Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Britannia - Album Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 95>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 15:30
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I think 'Sallyangie' -Children of the Sun is a mediocre folk rock lp....but mildly pleasant at times as you pointed out. 
But one thing that has always perplexed me is why so many people like Oldfield's solo stuff....I bought TB when it came out because of the film The Exorcist and thought it was some what boring . All of his albums seem a bit too pieced together for me and not that interesting. There are some nice moments on the records here and there but overall it just doesn't hold my interest. Just goes to show how tastes vary among prog heads.
I like all of Mike Oldfield's albums apart from Heaven's Open. I doubt if The SallyAngie album will appeal to prog-heads generally, but it's an album I'd be happy to go out and buy for £10 if I could find it in a record store. Smile
It;s somewhat collectable on original vinyl because it;s old...it might go for 20 or 30 dollars here in the states..... saw a copy vg+ on Discogs for about $20 US.
I don't think I have seen one in a while.
Just curious...what do you find interesting about Oldfield's solo work....I think they are  mediocre when it comes to prog lp;s.
I'm genuinely shocked! Are you saying you think Tubular Bells and Ommadawn are mediocre too?

I think they're two of the finest prog albums of all time!

I'll definitely look out for The SallyAngie album the next time I'm in Nottingham, and I may even order it specially if it's not too expensive. I'm a big fan of Sally Oldfield as well as brother Mike. Smile

Well..I own TB, Ridge , and Ommadawn and I think all three are 3.5 star lp/s...on a good day. IMO he's a mediocre guitar player and composer....when I compare someone like him to Yes, KC, or Genesis with Gabriel...imho he's not even close to their compositions. His lp's  meander and are stitched together musical pieces that to me are slow and boring at times. Overrated imho.  But then...I have always favored band oriented music and I'm hard on star ratings in general. I think many prog lp's here are overrated. I think many prog fans are enamored with it and  living in a fantasy world with the music and tend to be too generous when rating things.
Again that's just me....we all have favorites , etc. I'm an older guy and been listening to these things for a long time,,, longer than most on the forum....I think I'm getting a bit cranky and jaded after all these years.
The funny thing is, when I give three stars to a Canterbury Scene album you say I've under-rated it and yet when I give five stars to a Heavy Prog, Psychedelic Rock or Symphonic Prog album you say I've over-rated it. Smile

Tubular Bells and Ommadawn are both worthy of the full five star treatment in my opinion, although I've never been that keen on the Hergest Ridge album, perhaps surprisingly, so I'd only give that album three stars.

The Music of the Spheres, The Songs of Distant Earth and Tubular Bells II & III are all five star Mike Oldfield albums too from my point of view. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 26 2020 at 15:35
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 15:33
I haven't played Rock Bottom in years....it deserves another listen. Still think Oldfield is overrated.....just saying.

:)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 15:39

I haven't played Rock Bottom in years....it deserves another listen. Still think Oldfield is overrated.....just saying.

The first two Robert Wyatt albums and the two Matching Mole albums are only two-star albums for me, so I think our tastes differ quite considerably. As Logan wisely pointed out recently, it's probably best if I avoid reviewing any albums that Robert Wyatt's been involved with from now on, so that rules out the three Egg albums too. Wink

Actually, I just discovered that Robert Wyatt wasn't involved with Egg after all, so maybe I will review one of their albums eventually. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 26 2020 at 15:42
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 15:46

The first two Robert Wyatt albums and the two Matching Mole albums are only two-star albums for me, so I think our tastes differ quite considerably. As Logan wisely pointed out recently, it's probably best if I avoid reviewing any albums that Robert Wyatt's been involved with from now on, so that rules out the three Egg albums too. Wink

Actually, I just discovered that Robert Wyatt wasn't involved with Egg after all, so maybe I will review one of their albums eventually. Smile

I think the Matching Mole lp;s to be the weakest in the Canterbury area...and Egg sounds like ELP on acid....maybe not acid but they are quirky but feature keyboards.
;)
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 15:48

I think 'Sallyangie' -Children of the Sun is a mediocre folk rock lp....but mildly pleasant at times as you pointed out. 
But one thing that has always perplexed me is why so many people like Oldfield's solo stuff....I bought TB when it came out because of the film The Exorcist and thought it was some what boring . All of his albums seem a bit too pieced together for me and not that interesting. There are some nice moments on the records here and there but overall it just doesn't hold my interest. Just goes to show how tastes vary among prog heads.
I like all of Mike Oldfield's albums apart from Heaven's Open. I doubt if The SallyAngie album will appeal to prog-heads generally, but it's an album I'd be happy to go out and buy for £10 if I could find it in a record store. Smile
It;s somewhat collectable on original vinyl because it;s old...it might go for 20 or 30 dollars here in the states..... saw a copy vg+ on Discogs for about $20 US.
Just curious...what do you find interesting about Oldfield's solo work....I think they are  mediocre when it comes to prog lp;s.
I'm genuinely shocked! Are you saying you think Tubular Bells and Ommadawn are mediocre too?

I'll definitely look out for The SallyAngie album the next time I'm in Nottingham, and I may even order it specially if it's not too expensive. I'm a big fan of Sally Oldfield as well as brother Mike. Smile

Well..I own TB, Ridge , and Ommadawn and I think all three are 3.5 star lp/s...on a good day. IMO he's a mediocre guitar player and composer....when I compare someone like him to Yes, KC, or Genesis with Gabriel...imho he's not even close to their compositions. His lp's  meander and are stitched together musical pieces that to me are slow and boring at times. Overrated imho.  But then...I have always favored band oriented music and I'm hard on star ratings in general. I think many prog lp's here are overrated. I think many prog fans are enamored with it and  living in a fantasy world with the music and tend to be too generous when rating things.
Again that's just me....we all have favorites , etc. I'm an older guy and been listening to these things for a long time,,, longer than most on the forum....I think I'm getting a bit cranky and jaded after all these years.
The funny thing is, when I give three stars to a Canterbury Scene album you say I've under-rated it and yet when I give five stars to a Heavy Prog, Psychedelic Rock or Symphonic Prog album you say I've over-rated it. Smile

Tubular Bells and Ommadawn are both worthy of the full five star treatment in my opinion, although I've never been that keen on the Hergest Ridge album, perhaps surprisingly, so I'd only give that album three stars.

The Music of the Spheres, The Songs of Distant Earth and Tubular Bells II & III are all five star Mike Oldfield albums too from my point of view. Smile

You have definitely underrated the Canterbury lp's and others have also told you so. You are a majority of one.
And the 5 star lp's you have rated simply aren't 5 stars....you must have reviewed them while drunk.
But you also overrate things all the time...you are far too easy a critic. I rarely hand out a 5 star lp.
Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - February 26 2020 at 15:51
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 15:51
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

The Sallyangie 'Children of the Sun has been re-issued a couple of times in the last few years on vinyl; I had a spare copy and only just recently sold it! Ive got a white label promo copy which is worth a few quid! Its a nice enough lp, very much of its time..

Funny thing, personal tastes.. im as horrified that you'd find 'Rock Bottom' a 2 star lp as you are finding someone who doesn't find Mike Oldfield's lps very interestingWink... There are nuances to Robert Wyatt's work that are truly sublime, particularly on Rock Bottom.. it is an lp that takes a few listens to let it seep in.. and maybe reading a bit about Robert's Life (his 'different every time' book is one of the best books- not only biography but giving a real feel of how the decades changed, politically, socially and artistically) will give a bit of insight.. He is a true genius and someone who has quietly kept his distance from the progressive tag (despite being one of the pioneers).Smile
To be honest, it was Robert Wyatt's singing on Rock Bottom that put me off the album right from the outset, and I wasn't that enamoured of the music on the album either. Maybe the Canterbury Scene isn't really my scene as I only gave Hatfield & the North's Rotters's Club album a three-star rating and review recently when most other PA members gave the album a four or five star rating. I'm not a fan of Soft Machine either.  I really like the music of Caravan though, as they represent the far more approachable end of the Canterbury Scene. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 15:54

You have definitely underrated the Canterbury lp's and others have also told you so. You are a majority of one.
And the 5 star lp's you have rated simply aren't 5 stars....you must have reviewed them while drunk.
But you also overrate things all the time...you are far too easy a critic. I rarely hand out a 5 star lp.
Wink
Actually, I don't drink, but the albums probably would've sounded even better if I had been drunk when I reviewed them. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 09:01
DEMON FUZZ - Afreaka! (1970)

Album Review #112:- 5 stars  DEMON FUZZ were a psychedelic Jazz-Funk collective with a heart full of Soul! The seven members of Demon Fuzz all emigrated to Britain from Commonwealth countries in the early 1960's. The name of the band and the title of their first album "Afreaka!" (1970) gives some indication of the funky, psychedelic-infused, African tribal rhythms you can expect to hear on this freaky debut album.  A compilation album titled "Roots and Offshoots" (1976) was later released on an independent label following the break-up of the band in the early 1970's. A CD re-issue of "Afreaka!" added three bonus tracks to the original five lengthy songs on the album.

We enter the mysterious world of Demon Fuzz with "Past, Present & Future", a psychedelic trip back in time to a bygone age of half a century ago. This funky Jazz-Rock album has really stood the test of time. Stir in some Graham Bond Organisation, Ginger Baker's Air Force, Brian Auger & the Trinity, and add a liberal dose of Funkadelic (all from the same early 1970's era), and you have a recipe for success with the sound of Demon Fuzz. Altogether now..... "They don't make music like this any more!" - and that's certainly the case with this superb debut. When you hear the first burst from the acid fuzz-toned guitar in the opening, swiftly followed by a storming horn section, you know you're about to hear something rather special indeed here, and so it proves to be. "Past, Present and Future" is a 10-minute long instrumental masterpiece of bold and brassy Jazz, featuring a hypnotic captivating rhythm. This cool and groovy music is sure to delight hippyish fans of the psychedelic sixties era too. "Afreaka!" has announced its impressive arrival in no uncertain terms with a fabulous fanfare of trumpets! The second piece of music is titled "Disillusioned Man", but you certainly won't be a disillusioned man (or woman) when you hear this lively and soulful number for the first time. It's a five-minute wonder in a fifty-five-minute-long album of stonkingly good tunes. All of the Jazzy elements are here in full force too, featuring an extended sexy solo on the alto sax and with the organ player belting out some funky rhythms in dazzling accompaniment. The singer sounds in mighty fine voice too with just the kind of deep and soulful vocals needed for this kind of groovy psychedelic Jazz album. He's a Soul Brother! Our musical journey continues with "Another Country", another storming Jazz rocker in what is turning out to be an album full of highlights, and we're barely halfway through the album yet. This is eight and a half minutes of soulful Jazz-Rock heaven!

We're in a mellower mood for "Hymn to Mother Earth", an 8-minute-long devotional epic praising the joys of life on our fair
planet. This is a truly beautifully angelic number featuring a heavenly choir and some lovely laid-back percussion. There's also
a soothing organ to help you reach the musical equivalent of Cloud 9. This tremendous piece of music also features a soaring
horn section which will lift you heavenwards on a  joyous emotional high. Yes, it really is THAT good! It's a truly outstanding
slice of smooth and soulful Jazz which bears repeated listening, just like the album as a whole. This is the kind of gloriously
inspirational music that would have folks flocking to Sunday church in their masses, if only..... The fifth and final song "Mercy
(Variation No. 1)" opens with a tribal jungle drums rhythm which rumbles along nicely before the whole band "freaks out" and
goes absolutely ape-crazy strutting their funky stuff in a Jazzy free-for-all of wild and sensational improvisation. This is
wonderful stuff from seven musicians at the top of their game in what is a suitably rousing conclusion to a stupendous album!

Demon Fuzz have left us with one marvellously unique album of what can best be described as soulful Jazz-Funk/Rock tinged with a healthy splash of fuzzy psychedelic colours. In other words, it's a veritable smorgasbord of musical delicacies which the band have expertly blended together to make one outstanding album. "Afreaka!" is a timeless evergreen album that always sounds great whether you listen to it in the "Past, Present or Future".

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 27 2020 at 15:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2020 at 08:04
DEAD CAN DANCE - Album Ratings Only:-

3 stars Dead Can Dance (1984)
4 stars Spleen and Ideal (1985)
5 stars Within the Realm of a Dying Sun (1987)
4 stars The Serpent's Egg (1988)
3 stars Aion (1990)
4 stars Into the Labyrinth (1993)
4 stars Toward the Within (1994)
4 stars Spiritchaser (1996)
5 stars Anastasis (2012)
4 stars Dionysus (2018)

I was planning to review Velvett Fogg's one and only album next (of which Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath fame was once a member), but I just discovered the album is not listed on ProgArchives, so I'll be reviewing an album by Glencoe instead, seeing as they've just been added to ProgArchives at my suggestion. Smile 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 02:11
Is this an/your actual site, OP, or just nostalgia thread?! Either way it rules! Tongue

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 09:05
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Is this an/your actual site, OP, or just nostalgia thread?! Either way it rules! Tongue
Thanks! Prog Britannia was the name of a BBC documentary about British prog, but I did have my own music site at one time. It was called You Tube Episodes & Music and it ran from February 2013 until October 2015 when the money ran out. Smile

By the way, I'll add your votes to the Symphonic Prog Top 10 if you want to come up with another Top 10  poll of *ten different artists*. Either that, or I could count one artist each from your existing Top 10. For instance, one each from your top albums by Yes, Genesis, and so on.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 02 2020 at 09:13
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 12:46

Wink

I'm going to weigh in here because my opinion differs from both of yours, and I think it's important for others to see that there are other perspectives. 

Canterbury albums from the 1960s and 1970s are notorious for their poor sound engineering and often cheap production, hence I'm not sure anyone would be unjustified rating these albums down. The performances are also often quite raw and filled with flaws (to which we old-timers laugh and praise, inured to and accepting of these mistakes, as we are). I would love to sit and watch a teenager or 20-something sit down to listen to one of their vinyl albums (as I've read with empathy reviews of other "youngsters" listening to classic Yes, Genesis, Crimson, ELP, or VDGG as they cringe, mystified at the praise they've read for that which they are listening to). 

Every here knows I am quite liberal with my four and five star reviews. This due to two predominant factors: 1) I most often choose to only post reviews of albums that I want to draw people's attention to (it takes a lot of time and energy to write a decent review of the 300-400 new albums I listen to per year) or 2) as a failed musician, I KNOW the time and talent it takes just to put together and publish an album, much less an album of complex progressive rock music; with this in mind, I could never muster the arrogance to denigrate someone's legitimate talent and effort--unless it is far below that which I think I or my amateur brothers could do better. I can never remember the PA wording for what each star is supposed to signify, but to me a three star album is a good effort, admirable for being able to pull it off, deserving of being in PA and getting other people's attention and opinions, better than I could ever have conceived or done. 

Saying this, there is very little from the Canterbury domain that feels perfected or polished, yet most of it is astonishing for its creativity and playful inventiveness--plus, the musicians are usually quite competent at their instruments. 

Mike Oldfield has always felt, to me, a master of masturbatory self-parody; Tubular Bells was fresh for its time but is hardly listenable today. All versions of Ommadawn make for tolerable though-sometimes-irritating background music, while Hergest Ridge--both versions--haunt me with some of the best melodies and most flowing continuity of any full length instrumental album, ever. Everything Mike did after Incantations feels like production for production's sake, repetition of all that had come before, in other words, w**king for money. (though I DO understand his continual return to previous works and themes: it is very difficult for many artists to ever think that a piece of art is finished/cannot be improved.) And yes, everything he's ever done feels like stitched together themes... but then, that's what so much of prog artists made their passion: stitching together multiple musical themes (usually employing lyrical stories to help tie it all together). The prog "epic" is one of the signatory contributions the genre has made to the music world and one that many of us look for in our music--concepts, cohesive themes, operatic and/or symphonic constructs.

The perspectives represented by your "conversation" here are, once again, examples of one of the prime reasons human interaction-as-language evolved: we all have our own perspectives, our own likes and dislikes, our own tastes, our own preferences. And it's okay: In the big picture, THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG, there is only different.  

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 06:18
I agree. There's no right or wrong when it comes to rating an album. We all have our own differing opinions when it comes to prog, and that's all part of what makes ProgArchives such an endlessly fascinating place to be. Smile
I've just taken a look at the ratings and reviews for Hatfield & the North"s "Rotters' Club" album and I noticed 16% of reviewers rated the album three stars or lower, so I'm not exactly in a minority of one. I honestly couldn't justify giving the album four stars when it's definitely not an album I'd want to go out and buy. After all, my ratings are based on my own subjective opinion of an album, regardless of what ratings other PA members have given an album, and besides, I've never been one for following the crowd. Smile

I love all three volumes of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, all of which are worthy of five stars in my opinion, as well as Ommadawn, The Music of the Spheres and The Songs of Distant Earth.

I've taken a look at the ratings for my first 100 album reviews and counted 50 five-star ratings out of that total. They were all carefully selected albums though that I particularly like. If I'd just chosen 100 albums totally at random to review, then my ratings would obviously have been a lot more varied. Smile

I was planning to review one of Glencoe's two albums today, as I understood they'd  recently been added to ProgArchives, although they don't appear to be here yet. Confused

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 03 2020 at 06:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 14:51
PALADIN - Charge! (1972)

Album Review #113:- 5 stars PALADIN were a short-lived English Heavy Prog band, named after the knights of Charlemagne's court - the French equivalent to King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Having chosen a suitably proggy bandname, Paladin embarked on their musical quest with the release of a self-titled album on the Bronze record label in 1971, which unfortunately failed to attract much attention from the record-buying public with its plain black album cover. Their second album "Charge!" (1972) featured fantasy cover art by Roger Dean, but the album still suffered from poor sales, and the gallant musical knights of Paladin dismounted their trusty steeds and hung up their armour forever in late 1972. To secure Paladin's place in the prog history books, a later 2-CD re-issue of the "Charge!" album was released in 1996, doubling up the original seven songs on the album, and a compilation album of Jazzy tracks was released under the title of "Jazzattack" in 2002.

Paladin are armed and ready to do battle with "Give Me Your Hand", a funky 8-minute-long Jazz-Rock number that definitely doesn't need "more cowbell", as there are cowbells in abundance on this lively rocker. This is like the kind of electrifying high- energy opener you might hear on a Santana or Savoy Brown album. These gallant Paladin knights are charging full-speed ahead on a burst of frenetic energy and raw adrenalin in a storming crusade of guitars, keyboards and pounding percussion. The soulful vocalist packs an impassioned punch too with this rousing chorus:- "Give me your hand, lead me on, Through this moment of despair, oh, Give me your hand, lead me on, Show me something that's still there." ..... This peerless band of musical knights have really set the bar high with this very impressive album opener. Can we expect Paladin to keep up the incredible pace throughout the album!?? "Well We Might", because that's the title of their second searing offering. There's no doubt about it, "Well We Might" is a super-charged Blues-Rock song that barrels along relentlessly for five breath-taking minutes like a diesel locomotive on full power. These intrepid knights sure know how to ROCK!! It's another dazzling display of roof-raising keyboards, guitars and percussion, all jousting to see who's the loudest and mightiest musician of them all, with amplifiers that probably go all the way up to eleven. The band barely have time for a breather with "Get One Together" either, as Paladin have got together again to deliver another real hell-for-leather barnstormer of a song. This pummelling instrumental rocker sounds like a funky cross between Uriah Heep and Santana, which can best be described as Funk Rock that's as hard and heavy as a block of granite. The fourth Very 'eavy and Very 'umble song "Anyway" has shades of Deep Purple and Uriah Heep. It's a rousing anthemic number which dramatically gathers in pace, reminding one of "July Morning" by Uriah Heep or "Child in Time" by Deep Purple. Either way, "Anyway" is an uplifting and inspirational song to close out Side One on a spiritual and emotional high-point.

"Good Lord", is that the time!? Yes, it's time for an extended fruity jam session where the musicians give a High and Mighty display of heavy Stormbringer prog at its absolute best, in the best Demons and Wizards traditions of Uriah Heep and Deep Purple, spiced up with the funky sound of the Allman Brothers and Santana. This sensational band have it all! Can it possibly get any better than this!?? YES IT CAN, because on the way now is "Mix Your Mind with Moonbeams", which might sound like some weird, stoned-out psychedelic acid trip, going by the title alone, but it's really a full-blown Heavy Prog epic, guaranteed to lift you up into prog heaven and beyond. This roaring soaring prog anthem is another stunning highlight of the album, alongside the marvellous "Anyway" at the close of Side One. We're taking it easy now and getting into a mellower mood for "Watching the World Pass By", with a deceptively light and breezy harmonica and keyboard opening. This just serves as a prelude though for another monstrous blast of powerful keyboard prog for a storming conclusion to a terrific album.

Paladin are the mother of all funky Jazz-Rock bands, with influences to be heard from the Allman Brothers, Deep Purple, Santana, Savoy Brown and Uriah Heep. These chivalrous knights are charged-up and ready to do battle in a dynamic explosion of thunderous keyboards, blistering guitars and pounding percussion. When it comes to Heavy Prog, Paladin are like gallant knights in shining armour charging full-speed ahead in a searing blaze of take-no-prisoners musical glory!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 06 2020 at 00:46
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 16:16
Wow...I haven't heard that one mentioned in a long time....a long time....my friend Tom had an original on vinyl. One I don't have on cd....decent music,,, but 5 stars...?

I want you to write my obituary.

Wink 

Edited by dr wu23 - March 03 2020 at 16:17
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 16:55

Wow...I haven't heard that one mentioned in a long time....a long time....my friend Tom had an original on vinyl. One I don't have on cd....decent music,,, but 5 stars...?

I want you to write my obituary.

Wink 

It's good to know I brought that long-forgotten Paladin album to your attention again, and you know me well enough by now to know that a Heavy Prog album is more than likely going to get a five-star rating from me. Wink

By the way, Paladin were a last-minute replacement for an album review I was going to write for either Velvett Fogg or Glencoe, neither of whom are included on ProgArchives at the moment.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 03 2020 at 16:56
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 20:36
Wow..another blast from the past....Velvett Fogg...again Tom had that one on vinyl and it was in my basement for a while until he moved them when he went to Colorado.
Can't say it did much for me, more of an artifact from that time period.

Edited by dr wu23 - March 03 2020 at 20:46
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 01:06

Wow..another blast from the past....Velvett Fogg...again Tom had that one on vinyl and it was in my basement for a while until he moved them when he went to Colorado.
Can't say it did much for me, more of an artifact from that time period.

Yes, it's a pity Tony Iommi's  Velvett Fogg aren't on ProgArchives. I have a feeling it'd be another five-star album if I'd reviewed it. Wink

I could suggest Velvett Fogg be included in the Proto-Prog section of PA, but I think they would most likely be rejected if past experience is anything to go by. Confused

By the way, I found Paladin yesterday on your handy list of underground bands - an endless source of long-lost album treasures. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 04 2020 at 01:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 13:56
TUDOR LODGE - Tudor Lodge (1970)

Album Review #114:- 4 stars TUDOR LODGE were a charming Prog Folk trio from Reading in southern England, who are often compared with (and sometimes confused with) Trader Horne. The trio of merry minstrels are best-known for their eponymously-titled "Tudor Lodge" album in 1970, but the band have been touring and recording on and off for well over forty years now. It seemed like their self-titled album from 1970 might be the last we'd ever hear of Tudor Lodge, but they made a surprising comeback over a quarter of a century later with five further albums:- "Let's Talk" (1997); "It All Comes Back" (1998); "Dream" (1999); "Runaway" (2003); & "Unconditional" (2006).

We begin with a lovely nostalgic trip back in time for "It All Comes Back To Me", a saccharine-sweet Folk song that's very reminiscent of early Fairport Convention with Judy Dyble. This beautiful trip down memory lane will bring back fond memories of that bygone age when there were a whole plethora of delightfully endearing Folk albums just like the album we have here. "It All Comes Back To Me" is a haunting refrain with a semi-classical opening and featuring heavenly angelic vocals from Ann Steuart (not a misspelling) with the two male vocalists providing some delicious harmonisation. This is a truly gorgeous opening to the album, in the true spirit of Fairport and Pentangle, and of course, Trader Horne too, who released their "Morning Way" album around the same time as this album. "Would You Believe" this album can possibly get any better!?? Yes, indeed it can, because "Would You Believe" is a lovely melody with all three travelling troubadours playing jangling acoustic guitars in perfect symmetry together and featuring some exquisite three-part harmonies too. This song and album as a whole also features cellos, violins and woodwind instruments in abundance too, which all adds to the gentle pastoral charm of the music. "Would You Believe" sounds like a very pleasant hybrid cross between Magna Carta, Simon & Garfunkel, and The Association, with those oh-so-beautiful three-part harmonies very much at the forefront. Tudor Lodge is proving to be a very desirable property to own so far. "Recollection" continues the pleasant nostalgia trip with a tune that sounds like it could have come straight from The Seekers songbook. The bright and uplifting vocal harmonies are as clear as a bell and that's something that really shines through on this outstanding Folk album. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say this album sounds as good as, if not better than anything Fairport Convention have ever done, so it's a pity Tudor Lodge haven't managed to gain the wider recognition they deserve. They were one of the many touring bands on the early-1970's English Folk circuit who never quite managed to make the big breakthrough to the big time in the same way as Pentangle, Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention obviously did. Our fourth song "Two Steps Back" features Ann Steuart taking the vocal lead this time around, and sounding like a beguiling cross between Joan Baez and Judy Collins. This very appealing song sounds like it could have had the potential to become a real Folk classic if only it had received any radio airplay at the time of its release, but sadly, it wasn't to be. This memorable song has a very catchy hook-line that's very much in the style of "Diamonds and Dust" by Joan Baez. It's one of those evergreen timeless classics that sounds strangely familiar, even though you may be hearing it for the very first time. It's also a gorgeous slice of nostalgia - just like the album as a whole - that you can keep coming back to time and time again and never tire of listening to. Our musical journey continues with "Help Me Find Myself", a lovely Folk song that's positively bursting with sunshine, conjuring up a rustic image of strolling through fields of buttercups, daisies and dandelions on a beautiful summer's day. This is the kind of song (and album) that could ONLY have come from the much- missed late-1960's/early 1970's Folk era, the like of which we'll sadly never see or hear again, but we can still treasure the memories forever every time we put this gem of an album on the record player. Side One concludes now with "Nobody's Listening", another charming Folk song in what is turning out to be a very fine album indeed. Every ardent fan of the early 1970's English Folk scene will almost certainly enjoy listening to "Nobody's Listening".

Moving swiftly through the remaining half a dozen songs now to avoid a hopelessly long review (although it may be too late for that already), we arrive underneath the "Willow Tree", which represents quite a departure from the jolly Folk tunes on Side One. "Willow Tree" takes us into the spookier dimensions of slightly disturbing Psych-Folk - although nowhere near as sinister as the spectral music of Comus. The opening of "Willow Tree" is eerily discordant, which only adds to the creepy and mysterious atmosphere. This just serves as a prelude though for a hauntingly-beautiful melodic soundscape of swirling pastoral Folk. "Willow Tree" is a real album highlight! We're not out of the woods yet as the next song is titled "Forest", which is a typical pastoral Folk song about taking a country ramble through an autumnal leaf-strewn forest, filled with chirruping squirrels and squawking blackbirds. It's generally a celebration of the wonders of Mother Nature in all of her infinite loveliness, so this song will no doubt have special appeal to hippyish environmentalists and Green Party activists. It's also a jolly nice tune too. The next song "I See a Man" is a sad melancholic refrain about the futility of war, as these thoughtful soul- searching lyrics reveal:- " I see a young man in early days of war, Who wants nothing more than to do the best he can, And so he volunteers to join the grenadiers, And fight the battle for his fellow man. I see a man who is welcomed home a hero, The crowds cheer as he holds his head up high, For now the war is past and now he's home at last, The crowd don't notice the tears in his eyes. I see a proud man who fought for his country, He did everythng a soldier could do, But now he's getting old and many times his story's told, The crowd don't even know his name any more." ..... It's always the sad songs that reach most deeply into the depths of the soul. Anyway, cheer up, because "The Lady's Changing Home" is on the way, which is an altogether jollier tune with a bright and catchy melody. It's the longest song - at four and a half minutes long - and also the most commercially appealing song on the album, featuring the sound of a funky electric guitar for the first time on the album. "The Lady's Changing Home" is a good all-round Beatle-esque Pop song with a rousing anthemic chorus, which marks a very pleasant and unexpected departure from the Folky tunes on the rest of the album. It's another album highlight in an album that somehow manages to get better and better as it goes along. You certainly won't find any mediocre album fillers here! We're off to meet the fair maiden "Madeline" now, and very pretty she is too. It's a gentle acoustic guitar instrumental, which serves as a pleasant horticultural introduction to the ephemeral 2-minute-long "Kew Gardens" (a Ralph McTell song). It's the 12th and final song on the album with those gorgeous three-part harmonies very much in evidence again. "Kew Gardens" is just as lovely as the song title implies, bringing the album to a delightful and memorable conclusion.

Tudor Lodge stands out like a magnificent Mansion on the Hill! There's a once-in-a-lifetime investment opportunity to acquire the very desirable oak-beamed Tudor Lodge at a very affordable price. The property has a delightful Olde Worlde artful decor and is situated in a lovely rural idyll. The purchase of the strikingly impressive Tudor Lodge will take you on a nostalgic trip back in time to a wonderful never-to-be-repeated bygone age of peaceful pastoral Folk, with twelve beautifully furnished rooms/songs to explore. This charming Folk album from yesteryear sounds as warm and comforting as lying on a soft woolly rug in front of a nice blazing log fire with a cup of hot cocoa in the middle of winter. Baby, it may be cold outside, but it'll give you a lovely warm feeling listening to the music inside the "Tudor Lodge"!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 04 2020 at 15:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 09:18
TURNING POINT - Creatures of the Night (1977)
1. My Lady C

2. The Journey

3. Vanishing Dream

4. Creatures of the Night

5. Princess Aura

6. Rain Dance

7. Better Days

Album Review #115:- 4 stars TURNING POINT were a British Jazz-Rock/Fusion band of the late 1970's with two albums to their credit:- "Creatures of the Night" (1977) and "Silent Promise" (1978). They emerged from the remnants of another short-lived Jazz-Rock/Fusion band by the name of Isotope. Turning Point are closely associated with the Canterbury Scene, ably supporting National Health on their U.K tour in 1977. After a final tour in 1980, Turning Point broke up and went their separate ways. "Creatures of the Night" contains four pieces of music around the five minute mark on Side One, with three longer improvisational tunes of seven or eight minutes duration on Side Two. Although the mostly Jazzy instrumentals don't contain any actual lyrics, there's a stunning vocalese performance from Pepi Lemer to be heard throughout the album.

