just for the folk horror angle). Aside from the film, The Wicker Man soundtrack is a favourite of mine.

I would like First Utterance more than most because not only am I very into acid folk, wyrd folk and freak folk, but also I am very into folk horror, and I love some of the pastoral qualities on the album. So much of our musical, and other arts, appreciation can come from our associations.

Edited by Logan - September 30 2019 at 14:01
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 14:22
I don't like Song to Comus at all (The Herald would add some contest here), while The Raven is a good song, albeit not a killer track like Luminol.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 14:37
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

"The Herald" is what got me into Comus; I find it so hauntingly beautiful. My personal Comus favourites may be "Winter is a Coloured Bird" and "All the Colours of Darkness", which are sort of bonus tracks. I have them on the Song to Comus: The Complete Collection album, which is no longer complete. That compilation album includes the follow-up album To Keep From Crying, which I seem to enjoy way more than most -- the tracks "Children of the Universe" and "To Keep From Crying" alone would be worth the so-called price of admission for me.

When I got First Utterance, it was an ear-opening album. That was before I really got into a lot of acid folk. Actually, I was already into Spirogyra, and liked the similarities. It's an album that I really love when I'm in the right mood.

One of my very favourite films is The Wicker Man (not the remake with Cage), and I always associate First Utterance with it (just for the folk horror angle). Aside from the film, The Wicker Man soundtrack is a favourite of mine.

I would like First Utterance more than most because not only am I very into acid folk, wyrd folk and freak folk, but also I am very into folk horror, and I love some of the pastoral qualities on the album. So much of our musical, and other arts, appreciation can come from our associations.

I am also a fan of The Wicker Man...original. Also a fan of Spirogyra, Mellow Candle, Trees, etc.
I bought Comus on cd (good luck finding and affording the original vinyl..) because I was told it was a must have for fans of prog folk and obscure music in general. After listening I was somewhat disappointed...several of the tracks are very nice but several are a bit too weird for my taste. I understand it's importance in the pantheon of strange prog folk but I would rather listen to Trees, Spirogyra , Gryphon,  or even Fairport.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 20:02
Steve Wilson
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 13:23
Song to Comus
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 14:13
That Wilson-tune wasn't half-bad, but obviously no match for Comus
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 07:47
Raven and Routine are my two favorite Steven Wilson songs, so Raven it is!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 23:20
Steven Wilson - "The Raven That Refused to Sing"
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply