Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dark Side of the Moon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 04:59
I don't think David Gilmour could have made it better than Roy Harper. Harper sounds like a powerful version of Roger Waters. Gilmour would have been very different. Surely he could sing the higher notes, but on that song Harpers voice fits perfectly
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 06:20
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

@RichardH:- "Have a Cigar" and "Welcome to the Machine" are two of the Pink Floyd songs I couldn't find a place for in my blog. I agree it was a bad decision to bring in Roy Harper on vocals for "Have a Cigar" when Dave Gilmour would have sounded much better.

With one exception ... DG does not have the cinycism in his words and voice that Roy has which would make the song much better and more pointed.

Roy Harper is, by far, one of the best poets and writers out there, and his voice is not to be taken for granted, as he is very special, with one problem ... a rock bullsh*t audience, would boo him off the stage as he yelled insults at them, I bet! 

The problem is that the majority of PF folks have never heard a single album by Roy, to even know what he is about ... and the ridiculous comments made about Roy and his singing that song ... is, downright pathetic ... the sort of comment that goes along with every guitar must sound rock'n'roll'ish, and singers can not be different than everyone else, and an intelligent singer that knows what he is doing is stupid and off his kiln.

Roy, btw, was asked to tour with PF, and he declined, because he knew that commentators and fans, like some stuff said about him, is not something he needed to face in his life ... he has more albums than PF and many of them are not over rated and too fat with themselves.  ... and besides ... he gets to play and have fun with Jimmy Page ... and DG doesn't!

Edited by moshkito - October 01 2019 at 06:22
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 10:17
Most PF fans are not prog fans either in general(believe it or not)so it doesn't really matter what they think. LOL
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 11:03
Dark Side of the Moon...an album that is adored by a lot of non proggers...
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 12:49
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I don't think David Gilmour could have made it better than Roy Harper. Harper sounds like a powerful version of Roger Waters. Gilmour would have been very different. Surely he could sing the higher notes, but on that song Harpers voice fits perfectly

Absolutely agree with this.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 10:45

Syd Barrett, the guitarist with Pink Floyd, was a creative genius in his TIME, having written such psychedelic RELICS as "ARNOLD LAYNE" and "SEE EMILY PLAY", where his abstruse lyrics were sometimes OBSCURED BY CLOUDS.  Sadly, his overuse of the psychedelic drug LSD led to BRAIN DAMAGE and mental illness. In A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON, he's rumoured to have walked all the way from London to his home in Cambridge.

While most Pink Floyd fans will be aware that SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND was written as a tribute to Syd Barrett, I wonder how many Pink Floyd fans know that their first album, THE PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN, was a chapter from Kenneth Grahame's book, "The Wind in the Willows".

It's with SORROW  we remember that Syd Barrett (1946-2006) and Richard Wright (1943-2008) are no longer with us and they're now COMFORTABLY NUMB, having both gone to THE GREAT GIG IN THE SKY. I've never seen Pink Floyd perform live IN THE FLESH, but their music will live on forever.  No Prog-Rock band will ever ECLIPSE the music of Pink Floyd, no matter how much TIME goes by in THE ENDLESS RIVER of eternity.

The space-themed songs of Pink Floyd SPEAK TO ME with special appeal because one of my passions in life is ASTRONOMY DOMINE. It's nice to STOP for a moment and dream of ONE OF THESE DAYS leaving MOTHER Earth behind and flying ROUND AND AROUND the universe forever. It'd be GOODBYE BLUE SKY as I SET THE CONTROLS FOR THE HEART OF THE SUN. I'd be LEARNING TO FLY with A NEW MACHINE capable of unimaginable speeds in INTERSTELLAR OVERDRIVE. I'd fly with the PULSE jets FLAMING past THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON towards the FAT OLD SUN and then out into the EMPTY SPACES beyond. Eventually, I'd arrive at the Alpha Centauri CLUSTER ONE star system looking for SIGNS OF LIFE where there are TWO SUNS IN THE SUNSET. I've often wondered IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE in the vast universe or is there NOBODY HOME.

I REMEMBER A DAY back in the mid-1960's when landing a man on the Moon seemed about as likely as seeing PIGS ON THE WING. At the TIME, THE DOGS OF WAR had just been unleashed in Vietnam, when the USA took the disastrous decision to MEDDLE in a foreign war in a faraway land. The more recent calamitous decision to invade Iraq in 2003 has resonant ECHOES of the Vietnam War. Both terrible wars bring into stark contrast the POLES APART difference between war and peaceful space exploration.

American Presidents KEEP TALKING about one day landing a man on Mars and plans are now COMING BACK TO LIFE for a Mars mission. I have HIGH HOPES that we'll one day land men on Mars and that will be A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM. I'll be LOST FOR WORDS if it ever happens in my lifetime. It'll be ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL of space exploration where MONEY is no barrier to scientific discovery. The first men on Mars will be FEARLESS explorers who've made THE FINAL CUT and they won't RUN LIKE HELL at the prospect of ONE SLIP leaving them MAROONED on a distant planet.

Thanks to the Internet, we're now living through some of THE HAPPIEST DAYS OF OUR LIVES and Prog Archives is ONE OF THE FEW websites devoted to Prog-Rock. It's just the website we needed to BREATHE new life into the genre, which appeared to be dying out in the late 1970's with the arrival of Punk Rock. It was a case of US AND THEM, with "Us", the prog-rockers, ranged against "Them", the punk-rockers. Prog-Rock is now COMING BACK TO LIFE with a vengeance and there's much MORE than A SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS just waiting to be rediscovered in the wonderful world of Prog-Rock. The choice of music these days is virtually unlimited and it's not a case of ANY COLOUR YOU LIKE as long as it's black. To any of my friends who haven't yet discovered this amazing site, I say WISH YOU WERE HERE with me to enjoy it.

I can hear the DELICATE SOUND OF THUNDER outside and the rain's pounding against THE WALL. I'm a lover of all ANIMALS, and I often wonder how  PIGS, SHEEP and DOGS cope when they're ON THE RUN outside in the middle of a thunderstorm. I love to watch a thunderstorm at nighttime and I'll often open the curtains in order to LET THERE BE MORE LIGHT coming in from the distant flashes of lightning, which are never OBSCURED BY CLOUDS.

All song and album titles in HIGHLIGHTS by Pink Floyd

Love how you seamlessly folded track titles into your narrative. Very clever, and well done!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 11:09
Thanks for the warm praise. I've been writing song titles messages and blogs since early 2013 and this one took me eight hours to write - that's two hours to write all of Pink Floyd's usable songs down, around four hours to write the actual blog, one hour to give it a final edit and then another hour spent highlighting all of the songs in colour. You might like my Meat Loaf "Bat Out of Hell" blog and Eagles "Hotel California"  blog too if you like this one.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 00:02
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Dark Side of the Moon...an album that is adored by a lot of non proggers...

this is absolutely true. The best album ever to stick on a coffee table and pretend to have great taste.

It was never exactly 'out there' though. Mostly formulaic blues/psyche /rock mix but lyrically it was grounded in human experience and had nothing to do with goblins and elves as apparently most prog is about. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 13:22
I found this excellent documentary today on the making of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" album.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 13:53
Another superb Pink Floyd documentary on the making of the classic album, "The Dark Side of the Moon"

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 15:15

I found this excellent documentary today on the making of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" album.

Thanks man....I think I'd seen this before when it came out, but it was nevertheless wonderful to appreciate again. I love they give a bunch of time to the people behind the band, filling in the interesting spaces that the boys don't talk much about. I love the appreciation of Rick's playing on Shine On. It's cool to hear snippets of Dave singing "Have a Cigar."

For an album where they felt so "absent," it is music that is absolutely not, to me. It is wonderful and spacious, cold/warm, abrasive, freeing, just perfect.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 13:06
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Ditto from me.....
Harper is perfect for that song....and I'm betting his non commercial music stance is one of the reasons he was asked to do it.

Regarding DSOTM...I simply don't play it anymore..heard it far too many times..and if you turn on FM radio in the US you'll eventually hear a track or two.
Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - October 07 2019 at 13:08
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SugarRay View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SugarRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 15:47
I love Pink Floyd and they deserve their place in the Rock N Roll hall of fame.  Appreciate your historical knowledge of the group!
SugarRay
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 16:02
Originally posted by SugarRay SugarRay wrote:

I love Pink Floyd and they deserve their place in the Rock N Roll hall of fame.  Appreciate your historical knowledge of the group!

Thanks Ray! You might be familiar with my song titles blogs from another site that we won't mention on here. Tongue

You're gonna love it here! There's even a thread where you can make up your own favourite 8-track Pink Floyd album, choosing one of your favourite songs from each of eight Pink Floyd albums of your choice. Thumbs Up

You were one of the friends I had in mind when I said in my blog "WISH YOU WERE HERE with me to enjoy ProgArchives" - and now you're here! Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 08 2019 at 16:14
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 16:30
Big fan of PF. Dark side is a bit too over played in my opinion but it's still a quality album for sure. Not my favorite by them but it's a solid record from start to finish.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 08 2019 at 16:32
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 16:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Big fan of PF. Dark side is a bit too over played in my opinion but it's still a quality album for sure. Not my favorite by them but it's a solid record from start to finish.

I'm looking forward to putting together my favourite 8-track Yes album on your "Make Your Own Yes Album" thread. Thumbs Up
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 03:41
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I also agree. Harper's performance was perfect for the song.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 10:24
^Harper sounds like a powerful version of Roger Waters? Is that a good thing?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 11:45
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Let's be real. Harper sounds like a better  version of Roger Waters.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 12:28
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Let's be real. Harper sounds like a better  version of Roger Waters.

Yep.....better is correct and personally I have never thought much of Water's vocals.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>