Put your feet up and relax because we're getting into a mellow mood for the album opener "My Lady C", a nicely laid-back piece of instrumental Jazz, featuring delicate percussion, soothing guitars and a subdued brass section. Listen carefully for the hauntingly beautiful wordless vocals from Pepi Lemer too. They really add a whole extra dimension to this captivating piece of music with its hypnotic enchanting rhythm. "My Lady C" is the smoothest of smooth jazz and marks a very auspicious opening to the album. It's easy to see why Turning Point would have been the perfect match made in Jazz heaven when they supported the Canterbury Scene band National Health on their 1977 U.K tour, as the music of Turning Point is very similar in style to the aforementioned band. The obvious similarities between the two bands are even more prevalent on the second piece of music: "The Journey". Again, it's another warm-sounding and melodious tune, with the added benefit of those heavenly vocalise overdubs from Pepi Lemer. The Canterbury Scene vocalise trio of Barbara Gaskin, Amanda Parsons and Ann Rosenthal immediately springs to mind from both the Hatfield & the North and the National Health line-ups. In fact, the sophisticated Jazzy music of Turning Point is as close to the Canterbury Scene sound as you can possibly get without actually being *IN* the Canterbury Scene, so you'll know exactly what to expect from this album if you're at all familiar with the Canterbury Scene sound. The third song "Vanishing Dream" is a two-part piece of music, with the first part sounding like some horrid musical nightmare, with its discordant improvisational mish-mash of sounds. Thankfully, this manic free-for-all only lasts for just over a minute before the music emerges like a beautiful butterfly into a tranquil dream of smooth and melodious Jazz. We now arrive at the title track "Creatures of the Night" for the closing song on Side One. It's a lively and up-tempo instrumental Jazz number following in the best traditions of Hatfield & the North and National Health. "Creatures of the Night" is a remarkably uplifting piece of music for a song without lyrics, and that accolade applies to the album as a whole too.

"Princess Aura" is the first of the lengthier songs on the album, running at over eight minutes long, so there's plenty of time for some Jazzy experimentation here. The music alternates between gently laid-back tunes, interspersed with lively outbreaks of intricate and complex Jazz. This is the kind of wild improvisational Jazz where a drummer really gets to test his mettle with some very tricky offbeat time signatures. The end result is a very diverse and endlessly entertaining piece of music that deserves repeated listening to admire the expert musicianship on offer here. The dynamic keyboard player and spirited horn section sound like they're having a real blast, and there is of course the added princess-like aura of Pepi Lemer's wordless vocals to add sheer delight to the overall sound of "Princess Aura". We're slowing the pace down somewhat for "Rain Dance", a laid-back groovy Jazz number featuring a sensational sax solo and a sassy synthesiser in accompaniment, ably aided and abetted by a funky percussionist beating out a syncopated rhythm. If it's damp and dismal outside, then what better way to pass the time than listening to "Rain Dance" inside. The weather outlook is looking good now as "Better Days" are on the way. "Better Days" is the seventh and final piece of music on the album, featuring a simply stunning synth solo and a rousing horn section, and just as you'd expect from the concluding song, it's an emotionally uplifting piece of music to close out the album in fine style. All of the music on the album is of a consistently high standard, but in a classic case of saving the best song till last, Turning Point have really delivered their ace in the hole with "Better Days".  This talented bunch of musicians have graduated with flying colours and full honours here in the University of Jazzy Prog.

Turning Point's very impressive debut is an album with obvious appeal to fans of the Canterbury Scene sound of Hatfield & the North and National Health. "Creatures of the Night" also has the added benefit of being far more approachable and listenable than the endlessly complex music of Hatfield & the North. If you've already tentatively dipped your toes into the Canterbury Scene with the melodic music of Caravan, then this album would make an ideal turning point on the long and winding Canterbury Scene trail. Turning Point's sophomore album "Silent Promise" (1978) might be worth checking out too if you like this album.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 07 2020 at 15:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 95>